Pets

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Pets

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:When you say crate, Chrissie, I'm assuming you mean a dog cage? A crate over here is an enclosed wooden thing.
By saying that Chrissie, I expect you're using a cage for your dog maybe.
Our Morgan sits in a travelling cage when in the car for his own safety, but that is all. I have never ever put my dogs in a cage whilst in the home. I don't understand why you would want too, personally. A dog is a member of your family. A young dog needs to play, run a round, go outside. If he is in a cage all those instincts are being prohibited and he thinks he is in a prison.
If you are meaning whilst you are out, then again, I've never done this. I've always started off leaving the 'puppy' for say 10mins, with plenty of toys etc. Then increasing it to 30mins, and so on and so on. So that I could easily go out for an hour or so. When the dog is an adult, he can easily be left but again, I've only ever left ours for a max of 4 hours. But he's always had a good walk first and a full belly of food, so he'll sleep.

Julie, I understand your point, many Europeans never heard about crates and rather accept the damage that their puppies cause in their home than getting their dog used to sleeping in a crate. I was thinking the same way at first and was not very thrilled about keeping our dog over night downstairs in his crate, but it turned out that he likes it. He was house-broken within 3 weeks thanks to the crate (and us getting up every 4 hours over night to let him out).

We live in an old Colonial style house, built in 1908. The doors downstairs don't shut properly any longer, so Cody can get into every room, even the ones which we cannot make dog-safe. So when we are not at home or over night, he has to sleep in his crate and he actually enjoys it. He has a cushion, a toy and something to chew on.

Here is a website which explains it better:

http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/201 ... r-prisons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a paragraph from that same website.
Some people still see crating dogs as a form of animal abuse. The idea of confining a dog to such a small space can be disturbing for many. Understandably, the idea of being confined in a box just big enough for us to lie down and turn around seems like a traumatic experience. But if we compare the living situations of early or modern humans with those of wild canids there is a striking difference. Humans look for large caverns, build shelters and homes large enough to move around and house a family. Wolves, coyotes and foxes will ignore a large cavity in the hills and prefer digging their own den, just large enough to curl up. The same way, we like to lie on beds or couches, when dogs often chose to sleep under the living room table or in small corners. In my house for instance, dogs are allowed on the furniture, but my 80 lb German shepherd loves to sleep in one of our closets. It’s dark and confined, and the last place I would want to be, but that’s where she feels comfortable.

We started with a large crate in which we had to put a divider first. By February Cody was so large that we were able to remove the divider.
By August he again had become so tall that we had to buy a new crate, the largest out there (1 meter high and 1 and 1/2 meters long, he can even stretch inside). Cody can enter it without ducking and turn around inside comfortably. Even when he has to wear Timmy's collar (at the end of December we'll get him neutered and he'll have to wear the plastic collar once more for a few days to disable him from chewing on his surgery wound), he fits inside the crate. Believe me, it offers a lot of space.

The crate is so large that it doesn't fit on the back seat of André's Nissan Rogue and also not on my Toyota Corolla back seat. That's why we got safety belts for both cars for Cody.
When I take him to the vet, I cannot bring him in a crate, because he already weighs 60+ pounds/lb.
I often wondered how dog owners with very large dogs get their sick dog to the vet without help? You simply cannot carry a 110 pound dog (Cody's dad Samson weighs 110 pounds).
We have animal health insurance and it saved us a lot of money during Cody's first year. I wish they also would offer an ambulance which picks up tall sick dogs.

I hardly ever leave him alone for more than 3 hours. Thanks to the very difficult health system in the US which makes it impossible for us to find a decent dentist where we live (in the suburbs of a city with 180.000 population!), my dentist lives 50 minutes from here.
Depending on the time of the day and the traffic I already spend close to 2 hours just getting there and getting back home plus a 2 hours root canal and dental cleaning. But that's the exception from the rule.
Most of the time I'm at home with Cody. I rather try to combine shopping, doc appt. and public library on one day, so I can be with Cody on the other 6 days instead of leaving him alone at home 3 times. Because he has no sense of time. Being left at home is what bothers him, so I rather leave him at home only once a week than more often for shorter times.

Cody has his daily walks, he runs around in the fenced-in yard once every hour for 15 minutes in order to pee and poop, I play with him, we snuggle...I think he has a happy life and gets very spoiled (we just bought 10 new dog toys for him at Petco, Petsmart and another dog store on Saturday).
Everybody tells us how handsome he is and that he makes a very happy impression. He is our beloved family member.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Well, a cage can be used with the door open as well. Many books on puppy training actually recommend the cage as a replacement for the basket with a puppy. At night, you can keep the door closed - provided you hear when puppy indicates (s)he needs to go outside and during the day it is puppy's little palace - or so these books say.

