Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Post by Aurélien »

• A PLACE TO NATTER ABOUT COMPUTER ISSUES

• Made an interesting discovery?
    Having (hardware or software) problems with your pc?
    Want to pass on advice about upgrades/updates?
    Wish to share horror stories of your computer experiences?

Post your concerns here, where those forumites interested in such topics can find them and add their experiences and thoughts.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :)
Aurélien

Re: Computer Upgrades & Problems

Post by Aurélien »

Last week I upgraded my operating platform from Windows Vista (Home Premium) to Windows 7 (Home Premium).

If you are thinking of doing the same, my first suggestion would be that you check out whether your older peripherals (scanner, printer, etc) and favourite software will run on Windows 7.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Also make sure, that your video card is DirectX 9 compatible, and that your computer has at least 2GB of RAM when running the 32 bit Windows 7 editions. A minimum of 4GB, when running the 64 bit editions.

A reminder about the Compatibility Modes, when running older software and drivers. Unfortunately though, there will be software and drivers, that either won't run properly, of won't run at all, even in the Compatibility Modes.

I believe that this is due to the way the software/drivers were developed, so see if there are more recent versions, first.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Bannerman65 wrote:And there's nothing wrong with learning, either.
But can it be considered as learning if you are reading and haven't a clue what anyone is talking about? :wink:

Seriously, it is good to know that we have such experts amongst our membership. You never know when the website might crash, and Keith might need some extra brains on board.
Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I have a question that is sort of computer related, that some of our expert members could maybe help me with (please). If you are trying to send an e-mail to someone, and it bounces back, giving the reason as "over quota", does that mean that their inbox is full, and so can't receive any more e-mails, but the address is still correct? I mean, I know what quota means, but I'm not sure what it means in this context, as this has never happened to me before. And is there anything that I can do to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Laura, I'm not an expert but I'll start to answer you, hoping that someone here can add some helpful suggestions.

E-mail 'mailboxes' with a very limited capacity can quickly fill up. (Even our pm and message-posting records here at the forums need to be cleaned up from time to time.)

With e-mails it's rather tough if your only point-of-contact with the person you are trying to e-mail is the e-mail address in question, 'cos you'll have to wait until the other party wises up and gets rid of the junk.

Sometimes, though, error messages indicate faulty software or some other problem....in cyber space you can't always believe everything you read.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :|
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

Thanks, Aurélien. I suppose that I'd better just wait, then. Pity is, said recipient rarely checks her e-mails anyway. :twisted:
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Moonraker wrote:
Bannerman65 wrote:And there's nothing wrong with learning, either.
But can it be considered as learning if you are reading and haven't a clue what anyone is talking about? :wink:

Seriously, it is good to know that we have such experts amongst our membership. You never know when the website might crash, and Keith might need some extra brains on board.

In this case, Moonraker, what I mean, is learning what the terminology means. That's why you're not understanding what's being said, by the more knowledgeable forum members. You simply don't know what the terminology means, so you find it difficult to understand what's being written. No offense intended to anyone.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Laura wrote:I have a question that is sort of computer related, that some of our expert members could maybe help me with (please). If you are trying to send an e-mail to someone, and it bounces back, giving the reason as "over quota", does that mean that their inbox is full, and so can't receive any more e-mails, but the address is still correct? I mean, I know what quota means, but I'm not sure what it means in this context, as this has never happened to me before. And is there anything that I can do to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
It depends whether the "over quota" refers to your own email account or the one you're reaching.
It's also possible that you added an attachment that's too large for the email box - some providers only accept emails as large as 10 MB. But to be more accurate I need the complete message of the mailer daemon. All in all I'd say that the email isn't accepted because the space your email requires is larger than the space available on the recipient.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I have finally dispensed with my 17" cathode tube monitors and invested in a pair of 22" LCD screens for my PC's. What a revelation! Such crisp clear pictures and no longer being bombarded with radiation. I should have done this upgrade ages ago. :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Petermax wrote: I should have done this upgrade ages ago. :lol:
Then why didn't you. :lol: :wink:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Petermax wrote: I should have done this upgrade ages ago. :lol:
Then why didn't you. :lol: :wink: 8)
I have a slight tendency towards frugalness, I have yet to turn on my central heating! :lol:
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Congratulations, Petermax. :D

My LCD is 24" :D:D

Not boasting, either.
sanitarium

Post by sanitarium »

i just changed my operating system to fedora 12 from ubuntu & i'm kinda regretting it as i cant get the system to update
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Bannerman65 wrote:Congratulations, Petermax. :D

My LCD is 24" :D:D

Not boasting, either.
S'funny how men like some things to be big but prefer other things to be small! Remember the huge mobile phones of yesteryear? The bigger the TV screen, the happier some are - the smaller the camera, the more they are pleased.
Society Member