General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Jack400 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Moonraker wrote:All my debit card payments are now made by my phone. The beauty is that I don't have to bother with a pin if it's over £30. As my phone is finger-print activated, it is the simplest and securest way of paying. I even use it on the tube. I am now almost cashless.
It certainly sounds as if finger print activation is the most secure way to do debit card payments, as I'd 99% secure...though I'm sceptical as ever, lol! ;-) Wonder how long before some criminal mastermind finds a way to bypass the fingerprint... :evil:
Funny you should ask...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... ke-prints/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember that you leave your fingerprints everywhere and, unlike a compromised password, you can not reset your fingerprint.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I imagine nothing will ever be 100% secure, but I notice this hasn't been tested with an iPhone (only with computer simulations), so won't be worrying too much about it.

As for cracking the pin, I was surprised to see that a local paedophile had his sentence extended for not revealing his PIN to police. He possibly had illegal images on his phone. I would have thought that the IT dept of the police force would have been able to access this material - even with the help of Apple.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I hate the idea of contactless payment and always refuse it if it's offered. It seems so unsafe and untrustworthy. I try not to use a card except for the few local places that take one and just use cash instead.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

After a bad experience with a debit card, I now prefer to use cash.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I love my contactless card. I've got it set up on my phone as well, but I've never used it. It's just in case I forget my purse!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The advantage of using your phone is that you don't need to enter you pin for amounts over £30.

Sorry to hear of your experience, Eddie. I knew someone who had cash stolen from her house. I guess nothing's 100% guaranteed safe.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote: Sorry to hear of your experience, Eddie.
Thanks, Nigel. It happened a few years back when I used my debit card to pay for petrol. On checking my bank statement, I discovered I had been charged three times for the petrol. I did eventually get a refund for two amounts, but it caused a lot of unnecessary hassle.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I had planned to have my usual breakfast of a small tin of mackerel in brine from Sainsbury's, but on account of the snowy weather I found myself making a steaming hot bowl of banana porridge!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m not sure I’d like banana porridge, Pete, but I love banana custard piping hot. :D

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I like Quaker Oats strawberry and banana porridge. Or else real porridge (not the microwave sort) with brown sugar and a sliced banana on top. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

My father was Scottish and he always sprinkled salt on his porridge.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

My father put salt on his porridge as well, but he was Finnish-American.

(In USA we call porridge "oatmeal")
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

My grandmother's grandfather was Scottish and would probably turn in his grave if he knew one of his descendants eats porridge with bananas and sugar. Not only that, but I've been known to put ketchup and HP Sauce on haggis. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I eat my porridge cold with apples and cinnamon, not keen on hot banana but I wouldn’t run you out of the country for it :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Oh and I prefer vegetarian haggis to the real thing so putting sauces on it is also fine by me.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member