Downton Abbey!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Downton Abbey!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

** SPOILER WARNING FOR SERIES 4, EPISODE 6**

There were a couple of scenes in last night's episode which I found really touching. One consisted of Isobel Crawley, Lady Mary and Tom Branson sharing memories of their deceased husbands/wives. There was a real bond between them as they reminisced.

Another was Daisy's goodbye to Alfred, with her being so brave and him being so understanding.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode, which looks at if it's going to be very dramatic.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I agree with you, Anita. The scenes where the ladies were sharing their memories was very good, and of course brave Daisy saying goodbye to Alfred. I wonder if Edith (I think her name is) will let everyone into the secret that she is expecting.

I'm also now wondering about the relationship of Mr. Barrow, and her ladyship's maid - the new one - I wonder if she could be Barrow's mother or some relation. He has obvioulsy got a hold on her in some way as she has to be a spy in the camp!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

** SPOILER WARNING FOR SERIES 4, EPISODE 8**

I enjoyed last night's episode but some things fell flat and I felt that a lot was being saved for the Christmas special.

Have we had any clues whatsoever as to what might have happened to Michael Gregson, who now seems to have been missing for several months? And did his disappearance bring Edith's article-writing to an abrupt end? I know it's a wicked thought, but it crossed my mind that if Miss O' Brien were still there she could do her stuff for Edith with her magic bar of soap! :twisted:

What a let-down that Mr. Green was killed off-screen. We're obviously meant to suspect Mr. Bates, in which case perhaps he tripped the valet up with his trusty stick! If it wasn't Mr. Bates, surely we're not going to have yet another plot thread about him being suspected of committing murder when he didn't?!

Once again, what stuck in my mind were the sweet scenes of affection, friendship and companionship - Mr. Mason's wise advice to Daisy as they picnicked in an idyllic spot (funny how it was sunny there but not at the bazaar!), Daisy's words to Alfred as she handed over the basket of food from the farm (I got the impression she still loves him but isn't prepared to settle for being his reserve choice) and Mrs. Patmore's pride at Daisy's strength of character. Isobel and Violet have also had some lovely scenes together in recent episodes, playing cards etc.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Some nice reflections there Anita.you have summed up the last episode exactly as I saw it.You are very observant.
Did you by any chance spot the bottle of HP Sauce on the kitchen table in the servants quarters?? :D

Could it be 'product placement' or 'period detail'?? It looked very similar to a modern day bottle to me.Perhaps the design and logo haven't changed much over the years? :D

It seems this sauce has history!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... age128.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I didn't spot the H.P. Sauce yesterday, Pete, but I bet the researchers for the programme have great fun looking up when different products became available and introducing them into the series - especially products which viewers will recognise as they're still around today.

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Overall I enjoyed series 4 but it just didn't do enough to redeem itself after it ruined last Christmas and whilst I'm looking forward to this Christmas' special episode (which isn't set at Christmas :evil: ) I think it's time to wrap it up after season 5.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I quite agree. It irritates me more than entertains now. I much prefer The Paradise, shown on BBC1 at 8pm on Sundays.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Mmmmm Downton has certainly lost much of its spark I agree.What about that 'Mr Selfridge' is that any good???
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There are similarities between Mr Selfridge and The Paradise. I would say that Selfridge has run its course.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I enjoyed Downton, even though there was the controversial scene with Mr. Green and Ana. So I am looking forward to the Christmas edition. I just hope they don't arrest Mr. Bates, as somehow it seems impossible that he could have done the deed of pushing Mr. Green under the said vehicle. How could he have got from York to London, that quickly, and in those days on a steam train. A quick look through Bradshaws guide, will hopefully, tie in that he couldn't have been at the scene at the time of the accident. So who was in London at that time. Lady Mary was of course with Ana!! Or maybe Mr Bates went to York to see a certain person who knew a man who could do the deed!!!!

Of course Mr. Green could quite easily have just had an accident which killed the unfortunate fellow!

I guess we'll all be guessing now!

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Julie2owlsdene wrote:So who was in London at that time. Lady Mary was of course with Ana!!
There you are then! (The paragraph that follows is completely tongue-in-cheek! :wink: ):

Anna realised that Mr. Bates could never rest until Mr. Green was dead, so she did the deed herself to save him having to do it. She risks being caught and sent to prison, but her husband would be able to visit her there just as she used to visit him - and she can be sure she'll be forever on a pedestal in his eyes. As long as she has Mr. Bates' love and has managed to save him from going to prison (or being hanged) himself, nothing else matters to her. She'll also have the satisfaction of knowing that she has no doubt saved many other women from Mr. Green, who clearly felt no remorse for his actions at all but just gloated in Anna's presence - and would most likely have struck again in other households. When we heard Lady Mary saying, "What if you know someone has done something wrong but you think it was justified?" (or something to that effect), she was thinking about what Anna had done!

Of course, if Mr. Green had raped women before it's possible that he was killed by someone else who was taking revenge for an attack he made on another woman.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:How could he have got from York to London, that quickly, and in those days on a steam train.
I'm not sure exactly where the nearest station is to Downton Abbey, but the town of Thirsk is often mentioned in the programme. These days it takes two and a half hours to travel from Thirsk to London by train, and would have taken longer in the early 1920s. Nevertheless, quite a few characters in the series do go to London for the day.

What time of the day was Mr. Green killed? I can't remember whether anyone said.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Great thoughts, Anita. :lol: You never know, your tongue in cheek theory could well be proven correct. :)

I think we should all get our thinking caps on and try and solve this mystery ourselves! :lol:

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Rape and Murder

Post by Moonraker »

Who would have thought we would live to see the day when topics concerning rape and murder would appear on the Blyton forums... :shock:
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Sad to say that Downton Abbey does disappoint at times. For a real period piece Edwardian era TV series one should pick up a DVD box-set of Flambards :D
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Good news girls! Lady Mary's tiara is for hire for your big day from Bentley and Skinner at £1,250; a minor detail is a deposit of £125,000 before its handed over.........
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.