Game Shows/Quiz Shows

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Domino

Re: Game Shows/Quiz Shows

Post by Domino »

"Spot the Tune" ran from 1956 to 1962. "Name that Tune" was more or less the same format in the 1970s.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

As a child, I loved Larry Grayson's Generation Game from the late 70s/early 80s. A huge, gleaming spectacle of fun, complete with a cuddly toy on a conveyor belt! Larry Grayson himself came across as a sort of eccentric headmaster, and along with Tom Baker's Doctor Who was a staple character of Saturday night viewing!

I also remember Bruce Forsyth's Play Your Cards Right from around the same time which was great because of its simplicity (is it based on an actual card game?) But what spoilt it for me was Bruce's tendency to chat the contestants about their private lives for about ten minutes or so. As a kid, you're not in the slightest bit interested in anecdotes from people's honeymoons! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I used to watch The Generation Game more often when it was hosted by Bruce Forsyth - "Give us a twirl, Anthea!" I only occasionally watched Play Your Cards Right but it wasn't such a fun format, so I suppose it was felt that more chat was needed.

Other game/quiz shows I liked included Mr. and Mrs., Blankety Blank and Blockbusters.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I liked Blankety Blank when Les Dawson presented it. I didn't care for Terry Wogan.
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Blankety Blanks was also on in Australia, as well. Graham Kennedy, I believe, hosted it.

2 other game shoews over here, were Wheel of Fortune, and Catchphrase. Both of which, were hosted by John Burgess. John Burgess is back on Perth (Australia) radio, for 6ix (1080 on the AM band). He hosts the breakfast show (5:30am - 9:00am).
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We loved Wogan's Perfect Recall, but then our son did appear on it!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

We had Wheel of Fortune and Catchphrase too, Bannerman. I also used to like The Krypton Factor, Countdown (still on!) and Family Fortunes. I think Mastermind is still on as well, though I haven't watched it for a while.

I'm afraid I don't have any recall of Wogan's Perfect Recall but it's interesting that your son appeared on it, Nigel.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Do you have Letters and Numbers in Britain? :D

We get Eggheads in Australia - the British show, not an Aussie remake (my mum watches it). Oh yes, and QI. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I liked The Krypton Factor, but some of those mental agility and intelligence rounds looked impossibly difficult - and I say that as a member of Mensa!

Blankety Blank was good fun, but I have to admit as a child I never really "got" Les Dawson who would also spend ages chatting to the contestants rather than getting on with it, whereas Terry Wogan seemed a lot more straightforward. Still, I loved the zany Kenny Everett with his microphone-bending antics. But I seem to recall there were a few panellists - Spike Milligan being the worst, who would constantly give out deliberately stupid answers rather than helping members of the public win a prize!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Courtenay wrote:Do you have Letters and Numbers in Britain? :D
I haven't heard of it, so if we do I've missed it!
John Pickup wrote:I liked Blankety Blank when Les Dawson presented it. I didn't care for Terry Wogan.
I was the other way round. Blankety Blank seemed warmer and more cheerful to me when it was presented by Terry Wogan and I didn't watch it as much when Les Dawson took over.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Here it is - Letters and Numbers I'm sorry to see it's not being produced at present, only shown as repeats. My parents and I, while staying in Paris a couple of years ago, were amused to find the French version (Des Chiffres et des Lettres) on TV in our hotel room!

Here's a clip from it that shows both the letters and numbers games. The co-hosts who confirm the best solutions are Richard with his huge dictionary and Lily the maths genius - boy, it's good to see a game show where the female co-host ISN'T simply a walking dress shop mannequin!! 8) (Watch till the end to see her human calculator abilities at work.)

Wikipedia says it's very similar to the UK's Countdown, so I assume some of you will know that one?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ah yes - it's Countdown by another name. A very popular programme which I watch now and then.

Society Member