Last Song You Listened To

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, so even you people born after 2000 reckon there's been hardly any good music since then!!! :lol: I grew up in the '80s and '90s enjoying a lot of the then-current music, but also loving the '60s and '70s music that my mum and dad grew up with. Then by about the time I was in my late teens, it was as if there was almost nothing worth hearing any more except on "classic hits" radio stations — all the latest music just seemed to be utter rubbish with no memorable tunes, no memorable words, nothing worth listening to again and again and no real heart. So it wasn't just me thinking that after all... :wink:

That reminds me, actually, of a time some years ago when I was in the car with Dad driving and a Beatles song (I forget which one) came on the radio. I was singing along with it and then, thinking about it, said to Dad: "Does it strike you as weird, that here I am singing along to a song that was around when you were my age?" To which Dad immediately replied: "No. It's good music!" 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An interesting discussion. Every so often I ask my daughter and son (21 and 16) if they know what music is in the charts and what song is at number one. They always say they've no idea. I then ask whether any of their peers talk about current music and buy singles (either as downloads or in a physical form) as they're released. They reply that none of their friends do that - they generally listen to music from a range of eras on YouTube or similar. Very different from when I was young and most teenagers I knew would watch Top of the Pops every week, know what songs were top of the charts and buy at least the occasional single or album.

I just asked my son to name the first pop groups or artists that came to mind and he said One Direction, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, JLS, Abba, Queen and Michael Jackson. He added that that doesn't mean he's a fan of them all - they're simply the ones that came into his head first.

Just listened to Billy Joel's Leningrad. It's one of my favourite Billy Joel songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgD_-dR ... gD_-dRZPgs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

To me, it just follows the same basic structure, musically and lyrically. It always seems so fake and there's no real meaning to songs nowadays. All I hear is synthesisers, synth drums and auto tune. I do actually listen to modern music, just not stuff that hits the charts regularly. For example, old Coldplay songs or Mumford and Sons. I also love the country duo The Shires (seen them three times in concert) and you can hear them a lot on TV or radio, but they just aren't popular with my generation. :cry:

Anyway, the last song I listened to was Good Morning Baltimore from Hairspray.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

GEORGE MICHAEL: Life Through His Face & Songs (3D Effect)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZECr1Q64TiU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
number 6
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

7upromana01 wrote:I do actually listen to modern music, just not stuff that hits the charts regularly. For example, old Coldplay songs or Mumford and Sons.
I saw Mumford & Sons at the Triumph motorbike festival a few years ago. They were quite good. Topping the bill that day were The Stranglers, my fav band! :D
7upromana01
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

They were very good a few years ago, I think, when they released their albums Sigh No More and Babel (both of which I have) but they have come off of the folk rock route and now have switched to being a indie/alternative rock band! I don't like it as much as the others. It's actually quite sad how so many music artists change to go to more pop/mainstream music. :(
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

The Bee Gees - I Started A Joke.

https://youtu.be/jrg1UAixGaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?

R.I.P. Peter Sarstedt.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A beautiful song. My mum used to play it a lot. RIP Peter Sarstedt.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great song by Peter Sarstedt, which I bought as a single in January 1969. I hadn't realised that he he'd died until I read Courtenay's and Anita's posts. I saw his older brother, Eden Kane (born Richard Sarstedt) in concert just a few weeks ago. Very sad news indeed. RIP Peter Sarstedt.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good.

https://youtu.be/hdAFwIoJF1M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

For some odd reasons, my mind has fixated on this song for these past few weeks!

Summer kisses, winter tears by Elvis Presley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc1PYPZYy0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A beautiful song which was originally recorded for the film Flaming Star but which was dropped when director Don Siegel rightly put the film's emphasis on drama rather than music.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Respighi - Pines of Rome with standing ovation!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvgyfqzLC0A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member