February 2009 - site moved to new server

Important forum announcements.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: February 2009 - site moved to new server

Post by Ming »

Good to hear that, Eddie - I know well the delights of a new toy! My parents find it hard to drag me away from my little laptop too - in the end they sometimes (but very infrequently, I'm now enjoying a weekend before my remaining 6 papers) resort to taking the laptop away at night - doesn't work very well, because I always happen to see it! It's far more effective during the day. :D :lol:

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Have fun with the new G7, Eddie! Playing with new toys can be very good! :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks, Ming and Philip. I am certainly enjoying my new toy! :D Good luck with those remaining 6 papers, Ming.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

A very, very late update on the dustwrapper issue. It's finally become right, because my desktop (freshly repaired despite being so old!) has become faster. The internet speed remains the same, though - 0.17 mbps for uploads and downloads both. But it still, the new processor which we have bought is doing the best to fasten up the computer.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moonraker wrote: Image
I seem to have had quite an increase since the above post!

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Keith Robinson wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:Hmm, I think it must be the lowest of ALL the tests ever done! :roll: Really... but the fact is, the speeds are same every place here. I can do nothing.
Philip, I'm stunned!! And it says Bharti Broadband too. What's broad about it? Looks like Bharti Narrowband to me. Or Bharti Nanoband. It would be quicker if you got up, left the house, got on a bus, and traveled to wherever the website is hosted and viewed it there, rather than trying to use the internet!

There are lots of possibilities, but you need to take the first step and complain to your ISP. They won't do a single thing about it unless you ask them to, because they probably don't know there's a problem. Unless it is, as you say, the same kind of terrible cable service everywhere, in which case they have no business calling it broadband internet!! Seriously, you'd be better off on dial-up.
Though 0,2 Mbit is slow, there are areas in Germany that run with 0,35 Mbit and that are charged as broadband, though it's described as DSL light (0,35 - 1 Mbit). And there are areas in Germany that have no broadband connection at all. Some providers offer connections via UMTS (Cell phone net), but not all areas have access to this kind of net as well. There's an initiative to make broadband available to all households with a download rate of about 1 Mbit, but with the economy crisis this project doesn't seem to run as fast as it could.
BTW Keith, if you had the choice between your 23k dial-up modem and 0,18 Mbit narrowband, would you really choose the 23k option? ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't really understand this! When I place the cursor over my internet icon on the task tray, it reads 54.0 Mbps (it reads 100 Mbps on my PC - the laptop has a wireless connection). So, is it 9.94 or 54.0?
Society Member
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters

Post by Mac99 »

Hi Moonraker,

Your 100/54 reading is for the network in your pc/laptop and the maximum capable under that. Your 9.8Mb reading is the true reading of the ISP. The 9.8Mb is down to your ISP and if you are with Virgin then I believe for an extra amount you can bump this up to at least 20Mb and in some areas 50Mb.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Mac
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hi Mac

Thanks a lot for that! Yes, I am on 10Mb from Virgin, and can go , as you say, up to 50Mb. I couldn't see how I could be on 100Mb/sec!
Society Member
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters

Post by Mac99 »

Hi,

Yes mine is a 100Mb on the PC as well. Wish the speed I got was 100Mb but sadly I get 7.9Mb (not cable).

Regards
Mac