The Beatles

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: The Beatles

Post by snugglepot »

I am glad you all appreciate my favourite Beatles song. I have loved it since I first heard it at nine years of age.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I am a fan of the Beatles! I really love them :D I am so glad so many people like them. I don't have a favourite song as I enjoy all of them. It's very difficult to choose. Honestly, the Beatles are my favourite English band (not that I know many). :mrgreen:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Courtenay wrote:I was only being tongue-in-cheek, Dave (again, I'm at least 30 years too young for my opinion on the matter to have any relevance anyway)... :wink: What's your favourite Beatles song, while we're here?
The film "Back Beat" gives a good account of Stuart Sutcliffe's time with the Beatles. He died aged 21 of a brain aneurysm, which may well have been caused by the beating he received from jealous German boyfriends of some of his girl fans.

Sorry to be so long to respond, but I find it difficult to single out any particular track. One of the things that impressed me about the Beatles was that they weren't afraid to try out different genres. I think I've mentioned on this thread before that the song Cilla Black recorded, "It's for You", uses an alternating time signature (inspired by Dave Brubeck).

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

One of the interesting things about the film "Back Beat" is that it is a Beatles film, with quite a lot of music, but does not contain even one song written by the Beatles! In the early days the Beatles did a lot of covers of other folks' songs!

The fight where Stuart Sutcliffe received his head injury seems to have taken place in Liverpool, not in Germany. I have heard rumors that he received his injury in a fight against John Lennon, but those seem to be false. But ultimately we really don't know how Stu got his brain aneurysm.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Courtenay wrote:She's Leaving Home is one that always made me want to cry when I was little (still does, a bit)...
She's Leaving Home is an interesting track.

George Martin was not involved in arranging the orchestration of the song (although he conducted the studio recording) and none of the Beatles actually played any of the music on it.. The song's instrumental background was performed entirely by a small string orchestra arranged by Mike Leander.
Sheila Bromberg Played the Harp on this famous Sgt Pepper track. Here she talks about the recording session and meets with Ringo Starr for the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZUKhkvLMQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally,
The stereo version of the song runs at a slower speed than the mono mix, and consequently is a semitone lower in pitch. This is mentioned in the booklet accompanying The Beatles in Mono CD box set, but no reason is given. A 2007 Mojo magazine article revealed the mono mix was sped up to make Paul sound younger and tighten the track
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

KEVP wrote:The fight where Stuart Sutcliffe received his head injury seems to have taken place in Liverpool, not in Germany. I have heard rumors that he received his injury in a fight against John Lennon, but those seem to be false. But ultimately we really don't know how Stu got his brain aneurysm.
Although he certainly was involved in a fight in Liverpool in 1959, he was not alone then. Lennon was with him and defended him. However, medical experts believe it is unlikely that it would take three years for the headaches to start. Therefore the Hamburg incident is the more probable cause.

I do not discount that there may well have been a fight between Lennon and Sutcliffe. John was a volatile character. On the other hand, John was the closest of the Beatles to Stuart. It was Paul who was always critical of him.

I agree that we shall never know with certainty. It's lost in the mists of time.

Dave

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Paul had a fight with Stuart in Germany as well.

I have a friend called Ray who knew John Lennon well before he was famous in his Liverpool days.
Ray said John was one of the toughest,hardest men he had ever met,who would never back out of any confrontation.

I think they were attacked outside of Litherland Town Hall in the early 1960's and that may be the time that John came to Stuart's aid-but I am only going from memory.

More accurate info here:

http://beatlemaniac.co.uk/fight.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

You may be interested in this picture, taken on a 1951 school trip, if you haven't seen it before.

John Lennon is standing centre left with his arms outstretched. To the right of him, adopting a boxing pose, is Jimmy Tarbuck. Just behind Lennon is newsreader to be, Peter Sissons.

Dave

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Of course, despite his violent youth, John Lennon eventually became a pacifist. There are some who seem to believe that his pacifism may have come from his guilt from believing that he may have been the cause of his good friend Stu's death.

But again, we really can't say for sure.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I was a member of my schools chess team.We often visited John Lennon's old school,Quarry Bank High to play chess against their school team - often playing chess in the same rooms his teachers tried to teach him.

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

Lucky Star wrote:
Daisy wrote: To me Liverpool reminds me of "the Liver Birds" which I used to enjoy very much.
I used to love that series too daisy. I was very young at the time but it was a great treat to be allowed to stay up and watch it with my Mum who loved it too. I went to Liverpool a couple of years ago and toured the rock n roll places of the city as well as the WW2 admiralty rooms and the U-Boat museum. It's a fascinating, lively and very friendly city. I have been meaning to go back for some time now.
I've been to Liverpool a good number of times - there's a half hourly London Midland train service you can take from one of biggest rail centres here with good links across the North-west Midlands - and it's a real friendly place with lots of things to visit outside of anything specifically Beatles.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Enjoyed reading some of this Thread, earlier this evening, I have been a fan of The Beatles, for a long time, and they have always been my favourite group.

I could never choose a favourite Beatles song, there are just too many, two of my favourite Beatles songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrL0Vpjkk5U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul McCartney, has always been my favourite Beatle, and George Harrison, has always been second favourite.

I will soon be obtaining a copy of the following Documentary film - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatl ... ays_a_Week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

There are apparently around 39 Beatles songs hidden in the picture, but depending on how you interpret some of them you may come up with more.
Name the ones you have found giving an idea where in the picture your song is..

1.She Came In Through The Bathroom window - top left on ladder

Over to you Beatle Nuts!!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good fun, Pete!

2. I Am the Walrus - bottom right hand corner
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

2. I Am the Walrus - bottom right hand corner
3. Helter Skelter - top right
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member