Our Travels

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Re: travels - planned or recently returned from

Post by hope189 »

Has anybody here been to Egypt?
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Yes, I have Hope. It was quite a long time ago though (ie, 1993 or so). Cairo actually reminded me of Dehli a bit.

Thanks, Jen. I can't wait. We probably won't get to go for a while (ie, usually need to book Frequent Flyer seats miles in advance especially if you want a few on the same flight) but will still be fun planning. The kids and I actually off to Melbourne on Saturday to visit my family for a few days over Easter. :D You have been having pretty nice weather down there, haven't you? I hope it holds out!
hope189

Post by hope189 »

You seem to have travelled a lot, auscatherine!
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

auscatherine wrote:The kids and I actually off to Melbourne on Saturday to visit my family for a few days over Easter. :D You have been having pretty nice weather down there, haven't you? I hope it holds out!

The last few days has been cold, miserable and rainy. But it looks like it will clear up for Easter, so you should be fine!
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
hope189

Post by hope189 »

I'm leaving tonight to my relatives' so I probably can't go online for a couple of days. :(
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

hope189 wrote:I'm leaving tonight to my relatives' so I probably can't go online for a couple of days. :(
Have a fun + safe trip, Hope! I am visiting my family too + have been digging out all the old Blyton books to re-read.:-D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm staying in North Wales at the moment with my mum and her husband. My children and I followed in Nigel's footsteps on Saturday and went to Llandudno where we climbed the Great Orme (trams and a cable car go to the top but we decided to walk.) We went to the Copper Mines which we last visited five years ago. A wonderful experience which involves donning a helmet and following dark, narrow, rocky passages down to about 25 metres below the surface. Other, deeper, passages are in the process of being excavated but are not open to the public. I was reminded very much of The Island of Adventure, especially as the Great Orme (a large hill of limestone, wiry grass and gorse bushes) juts out into the sea. There is a second-hand bookshop at the copper mines where I picked up an old Puffin paperback copy of Arthur Ransome's Pigeon Post for 50p - can't wait to read it. Like Nigel, we were pleased to see golliwogs for sale at a kiosk on the pier.

Today we had a picnic at Gwrych Castle, a huge ruined castle of grey stone in the woods above Abergele. Saw a buzzard circling above the castle walls. We ate our picnic in glorious sunshine and all agreed that "food tastes so much nicer out of doors." Looking forward to further adventures!

Dymuniadau gorau,
Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That sounds wonderful, Anita. Very Blyton like. You were lucky with the weather today. Down here in Cornwall its been raining all day. A terribly wet Easter Monday. Yesterday was glorious, I went out with my daughter and the grandchildren to Lanhydrock and it was really glorious weather.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Sounds like you're having a lovely time, Anita, I particularly like the description of the copper mines! 8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Your Welsh break sounds great, Anita. Sorry to hear that it has been raining all day in Cornwall, Julie. It is such a beautiful county too. On the numerous occasions that Chick and I have visited, we have always been blessed with sunshine. We have also been lucky enough to have had a glorious sunny Easter Monday here in Sussex, and we have just returned home after enjoying a smashing cream tea at High Beeches Garden in Handcross. :D :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good to hear of your adventures in North Wales, Anita. What a shame our trips didn't coincide; we could have met up and shared a picnic or midnight feast!

Sorry to hear that Cornwall was wet, yesterday, Julie. It was a glorious day, here in south Wiltshire. We had our younger son down for the weekend, so I gave the computer a rest!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A lovely day today though :)

The cream tea sounded lovely, Eddie. I had one at Lanhydrock on Easter Sunday.

You say you gave your computer a rest, Nigel. Sure you didn't follow in my footsteps and spill coffee all over it :lol: :wink:

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: You say you gave your computer a rest, Nigel. Sure you didn't follow in my footsteps and spill coffee all over it :lol: :wink:
I always think of you now, Julie, when I have a mug of coffee nearby! Jane says there are 3 of us in our marriage...the Society has much to feel guilty about!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote: I always think of you now, Julie, when I have a mug of coffee nearby!
Well at least some good has come out of my misfortune, if it warns others. :)

At least I know now that when I get the lap top back the screen can go dirty.

8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:The cream tea sounded lovely, Eddie. I had one at Lanhydrock on Easter Sunday.
Chick and I visited Lanhydrock when we were last in Cornwall: a truly beautiful house and garden. We've been National Trust members for 20 years and visit as many of their properties and gardens as possible. The atmosphere is always so peaceful and relaxing. When we were working, we often used to take a picnic tea to one of the gardens, as we found this a great way to unwind after a hectic day in school. Are you a NT member, Julie? :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member