Important forum announcements.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Monthly Quiz

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

John Pickup wrote:Perhaps Julie had a narrow escape. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Probably Coutenay thinks she was the one having a narrow escape. As I obviously have two heads three eyes and a purple head, which must be why she definitely didn't want to meet up with me! :lol: :lol:
Moonraker wrote:We'd all better beware as Courtenay has threatened to partake in a future gathering.... :twisted:
You'll be safe if I come along, I'm sure! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We could both be whisked away to Courtenay's castle, never to be seen again! (Apologies for going so far off topic)
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh dear, you lot. I don't have a castle and would have better things to do than whisk people away to it to "disappear" them if I did have one! :P

I felt a bit shy about going out of my way in Cornwall to impose myself on Julie when she hadn't made any offer herself and we don't really know each other — I'm sorry now I didn't contact you and ask, Julie, but I just felt awkward about it. I'm sure there'll be another time.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, on a recent trip to Shropshire we were close to some members of another forum. However, I felt slightly uneasy at meeting people I had only 'spoken' to online. Also, Jane wouldn't know them from Adam. As we were only there a few days, I kept quiet about it! I wonder too about the ethics. Should the visitor ask the resident, or the resident ask the visitor? I suppose a 'casual' enquiry for either side to contact the other could prevent either being 'put on the spot'. I reckon Courtenay was more scared of meeting Morgan than Julie!

I am pretty sure that I met other forummers first at an Enid Blyton Day, which was useful as I knew then who I would willingly meet up with should I be in the home area - and of course, should they wish to meet up with me!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

My first meeting with other forumites was at an EB day... a useful way of finding out if you would want to spend more one to one time with any of them! My feeling is that if a member states on here that they are going to be in a certain area it is up to the resident to issue an invitation, either to visit the home of the said resident, or maybe suggest a meeting place convenient to both. If the visitor feels uncomfortable with that, there is always the excuse that it doesn't fit the schedule which may be quite true, but may not!
I have enjoyed meeting various people and we always find plenty to talk about!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Daisy wrote: My feeling is that if a member states on here that they are going to be in a certain area it is up to the resident to issue an invitation, either to visit the home of the said resident, or maybe suggest a meeting place convenient to both. If the visitor feels uncomfortable with that, there is always the excuse that it doesn't fit the schedule which may be quite true, but may not!
This is true, Daisy. Or one could drop a hint as one doesn't always want to impose on someone or their holiday break. Or you could ask that person through someone else, if they are willing to do so on your behalf, if you are rather nervous of approaching that person yourself, which I do often.

8)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm the sort of person who would rather meet up for a coffee or lunch with a forumite rather than visit their house or they visit mine. Maybe on a second meeting it would be more acceptable to visit houses - although this is always dependant on how individuals feel.

Most of the EB members I know I spoke to briefly at EB Days. I'm a fairly shy person in a situation like the EB Days and prefer smaller group meetings, otherwise I tend to be just the 'member in the corner' who doesn't say much. In smaller situations you probably wouldn't be able to shut me up! ;-)

I tend to think it's up to the resident member to say 'if you're near Birmingham (or wherever) let's meet for a coffee...' etc. Sometimes the visitor might not be able to fit it into their schedule, and that's cool, but I wouldn't think many visitors would feel confident enough to suggest meet ups with members who were in the area they were holidaying, unless it was on 'neutral' territory. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's great when topics go off topic! :lol: :lol:

I would be always willing to meet anyone who contacted me for a tea somewhere. If they prefer not to that's fine. But I do like to be let down gently at my age with some consideration too! :lol:

8)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:It's great when topics go off topic! :lol: :lol:
Lol! I didn't even realise what the topic was! :oops:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Here's a template:

I'm pleased to hear you will be visiting the [location] area. Do try to visit [location], I'm sure you'd enjoy it. If you have a spare five minutes in your holiday schedule, it would be great to meet up for a coffee (or beer!) and a chat. Of course, I quite understand if time does not allow for this, I know how time flies when on holiday! Just let me know if you get the time.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

When I went to Dorset last year, I passed close by Nigel, Tony and Francis. I remember thinking sadly that we didn't have time to detour, but then I thought even if we had, would I have contacted any of them anyway? Would they really want me to invite myself round for a cup of tea, and I also had to consider that the rest of my family would probably have been bored if I'd spent an hour or two discussing Enid Blyton!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's why I love the gatherings we have and the E.B Days I have been to. Everyone can gather together and you get to meet everyone. And by going to the E.B Days, I have been lucky enough to make some fabulous friends. :D

8)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I do hope we can have another gathering soon(ish) — there have been two since I joined the Society, but both turned out to be on days when something else came up and I just couldn't make it! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Just to reassure everyone, Courtenay had nothing to do with my "disappearance". Our meeting was (sadly) all to brief, so she never got the chance to put into place any nefarious schemes she may (or may not :wink: ) have been planning. I'm wondering now if I had a lucky escape. :shock:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Just to calm any fears (or maybe roughen them up), anyone is more than welcome to meet up with me if passing nearby. I may not see your post and would hate to miss the chance to meet up with (most of) you. It would have been lovely to have met up with you, Katharine.
Society Member