Shirley Hughes

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Shirley Hughes

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Here's David Tazzyman giving an art lesson!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7QSnucjE_c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the right-hand column of related clips, I see that there are audiobooks of Mr. Gum. They're read by Kate Winslet, who also narrated audiobooks of Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm surprised Quentin Blake and the estate of Roald Dahl haven't sued for breach of copyright... Mr Gum looks and sounds astonishingly like Mr Twit. :evil:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It makes me wonder what Enid Blyton and Eileen Soper would think of these new updated covers.

I think even todays children, won't be too keep on the Camp cover!!! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

If a child of mine liked the Camp cover I would insist on an eye test pronto. :D
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'd insist on a psychiatric test. :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am not so sure that you are right here with some of the posts above. Like it or not the Famous Five books are now probably being targeted at 8 year-olds and not the age group that Enid intended who have now moved on to the likes of Alex Rider. Both Andy Stanton's Mr Gum books illustrated by David Tazzyman and Francesca Simon's Horrid Henry books illustrated by Tony Ross were best-selling series and I think that the children who were weened on these books would be delighted to see some of their favourite illustrators appearing on the covers of Famous Five books - it might even pick up new readers!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You're probably right Tony. If we love the books, we tend to like what we are first introduced to regarding illustrators. Look at the Soper v Maxey discussions we have had. I guess if other authors have book covers like this latest version, then it makes sense to the publishers to make the Fives books look similar. (I was going to say similarly appealing!) So, if the books reach a wider audience, we can only rejoice.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I grew up on Roald Dahl books with Quentin Blake illustrations - which I loved for the most part - and yet I don't like Enid Blyton books with Quentin Blake covers. :| It's just the wrong style for the kind of book. Even a child can appreciate that, surely.
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Children need educating. They must learn that they can't always have what appeals to them.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Courtenay wrote:It's just the wrong style for the kind of book.
That is exactly it. I'd agree with those illustrations for a book like Mr Gum. They look a fun and quirky interpretation of those characters... but for the Famous Five? It just doesn't seem right.

But I do agree that the books will probably attract a new audience. But I wouldn't associate the Famous Five with the Mr Gum books or the Horrid Henry books so will they attract the correct audience?...

But I suppose we should just accept that illustrations from 70 odd years ago are not always going to appeal to children, nowadays - which is understandable. And if those covers are going to bring a new audience to the Famous Five, they can only be a good thing.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
David Tazzyman

Post by David Tazzyman »

Hi,

Thank you for all your comments! 8)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome, David. I think your artwork is wonderful! :D
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Ditto. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
David Tazzyman

Post by David Tazzyman »

Moonraker wrote:Welcome, David. I think your artwork is wonderful! :D
Thank you Moonraker and Poppy. It has been my pleasure to draw a cover for one of my favourite series. 8)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I know these new covers are mostly down to personal preference (no prizes for guessing that I'm not keen on them), but what I can't understand is why a story like Five Go Off to Camp needs a cartoony cover? I don't know the Mr Gum books, but a quick Google tells me they are make believe books, however I've always felt that part of the appeal of the Famous Five books is that the children and plots are just about believable. There aren't any trips to magical lands or encounters with fairy folk in them. If I was picking up the new version of Five Go Off to Camp, and knew nothing of the story, I'd assume from the front cover that it was meant to be a jokey type story. Children with triangular shaped heads, impossibly placed eyes, and clown sized shoes aren't very believable.

I've just watched the clip of David Tazzyman at work, and found it very clever. However, I feel that style of drawing would be better suited to some of the characters found at the top of the Faraway Tree.

I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but I'd much rather look at Betty Maxey's illustrations, they were 'too modern' for my liking, but at least they look like real children. Still, as the text inside these books has been 'mucked about with', then I guess it doesn't matter what the covers look like. In my opinion, neither the covers nor the text are 'Enid Blyton' anyway, merely modern people's interpretations of a story she wrote many years ago.
Society Member