Your Favourite Blyton Illustrators

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

My favourite is Ernest Aris -if he was good enough to be commissioned to illustrate for Beatrix Potter then the guy has some style. He drew specifically with childen in mind and saw the story as something to hang around the pictures !
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I like Ernest arris too, but surely he didn't ever illustrate for Beatrix Potter? I always thought she only every used her own illustrations - after all, her prose wasn't exactly her strength. Her illustrations were the things that made her famous and sold her millions of books.

What stories did he illustrate for Beatrix Potter?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

You will find the following quote on the web site for the Victoria and Albert Museum

Ernest Aris: Beatrix Potter's 'Second String' (20 September 2004 - 10 January 2005)

In 1916 Beatrix Potter commissioned a well-known book illustrator, Ernest Aris, to execute her designs for an illustrated story, The Oakmen.

You will find much more about Beatrix and Ernest by following the Beatrix Potter link on http://www.Cococubs.Com

Jonathan
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Hello!

Post by Oscar Spain »

Hello, my fave ilustrator is Jose Correas (spanish version), simple wonderful.
In a pair of days I post some images!
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
puffin62

Re: Favourite Illustrator

Post by puffin62 »

Hi all.
Mine has definitely to be Stuart Tresilian. He simply gives a very dramatic ambiance to his drawings along with a real epoch feeling, if you know what I mean.
I can't imagine Adventure series without Tresilian. All seems so actually live... Think about books covers, for instance: the Island of Gloom is almost palpable, puffins' cries audible, river sprays moistens us all, strange colourful fumes flee from Welsh mountains frightening us...
Cheers
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

puffin62 wrote: Mine has definitely to be Stuart Tresilian. He simply gives a very dramatic ambiance to his drawings along with a real epoch feeling, if you know what I mean.
I totally agree, puffin62! 8)

If you read David Cook's excellent article on The Ship of Adventure in the new Enid Blyton Society Journal, he adds a comment on Tresilian's illustrative genius.

Incidentally, another fantastic Journal. Thanks and congratulations to Tony and contributors! A great reason for subscribing to the Society!

Also, thanks to whoever for reducing the size of my massive avatar! I couldn't fathom out how to do it! :oops:
Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

moonraker wrote:Also, thanks to whoever for reducing the size of my massive avatar! I couldn't fathom out how to do it! :oops:
You're welcome. :D
Raci

Post by Raci »

I guess I don't have one particular favourite overall.
However I have a favourite for each series which generally is the illustrator of the copy of each book that I grew up with.

There's no question for me, it has to be Eileen Soper for the famous five and Stuart Tresilian for the adventure series.

It's the same many times over. I recently bought a HB copy (Dean) of The Land of Far-Beyond to replace a PB that was my childhood copy and very well worn. But there were new illustrations and about half the number and it just felt wrong. The text didn't seem changed but I've already sold it and bought a replacement PB the same as my original.

I don't know the names of many of the other illustrators but I definatly feel the pictures I grew up seeing while I was reading will always be a 'part of the story' for me.
Moonface

Post by Moonface »

It's George Brook for me !
Moonface
noddy13

Paul kaye

Post by noddy13 »

I know this is all about illustrators, but can I be permitted to pay tribute to Paul Kaye, whose photographs have lit up the Laughing Kitten and Mischief Again..?. Ive been fortunate enough to pick up early/first editions of these.. and a first edition of Lets have a party, and I think some of the black and white pix are absolutely priceless. For those who have read these books, and have seen Tinker and Floppy with each other.. you will know what I mean. These are some great Enid Books!

Also I happen to have a strip book 1958 on Mary Mouse Goes to the Fair.. any one have any more of these books.?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I quite agree noddy 13. Paul Kaye's photos are brilliant. Quite how he got the animals to 'pose' for them so wonderfully is a mystery. I guess people nowadays would suggest it was cruel - but I think they're fantastic.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Vic Nicholas
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Vic Nicholas »

Treyer Evans
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Its got to be Stuart Tresillian for me. His illustrations are fantastic, for me they represent the world Blyton wrote about brilliantly. I can stare at them for ages. Its a real shame to hear that they have been dropped from the latest editions of the Adventure series. :cry:
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

favourite illustrator

Post by gareth jones »

For me its got to be Stuart Tresillian they,re the ones i was brought up with and are works of art on their own.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Eileen Soper is my favourite. I also liked the book covers of the 1970s Armada FFO books.

The only illustrator I didn't like was Stuart Tresillian. There always seemed to be too many lines (is the best way I can put it).