The Beatles

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: The Beatles

Post by pete9012S »

BEATLES LIVERPOOL GUITAR SHOP FRANK HESSY'S CLOSES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIusO4xMMU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From time to time, the teenage John Lennon took the bus into Liverpool and stared longingly at the guitars in the window of Hessy’s, a music store in Whitechapel that carried the city’s best selection of instruments. If you bought a guitar there, John knew, Frank “Hessy” Hesselberg threw in free instruction, with classes of three or four beginners taught by his showroom manager. And yet, despite the opportunity to study with a teacher, Mimi steadfastly refused John’s appeals. She wouldn’t hear of it, arguing that guitar playing pertained to teddy boys and “was of no worldly use” to him.
Paul McCartney: “The other interesting point was there’s a very jazzy chord in it: ‘Michelle, ma belle.’ That second chord. That was a chord that was used twice in the Beatles: once to end George’s solo on ‘Till There Was You’ and again when I used it in this. It was a chord shown to us by a jazz guitarist called Jim Gretty who worked behind the counter at Frank Hessey’s where we used to buy our instruments on the never-never in Liverpool. So Jim Gretty showed us this one great ham-fisted jazz chord, bl##dy hell! George and I learned it off him.”
My parents took me to the same shop when I was about 12 or 13 in about 1982 to buy my first Fender Acoustic guitar.Jim Gretty was still there then and helped me pick the right instrument.
The free lessons where still on offer,but I had taken music in school as one of my options and also had separate guitar lessons in school every week during double maths...that was bliss! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

How about this in the news...

"Holy Grail" Beatles record to be auctioned

Wonder how much it will sell for!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Maybe more than Paul's Pants!! :D
'Paul McCartney's leather trousers' discovered by Bridlington pensioner
http://www.nme.com/news/paul-mccartney/71929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Last Song You Listened To

Post by Courtenay »

Split from 'Last Song You Listened To'.

Just had another dose of what is possibly my favourite Beatles song, if I had to choose... anyone else a fan?? :wink:

(I'm aware this is sacrilege and I'm too young to say it anyway, but I reckon George was actually the most talented of the Beatles. And definitely the best looking. :mrgreen: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by Lucky Star »

Courtenay wrote:
(I'm aware this is sacrilege and I'm too young to say it anyway, but I reckon George was actually the most talented of the Beatles. And definitely the best looking. :mrgreen: )
I think George was probably the most talented musician in the band. Paul and John definitely were the songwriting talent. As to best looking I am not qualified to answer. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Lucky Star wrote: As to best looking I am not qualified to answer. :lol:
Why do you think so, John ;-)?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I could get in big trouble if I got it wrong. :lol: :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

My favourite Beatles track is Anna ((Go To Him) from their first album, Please Please Me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f08j5MornwU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This showcases the vocals of the great John Lennon at his best.

John was the most talented of the group in my opinion. George was an outstanding lead guitarist whose playing contributed to the great sounds of all the group's recordings. On reflection, I think that George was the best looking, Courtenay. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

I think it was generally accepted that the best looking member of the Beatles was Stuart Sutcliffe, which led to him getting beaten up in Hamburg.

David
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I was only being tongue-in-cheek, Dave (again, I'm at least 30 years too young for my opinion on the matter to have any relevance anyway)... :wink: What's your favourite Beatles song, while we're here?
Society Member

snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books

Post by snugglepot »

if we are talking about Beatles' songs, my favourite is "She's Leaving Home" from the Sgt Pepper's album.
Hopefully this is a link to the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebDPus2AgoM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this is not the original but a tribute band. I am having trouble finding the original on YouTube.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

She's Leaving Home is a brilliant Beatles track. When I was teaching I used the lyrics of the song as one of my aids with classes who were writing essays on a theme entitled "The Generation Gap". :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

So did I, Eddie! I played the song while the pupils jotted down words expressing how it made them feel, along with any questions that came to mind.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great minds, Anita. :wink:

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

She's Leaving Home is one that always made me want to cry when I was little (still does, a bit) — just how torn it makes us feel between the young woman seeking something her life at home couldn't give her, and her parents grieving and baffled, not understanding why she's gone or what it was they did "wrong"... :cry: And then the last verse leaves us wondering — did the girl really find all she longed for, or did her "fun" turn to something more painful along the way? The lyrics really are so sparse and simple that they leave a whole lot unanswered and up to our imagination, which is probably one of the reasons why the song is so poignant.
Last edited by Courtenay on 03 Oct 2016, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member