Why did I not buy one for Rock then?
1. Because a friend of mine, the gunsmith I mentioned, had a basket going spare. His Munsterlander was too sick to curl up in it any more. The poor fellow had bad hips, much worse than Rock. So why not use a basket with some blankets and old pillows? Looks a lot nicer, too.
2. I had a saloon car back then, so a box would more or less have filled up the boot entirely. What I got was a seatbelt harness for Rock. Didn't do any good as he got sick in the car. Seems like he can't handle the movement when he is sitting/lying at 90° towards the movement.
3. They used a cage at the home to get him to the vet's. The lad that had to run him there and back strongly advised me not to opt for a cage. Rock obviously wasn't used to one and so I decided to leave things as they were.
4. At home it was clear right from day one, that he was to have access to all rooms except for the cellar. Too much stuff down there he might find too interesting... In fact, had the door not been closed accidentally, nothing would have happened.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Dick Kirrin wrote: I had to change my car as Rock got sick in the back seat, so we needed an estate again - and Rock's help in chosing it was most gratefully received. :D I can tell you the story some time if you like.
I'd like to hear it!
Dick Kirrin wrote:He also damaged a door in the house when we was left alone - but that was partly our mistake. We should have built things up bit by bit. Five minutes outside, then ten, then twenty and so on and always don't make a song and dance about it. Just go and come back, appreciate the emphatic welcome you receive but don't go off: 'Oh my poor darling...' Show you are happy to be home again, but don't overdo it. Advice from my trainer, and Dad didn't want to listen. Well, we got a replacement door and our carpenter fixed the colouring and now it's all right again. Getting the door from ebay and travelling through half the country was interesting, especially for Rock sitting in the passenger's lap.

:lol: I take it Rock chewed the door? Dogs do seem to love chewing wood!

Ebony had severe separation anxiety when we got her, and one of the basic things we learned was not to make a fuss of her either before leaving or when returning. Unfortunately it wasn't possible for us to build up absences slowly because we both worked. She would usually wee in the hallway almost as soon as we left - even if I only went down to hang out washing I would come back to a puddle. :( The poor animal was constantly stressed to the max (and so was I!)

We actually did consider crating her because some dogs apparently feel more secure in a confined area, but we decided against it - not because we thought it cruel, but it didn't seem practical in our home for the size of crate we would need (and I'm not even sure how easily obtainable they are over here; as Chrissie says, it's more common in America). Also I felt that she was still likely to wee, and then she would have had to lie in it, which would have only demoralised her further. I did experiment with confining her and the other dog to one room and the hallway, but that didn't work so well. We tried a dap plug-in diffuser as well which was completely ineffective.

We don't have many rules in our home regarding the dogs. They're allowed in all the rooms, and on our bed, which we cover with a big throw. They are not allowed on the chairs or sofas, however, nor are they ever allowed to challenge us over food, space or toys.

I love having dogs about the place. Greyhounds are such lazy, elegant dogs with beautiful soft eyes and velvety coats. They have mad bursts of playing when they race around, throw their toys in the air, then pounce on them and race off again... and less than five minutes later they are lying curled up in a ball, snoozing!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

No, Rock scratched it so hard it took off a substantial layer of wood. He wanted out of the room and nobody was there to open the door. Poor boy.

