What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by floragord »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:There was so much about Florence that I loved - the Basilica di Santa Croce, the Boboli Gardens, the Ponte Vecchio, the galleries, etc. The city glows with elegance and splendour, yet is gloriously tranquil.
Your description certainly whets my appetite to visit Anita, got as far as roughing out a plan to spend a few days in Lucca and then 2 nights/3 days in Florance, we tend to stay well away from popular tourist destinations from June to end of August so will have to step on it to do May or back burner it to September! Were you there in the summer yourself?
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Rebeccadanielle
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clare's,

Post by Rebeccadanielle »

The past two weeks have been intense. I spent three days Saturday/Tuesday/Friday working and it was busy on all three days. Non-stop customers. I'm so glad it's the weekend now. Now I have a chance to do some reading.
I feel so tired, and of course the very sad news about Richie Benaud's passing has been devastating. He was the voice of my childhood summer.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I hope you enjoyed A Room With a View if you found time to watch it today, BB. It's a long while since I watched it or read the book - that's something I'll have to rectify in the near future.
floragord wrote:Your description certainly whets my appetite to visit Anita, got as far as roughing out a plan to spend a few days in Lucca and then 2 nights/3 days in Florance, we tend to stay well away from popular tourist destinations from June to end of August so will have to step on it to do May or back burner it to September! Were you there in the summer yourself?
I was in Florence with my friend Vanessa for a few days at the end of August/beginning of September 1989, as part of an Inter-Rail trip. I don't remember the place being too busy and I don't think we had to queue anywhere, but everywhere seems to have got busier since then.

I hope you get the chance to relax and do some reading over the weekend, Rebecca.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
floragord wrote:Your description certainly whets my appetite to visit Anita, got as far as roughing out a plan to spend a few days in Lucca and then 2 nights/3 days in Florance, we tend to stay well away from popular tourist destinations from June to end of August so will have to step on it to do May or back burner it to September! Were you there in the summer yourself?
I was in Florence with my friend Vanessa for a few days at the end of August/beginning of September 1989, as part of an Inter-Rail trip. I don't remember the place being too busy and I don't think we had to queue anywhere, but everywhere seems to have got busier since then.
We've discovered if we stay away from the busiest times of year, things are open but not as crowded as in high season - now tourism is a year-round phenomenon! The Eden Project and Dublin (to see the Books of Kells) come to mind, we walked straight in to both whereas the queues in the summer seem to stretch several times round the block :shock:
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Rebeccadanielle wrote: and of course the very sad news about Richie Benaud's passing has been devastating. He was the voice of my childhood summer.
I love cricket and I think Richie Benaud was one of the greatest tactical captains in the game. He was also a very competent commentator and well-liked over here in England as he spent many a summer here commentating for the BBC and Channel 4. A sad loss.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Farwa wrote:
sixret wrote:What type of bookcases do you like? The one with the glasses, the one without glasses or the build-in bookcases? Or put the books in the boxes? Which one is your choice? :D
I like the open bookshelves without glasses best, as they have a library effect. Then come the ones with the glasses, which are better if you want to shield them from dust, etc.
Yes I prefer the one with glasses to protect my books from dust. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I are enjoying some very welcome sunshine here in Brighton. It's a bit breezy, but it's great to see the sun. Summer is on its way - we hope. :D

Our younger grandson, Harry is three years old today and will be having a birthday party this afternoon. It should be fun and just a little noisy! :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Three years old already, gosh, how the time flies by, Eddie. Hope you all enjoy the day.

I'm going over to Falmouth this morning to pick up my car, which has had a warranty service and a warranty check up. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you, Julie. Have a good time in Falmouth. Are there any good shops there? :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Eddie Muir wrote:Chick and I are enjoying some very welcome sunshine here in Brighton. It's a bit breezy, but it's great to see the sun. Summer is on its way - we hope. :D

Our younger grandson, Harry is three years old today and will be having a birthday party this afternoon. It should be fun and just a little noisy! :lol:
The sea is sparkling in the sunshine in Bexhill, Eddie, the air's somewhat fresh here on the seafront but manageable, supposed to be more gale force by tomorrow so we'd best get out sharpish! Hope the birthday party goes with a swing, enjoy!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Happy Birthday to Harry! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you, Floragord and Anita. :D

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Happy Birthday to Harry from me too. Glad you're enjoying the sun Eddie. I shall be working all afternoon unfortunately. :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Please send my happy birthday wish to Harry, Eddie. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just got back from an open morning of a new housing complex. No intention of buying, we just went out of curiosity. Interesting to see how the other half live! I think I discovered the modern equivalent of a Farmhouse Kitchen which has been discussed in another thread. There was a room which took up most of the ground floor of the house. The kitchen bit was in the centre, with a space to one side presumably for a dining area and another larger section to the other side with a wood burner in it, which I'm guessing was a lounge bit, although there was another lounge on the 1st floor.

I must be getting old, as instead of being impression by the three bathrooms (each with a shower AND bath) and two separate 2 separate toilets as well, all I could think was what a lot of cleaning that would involve! On the plus side I suppose, with 5 toilets in that house, my family would never have to queue again. :D

Just wondering what any of the characters in Enid's books would make of such luxury? Oh I forgot - toilets don't exist in her world. :wink:
Society Member