Enid Blyton Society Publications

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton Society Publications

Post by Eddie Muir »

Mary and Her Toys looks great and I shall certainly be buying a copy, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have just added Mary and Her Toys, which I featured in Journal 53, to the Cave.

http://enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book-det ... d+Her+Toys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the third batch of Sunny Stories for Little Folks booklets failed to sell enough copies to break even, I decided it would be best to take a break for a while before I published any more. However, I spent most of yesterday putting one more booklet together and I will be publishing this when the next Journal comes out - Mary and Her Toys. As it has ten colour plates it will be a little more expensive than usual, but as always I will try and sell it as cheaply as I can. I used four of these Phyllis Chase colour plates in the March Journal, but there are a further six that nobody has yet seen and of course the story itself.
An interesting-looking booklet, Tony. Like Kate Mary, I'm sorry to hear that the third batch of Sunny Stories for Little Folks booklets didn't sell well. They're wonderful tales with beautiful illustrations and it would be extremely difficult (not to mention prohibitively expensive!) to track down and buy original copies of these rare items.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

What a shame the booklets aren't selling very well. I'm pretty certain I've got all that are available so far, and have really enjoyed the opportunity of owning these stories. I doubt I'd have been able to get original copies. I shall certainly be ordering a copy of the new one.
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

The Sunny Stories for Little Folks are lovely little booklets, and I would have thought, a must for anybody who likes Enid's short stories.

I will order Mary and her Toys too, and I'm planning to buy the Merry Moments set at some point in the next few months and get hubby to give them to me for Christmas.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
The Teachers World 1922 – Friday Afternoon Stories (May 2002)
http://share.pho.to/84Hh3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just bought this on ebay for £2.20.
I searched the cave first but I think I'm correct in saying it is out of stock/sold out?

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

It's just arrived in beautiful,pristine condition.

It must be the oldest of Enid's work (originally published in 'Teachers World 1922') that I own..albeit reprinted.
I think it goes back even earlier than The Wonderful Adventure!

http://share.pho.to/84Hh3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

A good find Pete, I sold out of this booklet at least ten years ago! At the time I published it I did think that it contained some of the earliest stories written by Enid, but since then all the Merry Moments stories have come to light.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes Tony,I'm very pleased with it.It's in pristine condition.
I've just read the first story Peronel and his Pot of Glue and really enjoyed it.

I must admit Enid's older work and Fairy Story type stuff - if you don't mind the expression is my least read of all her work.
Yet every time I read these really old stories (allegedly designed for much younger children) I always enjoy them.
In Peronel and his Pot of Glue Enid manages to weave magic,mischief and a nature lesson all into one yarn.
In 1921 she met Hugh Pollock, a book editor, and her literary life ticked by until early 1922 when a teaching magazine published one of the many stories "Peronel and his Pot of Glue" which was specifically a children's story. During the summer she had a book of poems called "Child Whispers" published. This was going to be the beginning of a serious writing career.
Spurred on by this good fortune she wrote more, but mainly for magazines. More books were to appear in the twenties.
http://www.isleofpurbeck.com/blyton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you read Peronel and his Pot of Glue yet?

It's in the cave if you would like to read it and see what you think of Enid's very early work...

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... he&perid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for making this available Tony.Most enjoyable.

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

An excellent find, Pete! It looks a very interesting and enjoyable Publication: the artwork by Phyllis Chase looks lovely.
pete9012S wrote:I must admit Enid's older work and Fairy Story type stuff - if you don't mind the expression is my least read of all her work.
I have only read a selected amount of Enid's short stories (though I do have many Award editions) and I think my favourites are the ones which I have got in 'Society Publication form', because of the wonderful original art work, and originality of the actual text. Some of Enid's later short stories seem to be along the same lines (which isn't surprising judging by the quantity of the short stories!) but these earlier ones always strike me as unique.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, so that's how the glue got on the chestnut buds in the first place, so that some time later good old Pip could take some to mend his Aunt Twinkle's sugar bowl! :D I do love Enid's nature stories and the imaginative and delightful ways she weaves facts about the natural world into charming and memorable little episodes.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The only thing I have noticed is that Peronel is referred to as 'he' in the story.
A few years later in Enid Blyton's Book of Brownies, Princess Peronel appears.(any connection between the two - or just same name different character??)

It seems though,officially at least that Peronel is always a girls name??

http://www.behindthename.com/name/peronel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps the normal rules of gender don't strictly apply to fairies?? :D

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Congratulations, Pete. I was contemplating whether to bid or not that booklet but I decided against it because all the stories are stored in the Cave. :D

Obviously you are at home now after a long holiday. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Well if he's moved to Blyton Close then he's home, but I rather doubt his travels have been other than hypothetical. :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Daisy, I wish our five hour car journey from Carmarthenshire back to Lancashire was hypothetical!
Numb bum wasn't in it!! :shock:

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You have my sympathy. That seems a long time for that journey, but the weather wasn't the best recently for travelling. I hope your posterior has now recovered.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member