Teachers World Letters, Jan 1930 - July 1934

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Enid Blyton's Weekly Letters in Teachers World

Post by Poppy »

I really enjoyed the uncollected story: though you would have thought both Mother Grumps and Truda wouldn't have repeated their mistake three times running! Nevertheless - a very entertaining and enjoyable tale.

Enid's letter was great, as usual, too. I think it was nice that Patabang's kitten didn't go away, too far, and ended up with such a caring owner! It was nice to see some more nature references in Enid's letter, this week! The bird-visitors are along the same lines as our own: Robins, Blackbirds, Thrushes, Black-Caps, etc. We've had one or two big Magpies in the garden, too, stealing the smaller birds seed! We also saw a Buzzard at the weekend on our walk, which was lovely. It was getting chased away by two big crows!

Poor Bobs, being frightened of the fireworks. Dino was, too, as I mentioned in another thread, so we're all glad Bonfire Night is over! Bobs' letter was great! I do love reading his perspective on things! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the link, Kate Mary. I'm glad Pitpat has gone to a good home and it's lovely to hear about Enid Blyton's birds and the planting of the bulbs. An amusing letter from Bobs!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Another lovely letter - Pitpat is a very sweet name for the kitten! I'm glad she (or he?) went to a caring home. Also enjoyed reading about the bulbs and the birds. British gardens and British birds are still all quite new to me, so I appreciate Enid's descriptions of them. Bobs' letter made me laugh, especially with him and Sandy digging up all the bulbs - though I wouldn't have been laughing if I'd been the one who planted them!

The uncollected story reminded me of a few old folk tales mixed together - probably where Enid got her inspiration, knowingly or unknowingly. Plenty of traditional stories involve children running away or doing something they shouldn't, getting caught by a witch or other wicked character, and having to escape by some clever trick - although yes, you'd think both Truda and Mother Grumps would have learned faster!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Pitpat? Oh my..... :oops:
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Is that another rude word in Malay, Sixret? :|
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Good old Bobs. I can picture him watching Mistress planting her bulbs and him waiting patiently to dig them up when she'd finished. That dog's letters just crack me up. :D
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

No Courtenay. It is not a rude word and not a formal word at all but a sound we make for fart. :lol:
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, could be worse then. :wink:
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

This week we hear of preparations being made for the winter. The animals have grown thicker coats, toads Terence and Timothy are hibernating, and the gardener is clearing the garden and burning rubbish:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting photo of the boys and their monkeys in Casablanca. In The Ship of Adventure, Philip rescues Micky from the bottom of a tower in a Moroccan town, as the monkey is being ill-treated by a group of children.

How funny about Sandy and the mole! I bet Enid checked her slippers carefully after that, before putting them on!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for the link, Anita.

Enid's descriptions of the changing temperatures and weather, are spot-on! It definitely feels a lot cooler, and we're all full of cold at the moment! Poor old Bobs and Sandy - I'm surprised Enid didn't get them to wear coats! Dino wears one on the really freezing days and he seems to quite enjoy it!

The trees and greenery do all seem to be looking bare now. We have found some lovely Holly Bushes, though, which look gorgeous at this time of year - full of berries. We'll be off up there on Christmas Eve to collect some!

I immediately thought of Philip finding the poor injured monkey in the Moroccan Tower, too, when I saw that photo, Anita.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I keep my wellies in the garage, and always check the insides before putting them on!
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I also love Enid's evocative descriptions of the increasingly wintry weather, the animals and the bonfire. Maybe she thought it would be pretentious or "wussy" (I can't think of a less colloquial term just now) for her dogs to wear coats! Even in Australia, we put a coat on our dog Sandy when she goes out walking in winter. She's also been known to bring bones indoors and try to bury them in Mum and Dad's bed - but no dead creatures in slippers, thank goodness! :lol:
Society Member

John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

After reading Enid's latest letter I thought of Philip rescuing the monkey which was being ill-treated. I love her description of the bonfires; crickle crackle crack, that's just what they sound like!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't agree with her about the smell. It's awful and your clothes stink.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I thought of that too - the smell of a bonfire is exciting while it's going on, but horrible when it's still clinging to your clothes and hair the next morning!

Enid's delight in it seems a bit odd, actually, since I'm sure I remember in one of her books - I think it's in The Treasure Hunters, when the children make a fire in the fireplace of the little house in the woods, and find that the chimney is blocked and the fire smokes terribly - one of the characters declares, "Wood smoke is always horrid"! :|
Society Member