General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm exactly the same. Looking at authors I enjoy, both childrens authors and adult, most are women - Enid Blyton, E. Nesbit, Elizabeth Chapman, Dodie Smith, Elizabeth Beresford, Mary Norton, PL Travers, Helen Cresswell, Nina Bawden, Philippa Pearce,Linda Newbery, Celia Rees, Daphne DuMaurier, Agatha Christie, etc

...whereas there are very few male authors I enjoy - Linwood Barclay, Harlen Coben, AA Milne, Philip Pullman, Mark Twain, Dickens and CS Lewis are about the only ones I've read!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'd say in my experience I've always read about an equal balance of male and female authors and I've certainly never noticed that female authors struggle in any way to get noticed or to sell books. I do recall J.K. Rowling reportedly chose to publish the Harry Potter series under her initials because she originally thought boys wouldn't want to read books that were obviously by a woman, but her gender became common knowledge very early on and it doesn't seem to have harmed her sales at all!! :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

W.E.Johns - his Biggles books are on my shelves as are many by Malcolm Saville. The majority are by women though.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

My shelves are mostly filled by female authors. I do have a number by Malcom Saville, Roald Dahl, Lemony Snickett (Daniel Handler), William Corlett and a few random bits and pieces. I think almost all my 'grown up' books are by women!

Seems like a lot of nonsense to me though. I think we discussed some studies before where people checked how many books in their OWN bookshop were by men vs women. And they were shocked by the 'inequality'. Well, stock more female authors then!

Books should be published on literary (as in a good read not some snobbery) merit not based on the gender of the writer.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona1986 wrote:Books should be published on literary (as in a good read not some snobbery) merit not based on the gender of the writer.
Totally agree. :D
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, well said, Fiona.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I have loads of books by Malcolm Saville, Frank Richards, Anthony Buckeridge and Eric Leyland as well as my collection of Blytons.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Books should be published on literary (as in a good read not some snobbery) merit not based on the gender of the writer.
My thoughts exactly, Fiona.
Good luck with the little one.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I've just ordered a Hampshire street atlas from WHSmith (12.95) I was then invited to receive £6.xx cashback - all I had to do was register. Having filled in the form it then came up with boxes to fill in that I'd' missed'- I'm sure they weren't there before- my debit card details.It was going to cost £15 a month (until I canceled it) to claim the £6 something!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That sounds rather worrying. I'm increasingly suspicious about on-line/automatic payments. A local petrol station now has a debit card machine which always asks me if I want to make a 25p donation to charity. I have to make sure I press the 'no' button and not the 'yes' before I can put in my pin number. I don't think it says anywhere what the charity is. The last couple of times I've had to ask for my receipt as well, they don't give it to me automatically, and the last time I had to wait ages for it to be printed off, and I was made to feel I was being a bit of a nuisence. I've now decided to stop using that petrol station as I'm so afraid that one of these days I'll be in a hurry and not pay enough attention and end up getting ripped off.

I was in a shop recently where someone was paying by card and were given the option of contact less or pin. Then the shop owner said that they'd had someone that day who went to put their card into the machine to pay by pin, but their purse was in their hand and the machine automatically took the payment off another card which was still in their purse! I thought that was just one of those scare stories, but it would seem it is actually happening to people.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I really hate the idea of 'contactless payments'. It seems obvious to me that if you dropped your card someone could make numerous payments using contactless swipes before you even noticed the card was missing! At least previously they needed to know your pin number before they could use the card, or use it online, but now any thief can just swipe away your money.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think you can only make 3 payments of up to £30 before having to put a pin in again, but that's still nearly £100 that could walk before it was stopped. Also, I think £30 is the thin edge of the wedge, and it will soon be upped to £50, then £100 etc. and before we know it, everyone will be 'tapping' away.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Just love the spirit of adventure evinced by this guy!

Plymouth man completes 20,000-mile pub adventure

A man has driven a sports car across 21 countries, starting at the most northerly pub in the world and finishing at the most southerly.

Ben Coombs, 38, from Plymouth in Devon, drove 20,000 miles across three continents from the Arctic Circle to the southernmost tip of Chile.

It took him seven months to complete the challenge.

Mr Coombs described the final pub as "a dive", but said "it's the journey that matters, not the destination".

The idea for the adventure came while he was having a pint in a pub on Dartmoor.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-43056769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

All my debit card payments are now made by my phone. The beauty is that I don't have to bother with a pin if it's over £30. As my phone is finger-print activated, it is the simplest and securest way of paying. I even use it on the tube. I am now almost cashless.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It certainly sounds as if finger print activation is the most secure way to do debit card payments, as I'd 99% secure...though I'm sceptical as ever, lol! ;-) Wonder how long before some criminal mastermind finds a way to bypass the fingerprint... :evil:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member