Your favourite holiday location.

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: Your favourite holiday location.

Post by Almas »

Hello Rachimunchkin (lovely username!) welcome to the forums! :D

I would love to go to Disneyland too.

Hope you enjoy yourself and make yourself at home because we are a jolly friendly group! :D

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Umm - I was wondering have any of you ever been to Old Thatch, Enid's house? Most of the members live in England, so its easy for them.

I have a good mind to run away from home and settle in England! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Almas wrote:Umm - I was wondering have any of you ever been to Old Thatch, Enid's house? Most of the members live in England, so its easy for them.

I have a good mind to run away from home and settle in England! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Funnily enough, it was only after reading that, that I thought to look up the exact location of Old Thatch. I've driven past the end of Coldmoorholme Lane on many an occasion on my way to Marlow. I've a good mind to pop along this very weekend!
Almas

Post by Almas »

Oooooh! I hope you enjoy your trip, Stephen. I'm very envious!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh you lucky thing, take photos I wonder what you will see there.
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Yeah - I would love to see the pictures too, Stephen!

Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Weather-permitting, I shall try to go tomorrow. Having said that, we've had ATROCIOUS weather here in the Thames Valley. I had a day off yesterday and had actually been considering driving to my neighbouring town of Maidenhead (it certainly beats Slough for shopping) but in the end decided I couldn't be bothered (after all it was raining!) and I'd much rather stay at the computer on my favourite forums of which this is definitely one. And what do you know? Maidenhead appears on national television because of severe flooding! So I'd like to thank those responsible for making the Enid Blyton Society so addictive and preventing me from appearing on the news as one of those hapless imbeciles having to be rescued from a water-logged car that clearly shouldn't have been driven down a flooded road!

I'm taking a disposable camera - but I'm not the greatest photographer in the world, so fingers crossed!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

There, you see? Blytonmania can cure anything, even flood related chills and colds before they happen. :D :wink:

We've had equally bad weather in Surrey as well, I just dont know where the rain is coming from. I know the British summer is joked about for its rain but this is ridiculous. As regards Old Thatch I have a feeling that I have seen some pictures somewhere of Anita standing outside the house. I don't think they are on this site though. I'll look forward to see any pics you do manage to take Stephen.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you have a lovely time at Old Thatch if you go tomorrow, Stephen. For anyone who doesn't know, the garden of Old Thatch opens to the public at weekends during the summer:

http://www.jackyhawthorne.co.uk

I visited in 2004 and 2006 as I've mentioned elsewhere on the site, and I found it enchanting. I'll try to post some photos here when I get the chance, but my computer is playing up at the moment so it might take some time.

We've had lots of rain too but luckily it cleared up for us to take our children and 3 of our daughter's friends to the fair this afternoon (well, we only got rained on for the first half-hour anyway!)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Typical England.If I will cross over one day I don't forget to bag my wellies and my raincoats :lol: .
And I'm complaining about 30 degree Centigrade warm and close air here.Really not fair!
Isn't it? :mrgreen:
Almas

Post by Almas »

Thanks Anita for the link. I would give anything to visit Old Thatch. It must have a most memorable experience for you.

Almas

Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've just got home from a highly memorable family gathering. It was held in the village of Broadway, not that far from Evesham (totally flooded) and Stratford-UNDER-Avon! My cousin phoned to say not to come on Friday after work, so Rosie & I had a clear run up Saturday morning. But my sister had already left and was collecting an aged aunt on the way. She abandoned the journey just 10 miles from Broadway, taking refuge in a pub. They then made the village hall available for overnight camping, so she had to carry Jack age 2 and keep an eye on a fairly immobile 75 yo. Other family members had similar problems.

The latest news is that an electricity sub station may be shut down, and a water treatment plant may be contaminated. That sounds like an adventure too far...

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
dsr

Post by dsr »

One place we go to every summer, which I suspect should now say we went to every summer, is a caravan in a place called Eckington Riverside Park. It's right by the River Avon, a lovely spot, and from what I've heard our friends' caravan will now be submerged. :(

My sympathies to all those more directly affected.
DSR
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

LuckyStar wrote: As regards Old Thatch I have a feeling that I have seen some pictures somewhere of Anita standing outside the house.
Journal 26 featured the picture on the cover. Anita's article made me want to come and have a look for myself, (but I haven’t yet).
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'd like to say that my favourite holiday location is Corfe Castle and Swanage, if I can have two.

Bylton country.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member