The car story, well, here goes:
Last year, in April, I had to say good bye to my old car, which was an estate. My usual car dealer had something nice just got in, a lovely car, except for the facts that it was black - which isn't my favourite choice but suited it well - and it was a hatchback saloon. Unfortunately, no estates were within my price range, and since the rest was all right, I took this car. Can't say I regretted it till Rock came along. Granted, I was still mourning for my old car which was just brilliant and served me well for 370,000km. But the other one was nice enough.
Well, a Mondeo hatchback saloon is a big car, don't get me wrong, but the boot can either take a dog or luggage. As it was needed for luggage - at least occasionally - Rock took a seat in the back. We got a safety harness for him which will be attached to the seatbelt and thought all's grand. It was not. Rock got carsick unless we didn't stop for him to stretch his leg every 45 minutes or so. Of course this couldn't go on, would you like to have your dog vomit into yout car?
So a family council gathered up and discussed which car Dick is to get now. My parents knew me well enough not so suggest any other brand than Ford, so the next question was - which one and where shall we get it from? It was plain that a new car was entirely out of the question, I never buy anything newer than at least four or five year olds. If you get such a car from a respectable dealer and drive it into the ground, it is one of the cheapest forms of motering there are. One snag, however, does exist. These cars don't grow on trees.
Now, I was all for a Mondeo estate, pointing out that this car should be big enough, even on holiday. We always go by car, even to places like Greece, so a big car is a must. Dad suggested getting a Galaxy, which I vetoed. Three grown-ups and a setter don't really need a seven-seater, do they? And fuel consumption is a tad higher due to the fact that the car is higher. A test drive and especially a look at both the Galaxies in our price range and at the people that sold them, quickly made Dad think twice.
My usual car dealer was, much to their regret, not able to help. No Mondeo estate, used and with some nice bits and pieces and a big Diesel in, and none coming. She really tried ringing round but to no avail. Sadly.
Together, we even had a look at other cars offered online, but quite a lot was, erm, of unknown backgrounds. No, thanks a million, that was what both I and she said. She has been in the business for over 30 years and knows what's going on.
Well, if the local Ford dealers can't help, how about having a look at those farther away? Right, eventually we found a car that at least sounded good enough, about 90 min to two hours drive away. On the phone, things were looking even better - that salesman knew his onions, and we fixed a date for a test drive. I asked about Rock. Would it be OK to take him along?
I was expecting a No, and got a yes. What I didn't know was that their warehouse and spare parts assistant has a dog as well, so they were used to dogs both in the shop and in their cars.
Off we went. The dealer turned out to be a big one with a nice selection of cars. We went inside and the first thing Rock did was have a snuffle at a Mondeo estate. Sadly, it was the new model, just out a week over here in Germany - and so outside my price range. All the same, we were shaking with laughter, especially as this Mondeo was in the same colour as the one I was interested to have a look at. How on earth could Rock know what we wanted? You know, he walked past a nice sporty Focus, didn't as much as sniff at a C-Max on display there, too, but went straight for the Mondeo.
The same happened when the salesman showed us the one we had come for. He immediately offered a test drive - including Rock. Considering the looks we got from some backstreet dealers when we just wanted to bring Rock into their shop, we were most startled. Of course we said yes.
The car was looking nice enough and the records were OK, too. It had not been bought off some company car auction or anything but had belonged to a customer of theirs who had bought it when it was about a year old. So all respectable and neat. Rock's blanket went into the boot before I even knew it - they had to give my current one a glance over as well, after all they wanted to buy it and so took the blanket out when they drove it into the garage.
Rock got into the boot and lay down as if he had never done anything else. This being a normal estate car, there was no barrier between the back seat and the boot, so he could have gone as he wanted. He didn't go anywhere but slept or relaxed. When we got back he in fact was quite a happy dog.
The rest, as they say, was history. We haggled a little, just for show, after all, a straight yes would worry a car dealer, and then found common ground. I signed the contract and got the car.

So all that was needed now was a solid barrier to make sure Rock can't go walkies if he one day feels like it and a second one to keep him and any luggage firmly apart. That's by the way, what Daisy was referring to as Rock's jail. In Germany, dogs are seen as cargo in the eyes of the law and must be secured so that they cannot harm any person or distract the driver.
There are three options generally approved of.
A seatbelt for the doggy, well, you know what Rock thought of that - the mere idea made him sick! A cage, lashed down in the boot - they had something like that at the animal home. Rock didn't much like it and so they strongly advised me not to try it. And finally, a metal barrier to cut off the boot - that is what I went for. Got something made to fit just this car, something rock solid if you pardon the pun.
Since then, there has been no more fit of car sickness whatsoever. So, dog owners take advice from me and from Rock: Take doggy along for the test drive and do not buy from dealers that disapprove of dogs.
You know what they say: 'I don't trust people that don't like dogs. However, I trust my dog when he doesn't like a certain person.'
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Rock was obviously quite at ease in the car showroom and knew exactly what he wanted! :lol:

I can't imagine taking any of my dogs, past or present, to choose a car, to be honest. The first one was afraid of shiny floors (most showrooms are tiled). The second was afraid of people. The third and fourth would have embraced the experience too enthusiastically and tried to hop into every open door in the expectation of going for a ride somewhere - they would have got us chucked out!

Great story, Dick. I hope your new car serves you both well! I like Fords - we had a Focus estate for many years which did us brilliantly, and the back space was perfect for two lazy greyhounds who loved travelling.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Many thanks Sarah.

Well, I wouldn't have let Rock choose anything I disapproved of, surely. :) So he didn't have that much say in the matter, he only finalized a deal I was going to make if it was at all practical.

I like Fords for the bags of room they provide and for the value for money they offer. And for their understatement at a time where understatement has gone out of fashion.

Rock has recently discovered that fondling is especially nice in winter time. :D
Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Here is a picture of our new puppy Rosie. She is a Manchester Terrier like Morgan was.

8)

Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great picture, Julie. I hope Rosie gives you as much joy as Morgan did. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I hope Rosie brings you hours of fun, Julie. Looking forward to meeting her. :D
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

She looks gorgeous, Julie! And Rosie is a lovely name for her. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Lovely puppy, Julie. :D
You can call me Sunskriti!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rosie looks lovely, Julie! I'm sure she'll feel like part of the family in no time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, she's settling in really well. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Post by Maria Elena »

Lovely puppy! I suppose she is great company for you!! :D
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Great picture! :D. Your puppy is lovely and really cute!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member