Pointless Registration

Important forum announcements.
Tony Summerfield

Pointless Registration

Post by Tony Summerfield »

So far this month 23 people have registered on the forums and only one has posted, and even then just one post. 16 of these haven't even logged in once. As these forums are set up so that anybody can read them it does strike me as totally pointless to register unless you wish to make a post.
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Re: Pointless Registration

Post by Timmylover »

It no longer surprises me when I hear of people behaving in an illogical and pointless manner. I am, however, still mystified as to what motivates certain people to act like this. Very strange!
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I wonder if some people don't realise you don't need to register in order to read the forums.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Puzzling indeed. But with people, who knows what moves them.... :roll:

The ever-helpful 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I find it totally baffling.

Do some people just like us all to say "Welcome" to them to make their lonely lives feel better? :?

If Admin had nothing better to do ( :lol:) I'd ask that those who haven't posted for a year, and then fewer than 3 posts, are removed from the members list.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Tony Summerfield

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:I find it totally baffling.

Do some people just like us all to say "Welcome" to them to make their lonely lives feel better? :?

If Admin had nothing better to do ( :lol:) I'd ask that those who haven't posted for a year, and then fewer than 3 posts, are removed from the members list.

Viv
You can't even welcome someone if they don't post in the first place! You are absolutely right however in thinking that I can think of plenty of better things to do than removing about two thousand people and I am sure that Anita would concur! :roll:

Just to put this into perspective, the forums are set up in such a way that I would have to go in and out of admin all the time, check someone out to see when they last posted, delete them and then be asked 'are you sure you want to do this' - a minimum of two minutes a person, which would mean about 65 hours of non-stop uninterrupted work!!!!!! :cry: :cry:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

What about introducing a £1 paypal or (other method)minimum donation to the society to become a new 'forum member' then even if nothing is posted people are still able to contribute to the societies running costs?? :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

pete9012S wrote:What about introducing a £1 paypal or (other method)minimum donation to the society to become a new 'forum member' then even if nothing is posted people are still able to contribute to the societies running costs?? :D :D
That would eliminate all the children!!! :lol: :lol: It would also take out a number of adults and some countries still don't offer PayPal. It is a nice idea, Pete, but the website does now pay for itself with the Google ads and so long as we don't make a loss I am a happy bunny.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:If Admin had nothing better to do ( :lol:) I'd ask that those who haven't posted for a year, and then fewer than 3 posts, are removed from the members list.
You are absolutely right in thinking that I can think of plenty of better things to do than removing about two thousand people and I am sure that Anita would concur! :roll:
I sure do! :P It is strange that so many people register for no reason though.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
ria ann
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Five Find-Outers,St.Clares,
Favourite character: Timmy, George,Bobby,Claudine,Alicia

Post by ria ann »

I think that people just think that they will post something in the forums but then find no time to even log in.
Ria Ann
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nothing surprices me these days, but maybe these people think that they have to register even to put up a message on the message board home page? Or else they register, go and brew up and then forget what their password is!!!!!!

Just a thought.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Nothing surprices me these days, but maybe these people think that they have to register even to put up a message on the message board home page? Or else they register, go and brew up and then forget what their password is!!!!!!

Just a thought.

8)
I can sympathise if that is the case. I have so many passwords for bank accounts, E-Bay etc. that I've been known to forgot before. :oops: and that's before the added complication of having to remember User ID numbers and User names :?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

So long as they give a correct email address, they all get an automatic email which has their username and password on it. They then get a further email to say that their account has been activated. About a week ago someone sent me an email to ask why they still hadn't been activated when they had registered several hours ago. They had registered in the middle of our night and despite some people thinking that I should sit at my computer in my well-staffed office for 24/7 I do occasionally like to get a bit of sleep.

I immediately registered that person, but despite sending me a curt email they haven't yet logged in. In case they are reading this post, I am talking about you 'indigo'! :twisted:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:despite some people thinking that I should sit at my computer in my well-staffed office for 24/7...
Don't you, then?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Moonraker wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:despite some people thinking that I should sit at my computer in my well-staffed office for 24/7...
Don't you, then?
Do I heck! :roll: