Last Song You Listened To

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by pete9012S »

James Last - Love must be the Reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JmavaLykY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't expect many will remember this one! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Nice song, Petus. The only other James Last track I'd heard until now, is The Lonely Sheppard. An instrumental, that features Gheorghe Zamphir on the Pan Pipes.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thought this was pretty cool... two young brass players decided to stand outside legendary film composer John Williams' house and serenade him with the obvious piece — and he came out to meet them, too! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Domino

Post by Domino »

Glenn Miller and his Orchestra - American Patrol

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 3/11:51:16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This arrangement by Jerry Gray of the march written by F. W. Meacham in 1891 gave Glenn Miller a million-seller by 1944. The trumpet solo is by Billy May.
Glenn Miller was born in Clarinda, Iowa, in 1904. His first two orchestras were not successful, but his third, formed in 1938, soon became the most popular in America. He volunteered for military service in 1942 and formed the US Army Air Force Band. He died in 1944, when his plane disappeared over the English Channel en route from France to England. The exact cause has never been established.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was reminded of this song today - one of the very many I used to listen to in my mom and dad's large collection of 78's. Quicksilver - Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoISQBYjJw
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Artie Shaw and his Orchestra - Deep Purple

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 4/23:07:03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His real name was Arthur Arshawsky and he was born in New York City in 1910. Becoming a professional musician, he played in various orchestras forming his own in 1936. He recorded "Begin the Beguine" in 1938, which was a huge hit. He became one of America's most popular swing band leaders, rivalling Benny Goodman. In 1939, he famously walked out in the middle of a concert and flew to Mexico, apparently in protest at the lack of respect shown by American audiences. He formed another orchestra in 1940, which continued his popularity. It was disbanded in 1942 and he enlisted in the Navy. In 1943-44, he led the US Navy Band. In late 1944, he formed a new civilian orchestra which disbanded in 1945. He continued to form orchestras only to disband them. He died in 2004.
Helen Forrest was born Helen Fogel in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in 1917. She joined Shaw in 1938. After Shaw broke up the band in 1939, she went on to sing with Benny Goodman and then Harry James. She died in 1999.

Dave

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra - On the Sunny Side of the Street

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 5/21:22:23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thomas Dorsey was born in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania, in 1905. He and his older brother, Jimmy, formed The Dorsey Brothers' Orchestra in 1928. In 1935, after a furious row, Tommy walked out on his brother and took over Joe Haymes' Orchestra to form his own. Both Jimmy and Tommy became enormously popular. In 1953, Jimmy disbanded his Orchestra and joined Tommy's as featured soloist. Tommy died suddenly in 1956.
The Sentimentalists were the four Clark sisters, Mary, Peggy, Ann and Jean. (Peggy was married to Wilbur Schwartz, the clarinettist in the Glenn Miller Orchestra.) They were hired by Tommy in 1944 to replace his vocal group, The Pied Pipers, when they left to become a solo act. The sisters stayed with Tommy until 1953, when they left after a disagreement over money. They wanted to keep the name, The Sentimentalists, but Tommy wouldn't allow this, so they renamed themselves The Clark Sisters. They retired in 1977.

Dave

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Just a couple of days before I leave for another holiday in Cornwall, Classic FM (as I was in the car this afternoon) played the perfect piece: the Ladies in Lavender theme in a beautiful arrangement for harp and orchestra. I can't find the same version online, but here is the same harpist, Claire Jones, playing it solo. It was even better with the orchestral accompaniment, though — just about brought tears to my eyes, which is perhaps not such a good thing while driving!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

The Divine Comedy - Catherine The Great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4V7WBq72Gg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clever songwriter.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Bob Crosby and his Orchestra - Rose of Washington Square

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 8/22:29:27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob Crosby was born in 1913 in Spokane, Washington. He was the younger brother of Bing Crosby. He was a vocalist with the orchestras of Anson Weeks and The Dorsey Bothers before fronting his own orchestra 1935-1942. He appeared in many films and worked with Jack Benny on US radio and television. He died in 1993.

Dave

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

pete9012S wrote:The Divine Comedy - Catherine The Great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4V7WBq72Gg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clever songwriter.
Yes, it's good.
Another Catherine (of France):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwvN8w8fLBY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A piece of music I like and I was a bit surprised to be able to get it on you tube.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I was listening to Sounds Of The Sixties on Radio 2 earlier today and Brian Matthew played a song by Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames. He said that they used to be Billy Fury's backing band. I didn't know that and wondered if Eddie had ever seen them perform together.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I read your post with great interest, John. The answer to your question is YES! I saw Billy Fury backed by Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames at the Brighton Hippodrome on 13th May 1961 as part of "The Larry Parnes Rock 'n' Trad Spectacular". 17 year old Georgie Fame also did a solo spot on the show playing piano and singing Jerry Lee Lewis type numbers. Joe Brown also performed on the Hippodrome show: he closed the first half and Billy Fury closed the second half. It was a really great evening which is indelibly marked in my memory. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

The last song I listened to was a romantic one which I think it's needless to name. Lately I have become quite a fan of romantic singers ( I assure you it's not the age) ;) and I can't stop!!! :shock:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

That sounds like a remarkable show, Eddie. I like Joe Brown too. Going back to Sounds Of The Sixties, Brian Matthew certainly knows his subject and I love listening to some of the more obscure records he unearths from that era. He did say that Billy Fury had sacked Georgie Fame and his band, I wonder why.
Society Member