The Beatles

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Re: The Beatles

Post by Boodi »

I did that quiz a few pages back and was sure from my responses that I would be Paul. Imagine my surprise when I turned out to be George! I was delighted, as George was always my favourite Beatle.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Every year I extol the virtues (many and various) of the Great Dorset Steam Fair

http://www.steam-fair.co.uk/" target="_blank

This year they have the most amazing number of quality tribute acts - including the Bootleg Beatles. A ticket that gets you into the fair for the evening and gets you a great concert for £12.50 must be one of the best bargains of the year! :D

Tony, Nigel - anyone else - like to join me?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Great Dorset Steam Fair

Post by Moonraker »

Most years, Jane and I visit what we still refer to as Stourpaine (halcyon days). This year's event falls in our holiday period, I am not certain if we will be home then or not. We have been going for 30 years or so, it is a great event. Funnily enough, we have never been there at night - something we must amend asap.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Viewing the 600 acre site from the top of the Biggest Wheel is fantastic at anytime, but at night, with the illuminated fairground at your feet, it is just magical.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Viewing the 600 acre site from the top of the Biggest Wheel is fantastic at anytime, but at night, with the illuminated fairground at your feet, it is just magical.
It looks even better from the beer tent....Image
Society Member
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Cripes, where to start! I've grown up with the Beatles, and don't kow which song I could possibly label as my favourite! I think I'll just rate the individual albums. BTW, has anyone noticed that they aren't on iTunes at all? Crazy! :roll: Lucky that we have them all on cd.

Please Please Me: Brilliant for a fist album in my opinion. First song I Saw Her Standing There is brilliant! My dad's a performer, and he and I play heaps of Beatles (he also has a Vox amp, and a ¾ size Rickenbacker). I play the guitar solo in this one, and it's so much fun! Do you Want To Know A Secret is brilliant too.

With The Beatles: Not quite as good as the first album, but brilliant all the same. It Won't Be Long, Hold Me Tight, All My Loving, all great. I particularly love the way, in Hold Me Tight, at the start of the chorus John sings: "It feels so right, so hold me tight", and Paul sings: "It feels so right, now hold me tight", so they merge.Also, their version of Rollover Beethoven beat's Chuck Berry's by a mile! I love the way John and Paul write I Wanna Be Your Man for the Stones, then gave it to Ringo to sing! What an insult!

Hard Day's Night: Brilliant album. I love A Hard Day's Night, I Should Have Known Better (I play the harp (not harmonica, it's a harp!) on this one, when we play it), and most of the rest, so there's no point in listing them all here! Nigel will probably hate me for this, but I haven't seen the film! We have the video though, and I've heard of the joke with Wilfrid Brambell (who incidently was in the 1982 film of Island of Adventure). Aparently in the film he was constantly refered to as being 'very clean', but in Steptoe And Son (another great show) his son Harold always calls him a 'dirty old man. :lol:

Beatles For Sale: One of my personal favourites. We play the first three, Spoil The Party, Rock'n'Roll Music, Follow the Sun and Eight Days A Week. I particularly love Every Little Thing.

Help: And yet another album I love! Also, I've seen the film with this one, which was funny. I feel this was a better album for John, than for Paul; John having terrific songs such as Help!, Hide Your Love Away, You're Gonna Lose That Girl (which is probably one of his best songs), Ticket To Ride and It's Only Love.

Rubber Soul: Has to be one of their best albums, right at the meeting point between the early '60s pop music sound and the late '60s sound. Drive My Car, oh what a song! You should all try playing the intro on guitar! It's impossible to get the timing right! Nowhere Man I can't think of words to describe! Let's just say it probably has some of their best songs from that era.

Revolver: Taxman's great, Eleanor Rigby's, Good Day Sunshine and Got To Get You Into my Life are two brilliant examples of what Paul and John can do together.

I'll post the rest later if anyone likes.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes please Fatty, that was a very interesting post. I'm not fanatical about the Beatles but I do like them. Has anyone here bought the newly remastered CD's that have just been released? According to several people on my Elvis forum they are really excellent.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote: Has anyone here bought the newly remastered CD's that have just been released? According to several people on my Elvis forum they are really excellent.
I've bought Please Please Me and Beatles For Sale (both in stereo), John and the remastered sound is fantastic. :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I bought Stephen The Beatles all their No 1 hits which is remastered and he thinks it sounds great. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Oh dear, Do I really have to replace my prized collection of Beatles LPs that I have had since I was a teenager? I may be tempted to buy the re-mastered CDs if only to carry out an interesting experiment. Apparently, some of the early pressings of Sgt Pepper's Only Hearts Club Band contained a note that only dogs could hear, located at the end of A Day In a Life. Dare I play this remastered track to my niece's Jack Russell and observe the response? :wink:
Jeffery Greyling

Sgt. Pepper: A great album, my favourite songs being Getting Better, Fixing A Hole, When I'm Sixty-four and, of course, A Day In The Life. Oh, and Sgt. Pepper and She's Leaving Home too. At this point, George began writing songs such as Within You, Without You, and Love You To (the name on the back of my copy is spelt 'Love You To', but I'd think it would be spelt 'Love You Too" :? ) which are played with his sitar, and I (sorry to all fans) totally dislike.

Magical Mystery Tour: Everytime I hear that name, I think of the Rutles spoof, The Tragical History Tour. This album has some great songs such as Penny Lane, I Am The Walrus, and a few others such as The Magical Mystery Tour, All You Need is Love and Strawberry Fields. I bought the film for about 80p at a ahop that was closing down, but have not watched it yet. Aparently it's not too good, but fo such a bargain I couldn't miss it.

The Beatles (or The White Album): This album has some killer songs, but too many to list here. When I was very young, I particularly enjoyed Wild Honey Pie, but I've grown out of that now! This album goes to show that when you're famous, you can do anything, such as Revolution No. 9.

Yellow Submarine: The worst Beatles album hands down, for me. There are only three good songs that haven't been on other albums already; All Together Now (which I quite like despite how silly it is), Hey Bulldog (always one of my favourites), and All Too Much, which was quite a good song, but it needed some serious editing. The other side with all George Martin's stuff was terrible, I don't know why they released it!

Let It Be: One of my favourite albums. I love every song, so there's no point in repeating them all here, but it has such a raw feeling about it.

Abbey Road: A great album, with Come Together. The songs are mostly great, and once again, too many to list here, but I love nearly all of them.

I love Wings too, songs like Let 'Em In, Band On The Run, and I also love some of JL's solo stuff, like Nobody Told Me, and even GH's solo stuff, with My Sweet Lord, and What Is Life, and even Ringo with Photograph!
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

jchk4 wrote: BTW, has anyone noticed that they aren't on iTunes at all? Crazy! :roll:
Here's why!
Society Member
Jeffery Greyling

Interesting link. I've just remembered a Norman Gunston interview with Paul McCartney where Norman says: 'So was the fruit shop your idea?' or something like that, and Paul doesn't know what Norm's talking about until he realises Norman means Apple.
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

As the Beatles seem to have made a come back with their records, I bought the DVD of the film Help. I watched this film at the cinema when it first came out. A little corny, I know, but I thought I'd buy it and watch it anyway.
As Stephen was in London in meetings all day yesterday, and wasn't expected home until late, I put the film on, plus surround sound, and sat back and watched. I have to say I wasn't disappointed. All the songs were good, the film just as I remembered it, so for me it was a trip back to yesteryear in a way :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I hope you treated yourself to popcorn and chocolates as well Julie!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member