General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Daisy »

I know the feeling Sunskriti. When I took the last exam in college, I thought with joy that I would never have to sit another exam in my life! :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Darrell71 wrote:...my Sanskrit exam is finally over, and I'll never have to touch anything related to that language again! I'm currently over the moon about that!! :D :D
That's wonderful!!! :D
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Haha I have a lot of time for that feeling yet, but this. feels. great.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Darrell71 wrote: On an unrelated topic though, my Sanskrit exam is finally over, and I'll never have to touch anything related to that language again! I'm currently over the moon about that!! :D :D
I'll feel like that when I finish my art & music exams! :lol:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Ooh i would prefer those tbh. Though I suck so bad at music it's like cringy. :lol: :lol:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:Oddly enough, it was someone who took the trouble to fill in her profile and add an avatar and signature, but never logged in after the day after she joined and never posted anything. :|
I have just done some research, and believe it or not, there are over 52 pages (at 50 'usernames' per page) that haven't posted. That is just under 300 people who have taken the time to register, yet never posted. You can see for yourselves by going to Members>POSTS. We get to Page 65 before we find people who have posted twice! :roll:
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I can believe that, from the number of times I see a new name under "Our newest member" (at the bottom of the forums homepage) but we never actually hear from that person. Since you can read everything on the forums without having to be a member (I lurked incognito here for about a year before I actually joined), I wonder what leads so many people to sign up if they're not intending to post anything? I know people come and go from online communities all the time, but it does seem strange to take the trouble of registering and then not joining in even once.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I once joined a Harry Potter forum but never posted. I intended to but I found I simply didn't have the time. It's likely that I'm not alone in that.

Others may just want to search the forums for information, which means they have to register. Or they may be interested in following certain topics but feel shy about joining in. Registering on the forums will enable them to keep track of topics better and receive notifications when there are new posts.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I once joined a Harry Potter forum but never posted. I intended to but I found I simply didn't have the time. It's likely that I'm not alone in that.
You're not, Anita; I did exactly the same thing.
Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

There is a LOT of evidence that the vast majority of people who join online groups never post anything, but only read what others post. These people are called "lurkers".

I don't think anybody has really figured out why this is.
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

And same goes here, either the forums are not very engaging or interesting or welcoming.
Even here at EB, whenever I think now im going to be regularly on forums there always comes a break,and sometimes its not very welcoming or friendly, like I sometimes i feel like my posts are ignored noone replies at times to simple things and that puts me off,and i feel unwanted :|
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote: I have just done some research, and believe it or not, there are over 52 pages (at 50 'usernames' per page) that haven't posted. That is just under 300 people who have taken the time to register, yet never posted. You can see for yourselves by going to Members>POSTS. We get to Page 65 before we find people who have posted twice! :roll:
Umm Nigel 52 pages at 50 users per page is actually a whopping 2600 not 300!!! That really is an amazing number and hen you have several pages of people who made only one or just a handful of posts. It really points up the dedication of the small group of us who have clicked and built (and continue to build) this community.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:I have just done some research, and believe it or not, there are over 52 pages (at 50 'usernames' per page) that haven't posted. That is just under 300 people who have taken the time to register, yet never posted. You can see for yourselves by going to Members>POSTS. We get to Page 65 before we find people who have posted twice! :roll:
Probably many people have not much to say and just want to read about EB for nostalgic reasons?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

zaidi wrote:Even here at EB, whenever I think now im going to be regularly on forums there always comes a break,and sometimes its not very welcoming or friendly, like I sometimes i feel like my posts are ignored noone replies at times to simple things and that puts me off,and i feel unwanted :|
If you don't get replies to all your posts, it doesn't mean they aren't being read. Sometimes people have time to read but not reply, or they don't know the answer to your question, or don't feel they have anything to add to the point you've made. I read just about everything that is posted on the forums, your posts included, but if I tried to reply to everything it would take me all day! :) We all have to be selective because of other demands on our time. And there's always the chance that older threads will be revived at some stage and attract new comments.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I read just about everything that is posted on the forums, your posts included, but if I tried to reply to everything it would take me all day! :) We all have to be selective because of other demands on our time. And there's always the chance that older threads will be revived at some stage and attract new comments.
Anita, I envy you and wish I had more time to read other threats on EBS!
But I can hardly keep up with reading the few that I'm following.
When I joined EBS a few years ago (this was before we had Cody), I was looking forward to explore older posts from 2005+ to find discussions on the FF books, R series, Adventurous Four and my beloved Adventure series, but unfortunately I hardly ever find the time to do that now. :cry:
A kingdom for more time...
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock