The Beatles

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
ledzep93
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Re: The Beatles

Post by ledzep93 »

Oh wow, didn't know we had a thread for The Beatles! I recently bought vinyl copies of Sgt. Pepper and The Red Album, marvelous pieces of work. :D
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

John is my favourite Beatle and a wonderful example of how someone can change from a horrible mistreater of women to a feminist and supporter of equality for women.

In his last Interview, John stated that he would have to be a lot older before he could face how he treated women in his younger days.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Paul Austin wrote: In his last Interview, John stated that he would have to be a lot older before he could face how he treated women in his younger days.
Looks like he never managed to do that, then. :|
Society Member
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

Such a shame he died the way he did. My mum can vividly remember when/where she was and what she was doing when she found out he died. She was working at a professional horse farm building a sleigh for a Christmas show when the news came on the radio.
"I'll send you a telegram if I see a small, big boy with blue eyes, fair hair - and how many fingers did you say?" said Robin

The Boy Next Door
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

I can too as unfortunately it was within weeks of a school friend dying from a wasting decease so that whole period was and remains a very 'black' with me.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

John Lennon was actually the first famous person whose death I remember - even though I didn't know who he was! My mum was very upset and told me about it, but I was only seven so didn't really appreciate the significance. I think I had heard of the Beatles, but didn't know their individual names.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

My first contact with it was in the Asterix Comic: http://www.comedix.de/lexikon/db/beatles.php :D
ledzep93

Post by ledzep93 »

joanne_chan wrote:I can too as unfortunately it was within weeks of a school friend dying from a wasting decease so that whole period was and remains a very 'black' with me.
So sorry for your loss Joanne, at least John left behind some wonderful music :)

The Boy Next Door
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I don't think the Beatles ever made a Christmas musical record,but I've enjoyed listening to the special recordings they made each year for members of their fan club...

No songs,but if you like The Goons or Monty Python you should feel right at home!

The Beatles - Complete Christmas Records - 1963 to 1969 - 45 RPM - Flexi-Disc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFg4BWHEE_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The History of the Beatles’ Christmas Records

‘Wonderful Christmastime’ and ‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’ tend to get all the airplay, but the Beatles were releasing Christmas records before anyone in the U.S. knew who they were. The group started making them way back in 1963, as bonus item for members of its fan club. But they weren’t the radio-friendly songs that Paul McCartney and John Lennon scored with years later as solo artists. They were spoken-word messages with bits of holiday songs thrown in.

The records were eventually collected on a semi-official album, but these rarities — which were originally sent out as flexi-discs — provide a map to the way the members’ relationships and their music changed over the years. More than likely designed to shore up their image as wholesome pop stars, the annual Christmas records underscore the Beatles’ blithe embrace of the subversive and, at least initially, their brotherhood. After the split came far more popular, and tuneful, seasonal items from each of the members. We take a look at them all in our History of the Beatles’ Christmas Records.

Read More: The History of the Beatles’ Christmas Records | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles- ... ck=tsmclip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles- ... s-records/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Moonraker wrote:Sorry, Anita, but this really does need to be in a separate thread!

Bungalow Bill - Father McKenzie - Mr Moonlight - Mr Kite - Eleanor Rigby - Billy Shears - [etc.]
     I did a double-take when I saw this. It looked like a game to me - but what are the rules?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Hmmm... perhaps this was originally (or at some point in between) a game thread, and it's the other talk that's the interloper. I'd have to look through pages and pages to sort it out.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Pete wrote this in June 2013... that is how it started, not as a game as such.

How many different people did the Beatles name check in their songs?

I've got a feeling (no pun) that there will be quite a lot....
Can you think of any names mentioned in their music?

No need to write the song - just list the name.I will start us off-just list one at a time to give everyone else a chance to participate.

Bungalow Bill-
It petered out after a week or two as these things do when there must be a finite number.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ah yes - I remember Nigel suggesting that those posts might be moved to the Games section. At the time I didn't have a clue how to move posts relating to a particular topic when people had posted other non-related posts in between! But since then I've managed to work it out and do it elsewhere, so I'll have a go!

Edit: All done and is now in the Games thread:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... es#p175431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I found this short video showing John Lennon talking to an extremely devoted fan who had been camping out on his lawn very moving.
John was very patient,reasonable and kind towards him,I thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FViap2HRjJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by Red Tower »

It's from the "Imagine: John Lennon" film - an absolutely superb film about John.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095360/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member