Pets

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

My goldfish both died last year. I'd spent a fortune on them and managed to keep them almost a year - tank, gravel, air pump, filter, water treatment stuff, food, nets, yada yada and then one morning I woke up and there they were, floating on top of the tank..
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

George@Kirrin wrote:Sorry ot hear that Mollybob, I studied Leshmaniesis at uni oddly enough. I hope the treatment helps him
Thanks George :-) I'll let you know how it goes. At the moment I'm having to inject him with 4.2 ml Glucantamine every day, and he has to take Allopurinol pills too.
He's such a nice dog, I really hope it will work. He seems to have had more than his fair share of bad luck.
PeterPan

Post subject: Re: Pets

Post by PeterPan »

O.k folks
The following vids are from a German TV-show.
Have you ever seen a dog going upstairs and downstairs carrying a glass
with water on its head.Not one drop may be spilled.
Not ? Watch it here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuTLO9gT ... ed&search=

More?
Watch it there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPPAzX2e ... ed&search=
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery

Post by HeatherS »

I have two very jumpy puppies. One is Milo, a light brown chihuahua/jack russell (mostly jack russell, just smaller because of the chihuahua part) and Misty, a one-eyed black and white maltese/shi tzu.

We got Milo from a breeder at 8 weeks old, at the end of 2004. I found Misty in the carpark behind my workplace last year, coaxed her out from under a car with some ham, and called the RSPCA because she had a very badly injured eye. She was a bedraggled, scared little thing, about six months old and not fully grown yet. They removed her eye and fixed her up, we adopted her, and now she's a hyperactive puppy who races around the yard with Milo at ridiculous speeds.

So that's our family of little puppies, to add to our family of little people. :D
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

HeatherS wrote:I have two very jumpy puppies. One is Milo, a light brown chihuahua/jack russell (mostly jack russell, just smaller because of the chihuahua part) and Misty, a one-eyed black and white maltese/shi tzu.

We got Milo from a breeder at 8 weeks old, at the end of 2004. I found Misty in the carpark behind my workplace last year, coaxed her out from under a car with some ham, and called the RSPCA because she had a very badly injured eye. She was a bedraggled, scared little thing, about six months old and not fully grown yet. They removed her eye and fixed her up, we adopted her, and now she's a hyperactive puppy who races around the yard with Milo at ridiculous speeds.

So that's our family of little puppies, to add to our family of little people. :D
I am getting a Shih tzu in the summer can you give me any advice on how to look after one.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tinker wrote:I am getting a Shih tzu in the summer can you give me any advice...

Keep off spicy foods, drink plenty of water and take Immodium as prescribed.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist it!)
Society Member
PeterPan

Post subject: Re: Pets

Post by PeterPan »

:lol: :wink:
HeatherS

Post by HeatherS »

Tinker wrote:I am getting a Shih tzu in the summer can you give me any advice on how to look after one.
Don't let it pee on your carpet. :lol:

Really, my dogs are dogs. I'm a big meanie - they live outside. They play with each other, with my girls (who think it's fun to put them on the swing and make them wear hats :? ), and with me when I'm out hanging clothes on the line. They're fed twice a day (dog food, not people food), are made to eat awful worming tablet things and have flea stuff put on their necks, and get checked over by the vet every now and again. Their water bowl is always full, and we wash them when they're dirty, brush them occasionally, and get Misty clipped when she starts to resemble a mop.

That's pretty much it! Sorry, I'm not one of those "treat dogs like royalty" types. They have never been in a bedroom (let alone slept on a bed), never eaten from glass bowls, never been carried around with me in a handbag (a la Paris Hilton) and never slept on a sheepskin rug. And they both seem happy enough.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

HeatherS wrote:
Tinker wrote:I am getting a Shih tzu in the summer can you give me any advice on how to look after one.
Don't let it pee on your carpet. :lol:

Really, my dogs are dogs. I'm a big meanie - they live outside. They play with each other, with my girls (who think it's fun to put them on the swing and make them wear hats :? ), and with me when I'm out hanging clothes on the line. They're fed twice a day (dog food, not people food), are made to eat awful worming tablet things and have flea stuff put on their necks, and get checked over by the vet every now and again. Their water bowl is always full, and we wash them when they're dirty, brush them occasionally, and get Misty clipped when she starts to resemble a mop.

That's pretty much it! Sorry, I'm not one of those "treat dogs like royalty" types. They have never been in a bedroom (let alone slept on a bed), never eaten from glass bowls, never been carried around with me in a handbag (a la Paris Hilton) and never slept on a sheepskin rug. And they both seem happy enough.
I am glad you are not one who treats their dogs like royalty and thanks for the great advice.
Mollybob

Post by Mollybob »

I think the important thing is to treat dogs with consistency. If they've always been kept outside like Heather's then they will be perfectly happy because they don't know any different.
I must confess that my dogs both live inside and roam pretty much everywhere. However, apart from being allowed to lie on the sofa, they are generally treated as dogs. They eat dry dog food plus a few scraps now and then, go on long muddy walks (which may entail a cold shower in the garden upon their return home) and certainly don't get carried around as fashion accessories (I don't think they'd fit in my handbag anyway :wink: )
I always find it quite amusing that some people cook meals for their dogs. In Italy the supermarkets actually stock big bags of pasta for dogs :D
HeatherS

Post by HeatherS »

Mollybob wrote:I always find it quite amusing that some people cook meals for their dogs. In Italy the supermarkets actually stock big bags of pasta for dogs :D
My husband's family had a dog for years, and the family wansn't allowed to have seconds at mealtimes if there wouldn't be enough food left for the dog. Apparently she wouldn't eat dog food. I think that's likely because she found out Italian cooking is much nicer, and if she held out long enough she'd get some! She did live outside, but had her nice soft cushion (a real cushion, not a dog cushion) inside her kennel cleaned and ironed weekly. :) Yes, I DID say ironed. Crazy.
Heather
Anna Moss

Do you have a pet?

Post by Anna Moss »

Do you have any pets? If you were to get one which would you choose out of these? - guinea pig, kitten, parrot, rabbit or hamster? I have two guinea pigs - am I the only one?
Mollybob

Post by Mollybob »

Hi Anna, I have two dogs. If I had to choose a pet out of your list I'd probably choose a kitten. I used to have a rabbit when I was your age, but I've never had a guinea pig :)
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

Hi Anna, I have two guinea pigs too. They are really my daughters and they are called Meg and Mog. I also have a mad cat called Ralph that thinks he's a dustbin. I'd love to have a whole menagerie but I haven't got room, although I am contemplating a goat and some chickens.

Jen
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers

Post by Moose »

At the moment I do not . I will be moving into my own flat sometime in the next month though and so I mean to get a pet. I would like a rescue cat and a rescue dog. I have never owned a cat before but I think that they are absolutely wonderful creatures! We used to have a family dog but unfortunately she had to be put down a couple of years ago because she became ill - she was nearly 13 so I suppose she had a good life and a fairly long one for a dog :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF