Gathering at Old Thatch, 18th June 2011

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Tony Summerfield

Gathering at Old Thatch, 18th June 2011

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have recently received the following email from one of our members and I thought I would post it here to see if anyone wants to comment on it:-

'Just a few thoughts about a possible EB day in 2011. I appreciate the challenge it must be getting new and interesting speakers and introducing variety, as well as having sustainable funding. I think members would be hugely disappointed if we do not have some sort of annual gathering – friendships have obviously been formed and meeting fellow fans in the flesh once a year helps to bring the whole concept of an EB Society alive. Hence – some thoughts for next year:

I wondered if we could have a “Picnic in Peterswood” event in early June – in other words base the day in Bourne End, where there is a railway station, and which was the obvious home to the Find Outer series and where EB lived. We could start with a possible boat trip from Bourne End marina along the river and then an organised picnic in Barker’s Field (alias Spade Oak Meadow) on the river at Bourne End, including a protective awning, tables and chairs etc and a typical Blytonian picnic lunch – menu could include sandwiches of all kinds (particularly egg and tomato and potted meat), sausage rolls, chocolate cake with a cream filling, macaroons, meringues etc. Drinks would of course include ginger beer and home made lemonade, and as we are grown-ups, some wine as well.

During lunch, we could have a series of readings – some of the original EB material or maybe a new story from Julie with the various characters being read by different people? Lunch could be followed by a visit to Old Thatch to see the gardens and afternoon tea which they do so well there. An overall charge would cover all that.'
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2011

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I must admit that if we didn't have an Enid Blyton Day, I would be disappointed, as that day is the highlight of the year for me. Being with so many 'friends' who are also Blyton minded. And being surrounded by so many books in Loddon Hall, is like being in a 'wonderland'.

So I'm happy to go along with whatever the majority have in mind. I have never visited Enid Blyton country, such as Beaconsfield or Bourne End, so that does appeal to me immensley, if we cannot have the Day in Loddon Hall.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I must admit that if we didn't have an Enid Blyton Day, I would be disappointed, as that day is the highlight of the year for me. Being with so many 'friends' who are also Blyton minded. And being surrounded by so many books in Loddon Hall, is like being in a 'wonderland'.

So I'm happy to go along with whatever the majority have in mind. I have never visited Enid Blyton country, such as Beaconsfield or Bourne End, so that does appeal to me immensley, if we cannot have the Day in Loddon Hall.

8)
I'm in total agreement with Julie on this. :D It would certainly be great to meet up with the many friends I've made since joining the society regardless of where that meeting place happens to be.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It sounds like a great idea. Can anyone lay on a typical Blyton sunny day as well? Like Julie, I think Lodden Hall with the book stalls and speakers was very special, but if that is no longer feasible, then this would make a very pleasant alternative.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Sounds good to me.

Jackie at Old Thatch has a room where she serves teas when the gardens are open, and she might be amenable to providing the basics for a meal, or afternoon tea.

It would prove cosier than the Corfe Shop should it rain and we have to find shelter - but I like the idea.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Sounds like a great idea! :D
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Sounds good to me. Count me in if it happens. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

The possible new format for the Enid Blyton Day 2011 sounds wonderful. I too have never visited "Blyton Country", this would be a whole new experience. Bourne End is easily accessible both by road and rail although perhaps slightly less so than Twyford, but I doubt if this would deter us! :lol:

I believe that the current Blyton Day format has been held at the Loddon Hall for around fifteen years. That is a very long time indeed, but surely Tony now deserves a breather! I have attended the 2009 and 2010 Days and enjoyed them very much, but perhaps now is the time to look at something a bit more low key.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The above suggestion would make for a fabulous day if the sun shone, though if it rains there wouldn't be much cover. At Old Thatch, only the gardens and one small room in the house (used as a tea-room) are open to the public. However, there is a pub next door (The Spade Oak) which does food. If it turns out that a boat trip would require too much advance planning (we may not be sure of numbers attending until the last minute), we could still organise a day revolving mainly around a gathering at Old Thatch plus a pub meal or picnic, readings and a walk by the river. Without shelter or book dealers, I imagine that far fewer people than normal would attend. However, it's worth a try as it's always lovely to meet up with fellow Blytonians. I'd certainly come along providing I'm free on the chosen date.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

The Bourne End/Old Thatch idea sounds lovely. I tried unsuccessfully to attend the last 2 EB days, (family commitments) so don't know if I'd have better luck this year, but I'll certainly bear it in mind. I don't know anything about boat trips from Bourne End, but this year I did go on a boat trip at Marlow. That didn't need pre booking, we just turned up and got on the boat. I can't remember quite how close Marlow is to Bourne End so don't know how easy it would be to get from one to the other, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I'd certainly recommend a visit to Old Thatch to any one who hasn't been before, I went early this year and would have been happy to stay all day.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Another suggestion is we could all meet up at Corfe Castle, and pretend it's Kirrin, for the day. Plenty of space for an outside picnic, and if it rains the National Trust tea room is close by. Just a thought.

8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A good suggestion too, if I may say so, Julie. :D Corfe Castle is an ideal spot for a meeting.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

As you may imagine, I have been scratching my head long and hard over this problem. :?

I love the idea of something at Old Thatch, but it is all a matter of scale. How about we have a Forumites get together there, which may still retain the ambience of the Twyford picnic. I'm sure that Jackie at Old Thatch would make us very welcome.

The problem of Corfe, is the perennial one of a castle without a roof. However, there is a new venue a couple of miles away, right alongside the railway line. Harman's Cross has a new village hall, open only 3 months ago. It has every facility, good parking, on the bus route - or arrive in style by steam train! 8)

What has caused my brain some pain is working out what everyone would like to do at a new-styled Day. We know that Tony has exhausted every avenue that he can think of - let's have some ideas! :wink:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's all well and good everyone coming up with ideas. But at the end of the day, it has to be organized, just like Tony does with an E.B. Day. And with so many people coming up with different ideas, etc, the Day will probably never get arranged or even off the ground!

Whereas, if we choose a date, one venue, and just meet up there. The rest we can take as it comes.

8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: Whereas, if we choose a date, one venue, and just meet up there. The rest we can take as it comes.
8)

Well said, Julie. :D We've spoken in these terms in emails and I think it is the best way forward. Then those who want to attend can just turn up on the day at a pre-arranged place and time. :wink:

Society Member