Downton Abbey!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: Downton Abbey!

Post by Katharine »

Titanic - The series? Surely they just get on the ship, it hits an iceberg and most of them drown? :roll:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

In a nutshell, yes! However, it didn't stop them making a lengthy film about it! :lol:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony Summerfield wrote:In a nutshell, yes! However, it didn't stop them making a lengthy film about it! :lol:
True. :roll:
Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Katharine wrote:Titanic - The series? Surely they just get on the ship, it hits an iceberg and most of them drown? :roll:
That's right give away the ending! :shock:
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sorry Shadow, next time I'll put a spoiler alert. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Maybe this Titanic doesn't sink! Afterall, history says that it wasn't the Titanic that sunk, but it's sister ship, whose name escapes me at the moment!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:...history says that it wasn't the Titanic that sunk, but its sister ship, whose name escapes me at the moment!
Never heard that one, Julie. Are you referring to the Britannic, which sank in 1916?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:...history says that it wasn't the Titanic that sunk, but its sister ship, whose name escapes me at the moment!
Never heard that one, Julie. Are you referring to the Britannic, which sank in 1916?
Thre were three. Olympic, Titanic and Britannic.

http://www.starway.org/Titanic/Sister_Ships.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by poddys »

The whole point of a mini-series like this is to drag out the story, to introduce you to the characters, make you fall in love with them (or hate them), and then watch them drown...

My wife was looking at a site last night, not sure of the url but it's Encyclopaedia Titanica. It has complete passenger and crew lists, and it's just sad to see the lists of names going on and on, and the fate that befell them (saved on lifeboat, body identified, lost at sea etc).

We live in Southampton, where Titanic sailed from, and at the time it sailed there was a general strike and high unemployment. As a result many people from Southampton got jobs on the ship, and paid a heavy price. There was hardly anyone in the city who didn't personally know at least 1 person that lost their lives on the ship.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

About eight years ago I went to a Titanic-themed exhibition at the Royal Academy in London where they also had a list of passenger names and their fates, as well as letters and photos and items that had been salvaged such as gloves, purses, bags, shoes, clothing and crockery. It was very moving. One room was set up to resemble part of the ship and an iceberg against a starry sky, and the temperature had been reduced to mimic the freezing conditions. Most deaths were apparently caused by hypothermia in the icy water. A few men survived by disguising as women, in order to take advantage of the rescue policy which was to save "women and children first".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote: Never heard that one, Julie.
According to the book, Titanic, The Ship That Never Sank? by Robin Gardiner, there is a lot of controversy surrounding the Titanic and the Olympic, it's sister ship. The story goes that the Titanic set out on a trial run, and collided into a war ship badly damaging Titanic. It was then towed back to Belfast, and because the date had been fixed and advertised for it's maiden voyage, everything had to be swopped around with the sister ship Olympic, so Olympic became Titanic.

Things should be made public this year which is Titanic 100 years. Another theory is that being badly damaged it was patched up and still send out on it's maiden voyage, with the knowledge that it could founder in mid ocean!!

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I hadn't heard that before. You'll be telling me next that people haven't really landed on the moon! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Or that Freddie Starr never ate that hamster.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:Or that Freddie Starr never ate that hamster.
He said he didn't eat the hampster when he was on Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!!

Apparently it's a well known fact that Titanic had a colllision before it set sail, and also there was a fire in one of the boilers!!! Looks like it was a doomed ship before it crossed the Atlantic.

8)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

My family had a very small sailing boat when I was a teenager. We thought it would be fun to call it Titanic 13, but Mum wouldn't let us :cry:
Society Member