Your favourite holiday location.

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: Your favourite holiday location.

Post by Moonraker »

It's not where you are, but who you are with that makes a holiday. :)
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Totally agree, Nigel. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Cat Bells isn't much of a challenge, Number 6, when you compare it with Helvellyn, Great Gable or Scafell Pike. It isn't too strenuous, which suits me at my age, and the walk back to the landing stage to catch the boat back to Keswick is a level, lakeside stroll through the trees.
I never read Swallows and Amazons either, Anita, but I had read the Bannerdale books by Geoffrey Trease which I am reminded of when I visit the area. Wasdale, and Wastwater, I've been to which is much more remote and sinister when the lake is in shadow. Windermere I find too touristy nowadays, I much prefer Buttermere on the other side of the Honister Pass. When driving over the pass I always think of the pass in Valley Of Adventure and I'm grateful that this one isn't blocked by tons of rubble.
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I love the Lake District, had the delight for many years of staying at a retreat centre,
Rydal Hall, (near Rydal Water) while attending the late, great Gill Edwards LIVING MAGICALLY courses, happy memories indeed. Meanwhile packing again (or changing suitcases :wink: ) as we're away to West Norway to sample the scenery and fjords for the first time :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh wow, Floragord — have a wonderful trip! (Just as long as you're not pining for the fjords... :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

John Pickup wrote:I never read Swallows and Amazons either, Anita, but I had read the Bannerdale books by Geoffrey Trease which I am reminded of when I visit the area.
I've read two or three Bannerdale titles (only as an adult) but I found the Swallows and Amazons books more poetic and imaginative.
John Pickup wrote:Windermere I find too touristy nowadays, I much prefer Buttermere on the other side of the Honister Pass.
My daughter went hiking in Buttermere last year - one of several hikes she's done in the Lake District.
floragord wrote:...packing again (or changing suitcases :wink: ) as we're away to West Norway to sample the scenery and fjords for the first time :D
Norway is another of my favourite places. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, Floragord. It's so tranquil and unspoilt.

I love Italy too, with its picturesque old towns - especially Florence and Pisa.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:Windermere I find too touristy nowadays, I much prefer Buttermere on the other side of the Honister Pass. When driving over the pass I always think of the pass in Valley Of Adventure and I'm grateful that this one isn't blocked by tons of rubble.
I agree - Windermere is great for a boat trip, but far too touristy. I do like Bowness for a day's out, but prefer the more out-of-the-way places. We visited Buttermere and also Crummock water - two lovely lakes, as well as a nail-biting car ride along wrynose pass and Hardknott Pass. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I have enjoyed a number holidays in the Lake District. Like Rob, we love Hill Top and Dove Cottage. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Dove cottage is so interesting, with the one room that is decorated with old newspapers! Hill Top is brilliant if you're familiar with Beatrix's books. I found it fascinating to see the real-life locations for many of her illustrations.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Hill top is fab & well worth a visit. Not keen on the timed ticket entry, though. The little Tower Banks arms in the same village is also lovely. It also featured in one of BP's books. Not done Dove cottage yet, but it's on my bucket list! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

We'd been studying 'The Prelude' at college when I first went to The Lakes, so visiting Dove Cottage was a must! In fact when I think about it, we basically went to the lakes for the first time when I was about 16 or 17 purely because of my interest in Wordsworth!

The same happened when we visited Swanage when I was around 26 - purely because of my rekindled interest in all things Blyton. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Courtenay wrote:Oh wow, Floragord — have a wonderful trip! (Just as long as you're not pining for the fjords... :wink: )
Thanks, Anita and Courtenay for your good wishes, no doubt we'll be "repining" by the time we leave Norway :wink: ! We've action-packed our schedule with Rome next month, Venice in October, by November we'll probably be fit only to totter to Portmeirion and Ludlow to dump ourselves by the fire and look at photos :roll: !
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Have a super holiday!

I remember buying this postcard when I was about eight and being shocked when my dad told me he was about 93 years old!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Snap! I remember buying a postcard of the same pic, Pete! I wasn't very old, either. Being a massive fan of Patrick Mcgoohan's, 'The Prisoner', Portmeirion has long been a fav haunt of mine. Love the village. :D
floragord

Post by floragord »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
floragord wrote:...packing again (or changing suitcases :wink: ) as we're away to West Norway to sample the scenery and fjords for the first time :D
Norway is another of my favourite places. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, Floragord. It's so tranquil and unspoilt.

I love Italy too, with its picturesque old towns - especially Florence and Pisa.
Safely back from Norway!, what a stunning place. We loved the towering snowcapped mountains, deep and tranquil fjords, turbulent rivers and shimmering waterfalls; managed to pack a fair bit in, a boat-trip on the Naeroyfjord (and it was narrow!), the impressive Flam railway, Stave churches, express boat to Bergen and the vibrant city and funicular, and the historical village of Norwegian life at Sogndal plus the most interesting boat museum - and all in lovely golden sunshine. We were impressed with our historic Kviknes Hotel at Balestrand on the Sognefjord, an attractive village where everyone made us hugely welcome - altogether a fantastic time indeed, Anita, I can certainly see why Norway is one of your favourite places!