Mary Gernat

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Mary Gernat

Post by pete9012S »

Here's Roger's recent BBC Radio Solent Interview on video:

https://www.facebook.com/BBCRadioSolent ... 441575719/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Lucky Star wrote:Being cynical I wonder if Roger is planning to sell some of those wonderful illustrations he is holding up in the DM article. If so a bit of publicity like this would probably push up the price he gets for them. I must admit I would love to have some of them hanging on my wall.
What you can see in the photo of him holding up a framed picture is not the actual artwork but one of the blown up prints. The rough artwork that he has is all the same size as the actual paperback book. My two bits are framed, but I might see if I can scan them through the glass.

In case someone has spotted an Enid Blyton book in one of the articles that isn't in the Cave, it is because The Adventure of the Blue Admiral was written by Dorothy Clewes! I have a copy of the Armada book and it looks a bit different!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote:What you can see in the photo of him holding up a framed picture is not the actual artwork but one of the blown up prints. The rough artwork that he has is all the same size as the actual paperback book. My two bits are framed, but I might see if I can scan them through the glass.
Ah thank you Tony. They would still look nice on my wall though, original or not. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Mary Mouse

Enid and Mary Gernat in today's Times

Post by Mary Mouse »

Merged with an earlier topic.

If you can access page 34 of the Times, or look under Enid Blyton on the website, there is an interesting colour article about the four boys who were the real-life inspiration for Mary Gernat's 1960s illustrations of Blyton books such as The secret of Killimooin.
I would love to upload a picture of the article so that everyone can see it, but am not sure how to do this!
Tony Summerfield

Here are my two bits of artwork, note particularly the signatures are not from a neat stencil.

The images below show the rough artwork for 'Blue Admiral' and the actual paperback.
Image Image
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The Blue Admiral and the rest of the series by Dorothy Clewes are very good. I have read them all though do not possess any.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I do like the illustration of Mary Gernat. The Adventure of the Blue Admiral looks an intriguing book. I'll have to search one out.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid and Mary Gernat in today's Times

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Mary Mouse wrote:If you can access page 34 of the Times, or look under Enid Blyton on the website, there is an interesting colour article about the four boys who were the real-life inspiration for Mary Gernat's 1960s illustrations of Blyton books such as The secret of Killimooin.
There is already a thread on this posting, Mary Mouse. :)

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 96#p252874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)

The threads have now been merged.
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Daisy wrote:The Blue Admiral and the rest of the series by Dorothy Clewes are very good. I have read them all though do not possess any.
I have Adventure on Rainbow Island as well as that was done by Armada, but at a quick glance I can't see any others. That also has a Mary Gernat cover.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Tony. It's interesting to see the Find-Outers artwork - and to see the subtle changes to the cover of The Adventure of the Blue Admiral. I've never read anything by Dorothy Clewes but some of her book titles do sound promising.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Here's Roger's website, if anyone is interested.

http://www.theartofenidblyton.com/produ ... ton/page/5

I must admit I'm very tempted by a print of 'The Rubadub Mystery' - one of my favourite of Mary's covers. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

The Mary Gernat cover for 'The Mystery of the Strange Messages' seen in this thread is definitely that of the published edition which I read in 1967; ditto the Gernat cover illustrations seen on Roger How's website for 'The Secret Island', 'The Secret of Spiggy Holes', 'The Secret Mountain', and 'The Secret of Killimooin'. The 'Sixth Form at Malory Towers' cover with just a view of June (the girl in the red swimsuit) pushing out the boat and no view of the other girl (Amanda) by the rocks in the background was the one used for the published cover; this was an imaginary scene not sketched at an actual site as far as I can tell, as the real life site which Enid seems to have used as a basis for the MT swimming-pool (the only genuine rock-cut school bathing pool in S England , but smaller than the MT one ) does not resemble this view and has no sand.
I remember the 'Summer Term at St Clares' cover of one of the twins (Isabel ?) twisting her ankle by the tennis net from 1967/8, so this was the published version. I presume that Mary Gernat was very busy around the time that the 'Cave' record notes that the Armada books came out in 1965 - she was doing the covers for two separate series by Monica Edwards (Punchbowl Farm and Romney Marsh), some first editions and others reprints, plus other reprints of earlier pony books by Gillian Baxter and the Pullein-Thompson sisters.
The 'Enid Blyton' signature on these covers is not that used in other published books by Enid - or the 'trademarked' EB signature reissued by Hachette for their Malory Towers continuations in ?2009. I am investigating, with a possibility of using some Gernat images in my own book if this is practicable.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

timv wrote:The Mary Gernat cover for 'The Mystery of the Strange Messages' seen in this thread is definitely that of the published edition which I read in 1967;
This is not right, Tim. Repeating what I said above, everything that Roger How has is just the rough artwork and none of it is the finished artwork that was used in the published edition. Okay, the scene is the same, but I have both the rough artwork and the published paperback of 'Strange Messages' in front of me now and there are plenty of differences. The finished artwork is far more detailed particularly on things like faces, she just has the gist on the roughs.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

How journalists love to write utterly ridiculous and misleading headlines...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... ealed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Image Image

Is this the comparison to which you refer, Tony?
Society Member