Our Travels

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: travels - planned or recently returned from

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, Eddie, we've been in the N.T. for 30 years. And the R.S.P.B. for about 10 years.

We visit many of the N.T. places. During the winter we love to walk around Trelisick. The woodland walk takes you all around the river. It's so beautiful during the autumn and winter months. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Trelisick sounds great, Julie. We are very lucky to have a number of National Trust places to visit here in Sussex. Membership really is superb value for money - plus you feel you are doing your bit for conservation by being members. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

Got back today morning after a hectic holiday. We had to run from place to place to visit all our relatives. But I went to this HUGE bookstore and bought 8 books. I also took lots of books with me. So that saved me from ultimate boredom.

Anita, your holiday does sound like something out of a book.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:Good to hear of your adventures in North Wales, Anita. What a shame our trips didn't coincide; we could have met up and shared a picnic or midnight feast!
Yes, a meeting of two Blytonites would have meant adventures for sure! It's great reading about everyone's trips and holidays.
hope189 wrote:Got back today morning after a hectic holiday. We had to run from place to place to visit all our relatives. But I went to this HUGE bookstore and bought 8 books.
Sounds wonderful, Hope! I always used to love going to bookshops when I visited relatives. Still do, in fact. We've had lovely weather here in Wales until today, which is cloudy and rainy. Yesterday we went to Rhyl Sun Centre (big swimming-pool complex with slides, wave machines, surf pool, etc) and then had a picnic on the beach. Plenty more golliwogs for sale in shops and kiosks, and I bought a little pottery one for 99p. Today we went shopping in Colwyn Bay and I made a beeline for the second-hand bookshop I used to frequent as a teenager. It's only a few days since I picked up a copy of Arthur Ransome's Pigeon Post and today I found a nice old hardback edition of The Big Six for £2 to go with it. I got Enid Blyton's Treasury too (also £2), which has attractive full-colour plates by various artists. My poor son wasn't so lucky. He bought a pile of Goosebumps paperbacks which he unfortunately left behind on the bus on the way home. We've phoned the bus company but it doesn't look as if he's going to get them back. :(

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

That's a pity - must be really frustrating! :(

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's a shame about your son losing his books, Anita. He must be really upset. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time in Wales. It's been many a year since I was at Colwyn Bay. I think I must have been about 6. I can hardly remember it now, but would love to go back and visit these places I once visited as a child.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

All this reading about holidays is making me envious for having one myself! Anita and Hope, you're lucky. Hope - eight books? Sounds amazing; wish I could buy such an amount of books in one time! The only thing that's keeping me a bit distracted from being melted the past three days (the temperature was 39.2 degrees Celsius yesterday here) is that I can usually find refuge in writing stories etc. And re-reading, of course!

Anita - it's a pity about your son. It must be quite irritating for him. :(
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:My poor son wasn't so lucky. He bought a pile of Goosebumps paperbacks which he unfortunately left behind on the bus on the way home. We've phoned the bus company but it doesn't look as if he's going to get them back.
I was sorry to hear about your son's misfortune, Anita. I know how unhappy I'd be if I were in a similar position. Have you tried contacting the bus company again? You never know, someone might have handed them in even at this late stage.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the sympathy for my son. No one handed in his books, sadly, but my son accepts that these things happen occasionally and that he'll have to be more careful with his belongings next time. We travelled home today and he was sick on the train, so he must be due for some good luck soon!

Interesting that you've been to Colwyn Bay, Julie. I was sorry to see that the promenade and pier were looking run down last time I visited that part of the town a couple of years ago. Llandudno, by contrast, is well-preserved and appears to have altered very little over the years. The few changes that have been made, eg. a new children's playground near the visitor centre on the Great Orme, have been tastefully done and are in keeping with the surroundings.

Anita

Society Member
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Philip Mannering wrote: Hope - eight books? Sounds amazing; wish I could buy such an amount of books in one time!
Eight books plus three that my aunt gave me. :D

I was allowed to buy so many books because I rarely get to shop in a good book shop. But still, lucky me!!! :lol:

So sorry to hear about your son's books, Anita. It must indeed be very irritating.
Philip Mannering

I am going to abroad for a holiday. Much needed. I'm happy, only sad that for some days I can't post here - dates unknown though. At least it's only for a few days!

I was a little nervous today as I went back to school (the last day), knowing the papers would be shown. Needless to say, I needn't have been worried! I think I got really satisfactory results, and I was even top in two or three subjects! Well, it did show that my hard work paid off, and now - nothing to stop me from enjoying myself, reading books, writing, and lots of other things. My only worry was that I didn't see my Computer paper. Most of the students had gone but my friend remained and Miss, having forgotten that there was another paper left, showed it to the remaining students. I was quite angry when I came to know of it, but there was nothing to be done. Everybody said that the computer teacher had checked the papers in a wrong way and had given correct answers no marks. Well, I just hope that my marks will be good - I'll know of it on the 28th. Just hoping....
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Congratulations about your marks, Philip and all the best. Have a safe journey.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Philip Mannering wrote:I am going to abroad for a holiday.
"Abroad" is a big place, Philip! :lol: Can't you be more specific? :wink: I think you said something before about possibly going to Saudi Arabia?

Congratulations on your exam results!

Anita

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Congratulations on your exam results, Philip. Now relax and enjoy your travels. :D

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:I am going to abroad for a holiday.
"Abroad" is a big place, Philip! :lol: Can't you be more specific? :wink: I think you said something before about possibly going to Saudi Arabia?

Congratulations on your exam results!

Anita
Trust you to notice that, Anita! I am the type of person who is rather careful until everything is confirmed, that's why I hesitated somewhat. Yes, I am going to Saudi Arabia four days later on the 22nd (returning two weeks later), which is a VERY hot place. Thankfully in every shop, house, or anything there are air-conditioners. If they weren't there anyone would melt. :shock:

Thanks for the congratulations, Hope, Eddie and Anita. :D