Forums Off Air

Important forum announcements.
Susie

Post by Susie »

My avatar is humongous, it looks so pretty can it stay this way?
There is always something else new to learn.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Thanks, Viking Star! It's always a bit fiddly moving a site from one server to another when it's visited and used as regularly as this one. But, apart from a few minor issues, everything seems to be fine.

Can you not edit your message, Viking Star? Other have reported this too, but I'm not sure if the bug still exists now? I never actually saw this bug myself -- the edit button always worked fine for me, and still does.

I've also sorted out the avatars. Rather than reinstall that missing patch, I decided to disable the ability to use externally hosted images, which the forum system had limited control over. All those avatars that were hosted at PhotoBucket or ImageShack or similar have now been resized as necessary and included in the Society webspace.

To upload or change an avatar in future, you can upload it directly from your computer OR link to an external image -- the difference is that the external image will be COPIED to the Society webspace. The image you use as an avatar must be no larger in physical size than 100 x 100 pixels, and no larger in file size than 30KB. Most 100 x 100 images are only about 10KB, providing they are JPG or GIF format (the standard for web images).

Soon I intend offering a standalone image resizing tool so that images can be fed into the machine and, moments later, spat out as an avatar-size version which can then be uploaded to the forum profile.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Susie wrote:My avatar is humongous, it looks so pretty can it stay this way?
Actually, Susie, you were the proud owner of the largest avatar on the forums!! But it's now resized to a respectable size. If you still see your avatar as gigantic, then try refreshing your browser. :)
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Keith Robinson wrote: Can you not edit your message, Viking Star? Other have reported this too, but I'm not sure if the bug still exists now? I never actually saw this bug myself -- the edit button always worked fine for me, and still does.
I've just checked about 5 strings on which I've posted. They are all fine except my post on this one.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

For "post" now read "posts". ;-)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Hmm, see my edit above. All I can say is, see how it goes. Maybe it was a blip?
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

I've just noticed the "search" function doesn't seem to be bringing up any results from posts older than the change-over. I even tried obvious words like "Enid" and "books" - still nothing except for March 16th posts.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

Oooh, and I almost forgot (I don't have an edit function on this thread either) - Thanks to Keith and Matt for all your hard work! And also to Tony for sending out the Journals. I'll be making a beeline to my letterbox when I get home from work.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Thank you Keith and Matt! :D

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Viking Star wrote:Actually I was going to edit my post to thank Keith who, thinking about it, did much of the work. However this string doesn't have the 'edit' facility.... :?

Edit by Keith: Works fine for me! But then, I am All Powerful... :)
Crikey! I don't have it either! And I also thought we couldn't post in the Admin Announcements section, but I see we can! Weird!

Of course, Keith is the All Powerful.... *grumble, grumble* :wink:

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Ming, you can post in the Admin Announcements section, you just can't start topics in here, only admin and mods can. If you look back though, you'll see there are many replies in this forum
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Ah, thanks for letting me know! I thought the replies in this forum was posted before the "you cannot post new topics..." etc were used (that is, I thought it was first "can" and later changed to "cannot"). Thanks for the info.

I notice the "can" and "cannot" phrases at the bottom of the page has been edited.
Last edited by Ming on 16 Mar 2007, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Ah, sorry about that. I have fixed the edit feature.

Thanks for reporting all these bugs! And please keep doing so. We'll have them all smoothed out soon.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thanks for that. :D I edited my previous message to check.

Society Member
Constable Sharp

Post by Constable Sharp »

Ming wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:Think how many Blyton books you will be able to read whilst you are looking at a screen which will tell you that the Forums are off air!!
Ah, that would have been wonderful, but I wasn't at home! I returned at 10.30 pm, and just saw the forums are up again! BTW, some avatars have become enormous!
You are right lassie some avatars are getting huge.