What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Aurélien »

Thank you, Eddie and Nigel. :D :D

No idea when my second eye will be zapped, but will be glad when it is and I have new lenses in my glasses. One thing about cataract operations - each eye only has to be done once.

Cobblestones could challenge mature knees, hips and ankles. May possibly also be slippery on wet days.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' 8)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's good to know that your operation went well and you're enjoying improved vision in your left eye, Aurélien. I hope your second operation is a success too. My dad also had a cataract removed from one of his eyes about three weeks ago and, like you, is waiting to have his second eye done. We spent the day with him and his partner today as they've come over to the UK from France for a few days, and he said he's impatient to have the second operation as he was amazed at how much his vision improved after the first one.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

That's great news about your dad, Anita. I hope his second operation will be as successful as the first one.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Resting a bit and enjoying my time reading Five go off on a Narrowboat!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's good to know that your operation went well and you're enjoying improved vision in your left eye, Aurélien. I hope your second operation is a success too. My dad also had a cataract removed from one of his eyes about three weeks ago and, like you, is waiting to have his second eye done. We spent the day with him and his partner today as they've come over to the UK from France for a few days, and he said he's impatient to have the second operation as he was amazed at how much his vision improved after the first one.
Glad that you are doing well, Aurelien, and that your dad's eyesight has improved, Anita. I had an operation a few years ago to remove a cataract and it certainly improved my eyesight. Mind you, I can't remember which eye was operated on. Perhaps I need an operation to improve my memory!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

floragord wrote:
Katharine wrote:I shall be in Bath (Barth) this weekend, but don't I'll have time to visit any of the lovely sounding places everyone is talking about, as I shall be helping my son move into his university accommodation. :D
Hope the move went well?
Yes thanks. Hard as always to leave a child hundreds of miles away in an unfamiliar place. :cry:

No time for sightseeing because of the length of time it takes to get there and back - 6 hours on the way home after a stop for something to eat, and slow traffic due to an accident.

However I did discover where Cirencester is roughly, as we passed signs for it on the way. :D
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Eddie Muir wrote:Chick and I have just returned home from a very enjoyable five day break in Bruges. It is a beautiful city in North West Begium famous for its canals, cobbled streets and medieval buildings. It also has a number of modern shops to suit all tastes. You'd love it, Julie. :wink: If anyone is looking for a Break in Northern Europe, we would recommend Bruges for your consideration. :D
Sounds lovely Eddie. I went there for a day many years ago, and thought it very nice. I'm sure it wasn't long enough to really appreciate it though.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It is indeed lovely, Katharine. Chick and I had been on day trips to Bruges in the past and felt that we needed to be there longer to really appreciate the city. Our five days there proved this to be correct. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

There's a slim chance that I might be off to Cornwall this coming Friday & coming back next Monday. I know Enid Blyton visited the County, but I'm not 100% sure where She stopped. It would be nice to visits some of the places frequented by her. Has anyone any suggestions? :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm not sure where Enid Blyton went in Cornwall, though Carbis Bay and St. Ives are mentioned in The Family at Red-Roofs and Polseath (old spelling of Polzeath) is mentioned in Five on a Treasure Island. Have fun if you do go, Number 6!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

How lovely, I hope you have a great time! :D

I can't remember any specific place names apart from Polseath, but Cornwall in general features quite a lot in her books, but without place names (Malory Towers) or with made up names (Spiggy Holes, Tremannon etc).

If you're looking for Blytyonesque places but not specific named places then the North Cornwall coast is fabulous for wrecker-esque atmospheres, especiaslly places like Trebarwith, the coast around Tintagel, Port Isaac and Port Quin, etc.
Even the fairly short walk acrtoss the cliffs from Tintagel to Boscastle is very Tremannon-esque becasuse there is a lighthouse/watchtower on the top of the cliff and the cliffs are very rocky and high, with deep green water below, and that reminds me so much of the wreckers tower.
I did the walk a few months ago and it was raining so I was the only person up there, and it was so lonely and atmospheric with the wind, rain and the tower, I was expecting the Guvnor to be about, waiting for his boat to come in!
I took loads of photos and I'll try and post some later maybe.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Thank you, Anita, Francis.

Best of luck with your father's second cataract operation, Anita, and with your own second operation, Francis.

'Tis like emerging from a long, dim tunnel!

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :D
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'm not sure where Enid Blyton went in Cornwall, though Carbis Bay and St. Ives are mentioned in The Family at Red-Roofs and Polseath (old spelling of Polzeath) is mentioned in Five on a Treasure Island. Have fun if you do go, Number 6!
Thanks, Anita! :D
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Eddie Muir wrote:It is indeed lovely, Katharine. Chick and I had been on day trips to Bruges in the past and felt that we needed to be there longer to really appreciate the city. Our five days there proved this to be correct. :D
Hope you have seen the film 'In Bruges', Eddie, - plenty of views of the city and is a very funny (black comedy) film.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I must admit I'd never heard of the film, In Bruges, Francis. I have just watched the YouTube trailer and it looks interesting. I must check it out. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :D

Society Member