Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Computer Upgrades & Problems

Post by Aurélien »

Moonraker wrote:Speaking of resolution, I must make one - not to hijack threads, maybe? :roll:
Never! Half the fun of reading these webpages comes from reading these :P wacky, off-topic digressions..... :D

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8) :D :lol:
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

How varied resolutions can be! Our joint resolution was to "set the forums on fire" (I quote!). Now his seems to be not to hijack a thread. My newest resolution is to bribe Aarham with a KitKat a day, because he refuses to go school with me, and I'm having to do the drop-off and pick-up duties while my mum's running around the city's examination halls. It's annoying having to wake up at 10 am to take the kid there. :roll:

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ming wrote:Our joint resolution was to "set the forums on fire" (I quote!).
*Stands by with a bucket of water!*
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

*Stands by with a high pressure hose pipe....*
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Fiona1986 wrote:Diana from the Barney mysteries seemed to Moon alot didn't she? The naughty girl!

I really want a laptop small enough to fit into my handbag easily..... but I also like having my large screen. So basically I want a tiny laptop with a folding screen??
Have you seen this then?
Regards
Pete

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/11 ... mputer.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Now that Windows 7 has been out for a few months, what are the reactions to Windows 7 from those here, who are actually using it?
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Bannerman65 wrote:Now that Windows 7 has been out for a few months, what are the reactions to Windows 7 from those here, who are actually using it?
Windows 7 is a more stable platform than Vista, but you might like to know that MS saw my upgrade to W7 as clear evidence of an attempt to defraud them, and subsequently demanded that I re-enter my product activation key for MS Office. They were wrong, but in the end poor old Aurélien gave up fighting the #@%^&*'s, and now uses Oracle's Open Office...... :evil:

Bloodied but unbowed, 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :x
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote: but in the end poor old Aurélien gave up fighting the #@%^&*'s, and now uses Oracle's Open Office...... :evil:

Bloodied but unbowed, 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :x
It never ceases to amaze me how people will spend a small fortune on Microsoft products. Thunderbird is superior to Outlook (don't even mention the awful Outlook Express) and, like you, Aurelien, I use Open Office in place of Microsoft Office.
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

I guess that you could say that I learned the hard way, Nigel. Such a lesson will (eventually) make even a stubborn old codger like moi see the light..... :x

I had more or less forgiven MicroSoft for the first time they bounced me from their (bloated and expensive) Office programme, 'cos I could understand that the installation of a new, larger hard-drive on my pc might ring a few of their alarm bells, but bouncing me again for later upgrading my operating platform from MS Windows Vista to MS Windows 7 was most definitely over-doing it! :!: :!: :!:

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :evil:
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I'll agree, that W7 is far better than Vista. Shame I can't get Java and OpenOffice.org to install, though. :(

Anyone upgraded to Firefox 4.01? Starting to look like Internet Explorer, now. Least it does on my own system.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

AbiWord is another good freebie word-processing programme....

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Bannerman65 wrote:I'll agree, that W7 is far better than Vista. Shame I can't get Java and OpenOffice.org to install, though. :(
Which Java are you talking about? I had no trouble installing JRE on Win7 64bit which I try peu à peu to run my programms from XP Win7 32bit now, and Win7 32bit even runs the more elaborate Java binaries. I haven't tried them yet on the 64bit system.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Bannerman65 wrote: Anyone upgraded to Firefox 4.01? Starting to look like Internet Explorer, now. Least it does on my own system.
I upgraded last week, and after I have tweeked it somewhat, it is more or less how I like it. There are minor irritations - it doesn't save all tabs when you shut down, for example. You can still customise the appearance, so it doesn't need to look too much like IE.
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I'll check out the customizations after I get some sleep, Moonraker. Thank you for bringing them up.

Wolfgang, something is wrong with the Installers for Java and OpenOffice.org, as they seems to be unrecognized in my copy of Windows 7. As for Google Earth, I keep getting an installation error.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional x64.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Webuser magazine from 5th May had a special feature on the 30 best free software programs you can download.
One of them was LibreOffice which is compatable with WindowsXP/Vista/Windows7.......

http://www.libreoffice.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards

pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member