The Famous Five Illustrators Compared

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Famous Five Illustrators Compared

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote:See what your chums over at S&R say:
Eileen Soper:
It was not until 1941 that her career as a book illustrator took off when the publishers Macmillan suggested her name to Enid Blyton , firstly for a series of Nature Readers.
https://www.stellabooks.com/article/eileen-soper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do hate it when authoritative statements are made which are absolute rubbish! The Macmillan Nature Readers were published in 1945 and by this time Soper had already done quite a bit of illustrating for Enid.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Her nature and animals illustrations are superb!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
I do hate it when authoritative statements are made which are absolute rubbish! The Macmillan Nature Readers were published in 1945 and by this time Soper had already done quite a bit of illustrating for Enid.
Do you think they meant to say The Macmillan ENID BLYTON READERS 1 from 1942?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +Readers+1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:
Do you think they meant to say The Macmillan ENID BLYTON READERS 1 from 1942?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +Readers+1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well that would certainly have been correct! These books are also of interest as they were the first Enid Blyton books to have the famous signature on them.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:I don't agree about Eileen Soper's illustrations being 'artistically' or 'technically' superior to other illustrators. I think many other Famous Five artists were 'technically' and 'artistically' better. Eileen Soper was often very 'rough' with her lines in her Famous Five illustrations - often drew people with very angular faces, didn't put much detail on faces, had women with big wide square shoulders, etc etc - but her illustrations create a nostalgic feeling amongst readers who grew up with her work, and also convey that same feeling to those of us who didn't grow up with her.

I still like Eileen Soper's Famous Five work (although I think her work for other books, such as the 'Bright', 'Happy', 'Gay' story book series, was technically and artistically superior and much more accomplished than her FF work) - but I also like several others, who were just as accomplished - in fact most of the illustrators (except perhaps Jolyne Knox) up until 2010 'do it' for me in various degrees.

But I do think Eileen Soper's work for the Famous Five - especially in the later books - is often overrated - sometimes it looks rushed and unfinished, compared to her early Famous Five work, and her other illustrations for short stories.

I bet I'm shot down now!! :twisted:
I feel the same about Eileen Soper. I love her illustrations for the Nature Plates and for Enid Blyton's short stories but her work for the Famous Five books varies. Sometimes it's excellent and full of atmosphere but at other times it looks as though it was hastily dashed off.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I know we've discussed these covers before, but I had a closer look at this one today, when I saw it on eBay -

In my view, this is a great example of why I dislike the modern covers. First, they don't really portray anything - no scene from the book - certainly no excitement. 'Five Go Off In A Caravan' is one of the most picturesque and most exciting adventures of The Famous Five, with the long lazy caravan journey, the fierce villains, the under-ground adventures, but none of this is shown or even hinted at, on the cover.

Then you have the terrible depictions of the characters - sub-human. But that's just my own opinion.

Then you have a glimpse of circus tents between the hills - but in this book the circus tent is packed away - its not erected - because the circus isn't open - so why depict it on the cover?

Last but not least - Pongo seems to be being depicted as some kind of small monkey that can cling to someone's head. Pongo is a chimpanzee - much bigger than the strange creation the illustrator has depicted.

Are these covers seriously the best the publishers could come up with?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Not to mention the way the Five are standing in those positions, it looks like they've been snapped in the middle of a song-and-dance routine... :shock: :roll: :P

("And up in the nursery an absurd little bird / Is popping out to say cuckoo..." "Cuck-oo! Cuck-oo!")
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Nigel D
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Nigel D »

Rob Houghton wrote:I know we've discussed these covers before, but I had a closer look at this one today, when I saw it on eBay -

In my view, this is a great example of why I dislike the modern covers. First, they don't really portray anything - no scene from the book - certainly no excitement. 'Five Go Off In A Caravan' is one of the most picturesque and most exciting adventures of The Famous Five, with the long lazy caravan journey, the fierce villains, the under-ground adventures, but none of this is shown or even hinted at, on the cover.

Then you have the terrible depictions of the characters - sub-human. But that's just my own opinion.

Then you have a glimpse of circus tents between the hills - but in this book the circus tent is packed away - its not erected - because the circus isn't open - so why depict it on the cover?

Last but not least - Pongo seems to be being depicted as some kind of small monkey that can cling to someone's head. Pongo is a chimpanzee - much bigger than the strange creation the illustrator has depicted.

Are these covers seriously the best the publishers could come up with?
Those modern covers make my eyes bleed
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I feel the same about Eileen Soper. I love her illustrations for the Nature Plates and for Enid Blyton's short stories but her work for the Famous Five books varies. Sometimes it's excellent and full of atmosphere but at other times it looks as though it was hastily dashed off.
Sheer blasphemy; pure and simple!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I must say that I’m in total agreement with Nigel.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Sometimes Eileen Soper's drawings of hands left a lot to be desired! Look at Anne's hand in this shot!

and George's - both from Five On Kirrin Island Again -

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Well spotted Rob. I must check out Betty's handiwork now! :D :wink:

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Where Soper wins over Maxey is in having more of a picture - I mean there is usually some background rather than just a pencil drawing, often with disappearing edges. :?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

this is true - although I think Pete does have examples where Maxey filled in the whole background...she just didn't do it very often! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Another 1974 Maxey illustration:

Society Member