Your favourite holiday location.

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Susie

Re: Your favourite holiday location.

Post by Susie »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'd like to say that my favourite holiday location is Corfe Castle and Swanage, if I can have two.

Bylton country.
8)
I agree :D It has a lovely old feel to it. I must visit it again, and of course the ginger pop shop. I would also like to see Puffin Island, I know it's in Swanage somewhere.
There is always something else new to learn.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There is certainly a Puffin Island off the coast of Padstow, in Cornwall.

Now, there's a holiday destination...
Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Moonraker wrote:There is certainly a Puffin Island off the coast of Padstow, in Cornwall.

Now, there's a holiday destination...
I read in the Bournemouth resort that there is one in Swanage as well, not sure if it goes under that name though.
There is always something else new to learn.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I didn't realize we had a Puffin Island off Padstow, Moonraker (Nigel) I must venture over there and take a look.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie wrote:I didn't realize we had a Puffin Island off Padstow, Moonraker (Nigel) I must venture over there and take a look.
We took a boat ride to Puffin Island, about 30 years ago. Padstow, as you know, has a sheltered harbour. When we hit the Atlantic, the boat swelled like a cork in a tempest. I was the first to throw-up, then most of the other passengers followed suit. I was only minutes away from throwing myself in the ocean, I felt so bad. On our arrival back at Padstow, I sat in the car and slept for 2 hours. I have never felt so bad before or after!

Puffin Island is just off Port Quin, Julie. A wonderful location.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't think I'll go on the boat trip then Nigel, don't fancy throwing up!!! All the North Coast is really lovely, Port Quinn is near Port Issac, where they've just finished filming for Doc Martin, with Martin Clunes. Another lovely place to visit.
8)

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Here are all my holiday destinations (other than my yearly Cornish vacation with my grandparents).

1973 Swanage (Dorset)
1974 Barmouth (West Wales)
1979 Eastbourne (East Sussex)
1980 Swanage (Dorset)
1981 Criccieth (North Wales)
1982 Chichester (West Sussex)
1983 Weymouth (Dorset)
1984 Brecon (Mid Wales), Dawlish (Devon)
1985 Whitby (North Yorkshire)
1986 Jameston (South Wales)
1987 Buxton (Derbyshire)
1988 Gayle (North Yorkshire)
1989 Kingsdown (Kent), Mudeford (Dorset)
1990 Llanrwst (North Wales)
1991 Tyndrum (Scotland)
1992 Wirksworth (Derbyshire)
1993 Clarach Bay (West Wales)
1994 Filey (North Yorkshire)
1995 Torquay (Devon)
1997 Paris (France), Igls (Austria)
1999 Weymouth (Dorset) [twice that year!]
2000 Corralejo (Fuerteventura)
2001 Albufeira (Portugal)
2003 Protaras (Cyprus)
2004 Blackpool (Lancashire), Stoke on Trent (Staffordshire)
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Ah - I would give anything away to visit England! I would love to spend my hols there! :)
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

We greatly enjoying a visit to Ynys Mon (Anglesey), and were privileged to attend the superb
National Eisteddfod, all about drama, music and poetry, last week and be present at a very touching ceremony, The Chairing of the Bard - especially poignant this year as it was marking 100 years exactly since the young Welsh poet Hedd Wyn was killed in the First World War.
Last edited by floragord on 17 Aug 2017, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds like a special and very moving occasion, Floragord. I've been wanting to travel in Wales for a while too — probably won't fit it in this year, but Anglesey is definitely on my list of places to go.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As a child we pretty much travelled all over North Wales, as my dad is from there. he was born in a farm not far from Henllan near Denbigh, and we often holidayed around there or not far off, so we could visit my Nana and uncle etc, who still lived on the farm - 'Goppa Farm' - where I saw my first calf being born. :D

We visited Angelsey a few times, Beaumaris, Taly-Bont (where we had many holidays in a caravan park in the 1970's) Criccieth, Harlech, Aberystwyth, Barmouth, Rhyl, Llandudno etc, as well as many trips around Snowdonia.
A beautiful area of the UK - although I'm biased of course!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was reading this thread thinking that I would like to visit Anglesey sometime, when I suddenly remembered that I had done so as I spent a week on Anglesey about 50 years ago. I don't remember much about it except that I was with a group of friends and we had hired a cottage for the week at a half-term in late October - I particularly remember the spectacular autumn colours of the trees.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We have a friend who lives on Anglesey, can't remember the name of the place, but it's at the very top end of the island and near the beach. We visited last year and although it was a lovely day, it's always blowing a gale! :lol:

8)

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

My favourite holiday location is Moulin Huet in Guernsey which is beautiful and secluded and full of caves and passages. Guernsey was developed in the 17th until the early 19th centuries almost entirely on money derived from piracy with 'Black John' Allaire the most vicious and successful of them. He ended up owning Jetou and Sark and when he died, his grandson found a vast store of loot in a cave on Jetou. He raided French ships on license but also attacked British merchant ships making sure all on board were murdered including women and children. 'Dead men tell no tales'. His descendant was the famous 'Dame of Sark' and the current Seignour.
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Rob Houghton wrote:As a child we pretty much travelled all over North Wales, as my dad is from there. he was born in a farm not far from Henllan near Denbigh, and we often holidayed around there or not far off, so we could visit my Nana and uncle etc, who still lived on the farm - 'Goppa Farm' - where I saw my first calf being born. :D

We visited Angelsey a few times, Beaumaris, Taly-Bont (where we had many holidays in a caravan park in the 1970's) Criccieth, Harlech, Aberystwyth, Barmouth, Rhyl, Llandudno etc, as well as many trips around Snowdonia.
A beautiful area of the UK - although I'm biased of course!
How nice that you have such happy holiday memories of North Wales, Rob, and I hope you'll enjoy your visit to Anglesey Courtenay, its stunningly atmospheric. We were hugely lucky to stay in a fairytale castle there (Chateau Rhianfa), the perfect location, and went on to Snowdonia to another castle experience!, the Royal Victoria Hotel at Llanberis has amazing 13th century ruins of Dolbadarn Castle in its grounds. Still, always lovely to be back in Pembrokeshire and interesting places to visit along the Landsker Line :D, along which 50 or more castle or strongholds were built to protect Norman lands.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.