Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Tony Summerfield

Re: Website Additions

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, it is in the right place, Nigel, but you may be the only person who has noticed it although I did put it on the updates page. We actually have 244 book reviews in the Cave, but they don't often get any comments, whilst reviews on other websites get glowing comments - a bit frustrating! :roll:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe we need a 5-star rating addition!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Probably because on other websites you can leave a comment directly on a review? Rather than having to navigate away from a review and find a thread of a forum to mention it in.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I have made one particular comment on the reviews more than once in forum discussions - most of them are more plot summaries than reviews and they contain far too many spoilers! :evil:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Having written one or two 'reviews', some of which appear on this website, I have to say it's pretty difficult to write about a book without summing up the plot, although I always TRY to not include 'spoilers' - but it's difficult to say what a 'spoiler' is in my opinion...for example, the fact that the children run away and live on 'The Secret Island' could be considered a spoiler if someone hasn't read that book, or in my review of 'The Very Big Secret' on this site, it was hard not to reveal that 'the very big secret' was a baby the children find in the woods - it would have been impossible to review the book without disclosing that fact.

I always try to put some of my own thoughts and feelings into the reviews I write rather than just summarising the plot...but I know some people probably don't like to read that sort of thing either. It's difficult to strike the right balance. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have a problem here as there is really only one person who writes reviews specially for this website and his latest is the 140th that he has written. So rather than leave gaps I have had to take a number of reviews from the Journal and perhaps it would be best I deleted all these and just left it to Terry to provide reviews of the missing books if and when he can.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I guess we all have our preferences. I actually enjoy reading the reviews on here that first appeared in The Journal! I was reading Nigel's review of Hollow Tree House the other day, and I enjoyed it immensely. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It was Nigel's excellent review of Hollow Tree House that prompted me to search for a copy a year or two back. When I found a copy, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I also never personally worry about 'spoilers' but that's probably because I've read each book at least once, most of them at least twice and quite a few three or four or more times! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

I've read quite a few of the reviews in the cave, mainly of books I've already read as I'm always interested to hear other people's opinions about my favourite works. I do get Courtenay's problem with spoilers though. Some of the reviewers do take care to avoid giving to much away, but I've read Robert Houghton's review of "The Very Big Secret" and agree that it would have been difficult to discuss the book properly without giving away the plot.

Tony, if you would like more people to review books maybe you could let us know how to submit a review and give us an idea of what you would want reviewed. I'd certainly like to have a bash at reviewing one or two of the books, but most of the ones I'd like to have a go at already have reviews. Would you be happy with multiple reviews of the same book?
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

With something like The Very Big Secret, I do agree it's necessary to give away the fact that the children find a baby, as that is the whole point of the story - and of course it would be odd not to explain how the island comes into a book called The Secret Island! :lol:

What I'm more concerned about with spoilers is the giving away of how a story ends, or of plot twists where surprise is an important part of the effect on the first-time reader. The worst examples, frankly, are the number of reviews of the Find-Outers books that give away who dunnit!! :roll: The Cave isn't only visited by die-hard collectors and fanatics who've read nearly everything Enid wrote and just want to refresh their memories or revisit old favourites - it's also an invaluable resource for people like me who are still unfamiliar with a lot of Enid's work and would like an idea of which books might be good to seek out and read next. But with all the spoilers and near-complete plot summaries, I'm wary of reading any of those reviews too thoroughly in case they ruin the book for me by telling me too much of what happens and how it ends.
Last edited by Courtenay on 30 Jan 2015, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree with that. As I wrote many of them, I realise now that these give away a lot of plot points and reveal who dun it - they were my very first reviews back in the early 2000's and I didn't think about the pros and cons of revealing the outcomes at the time. :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Robert Houghton wrote:I also never personally worry about 'spoilers' but that's probably because I've read each book at least once, most of them at least twice and quite a few three or four or more times! :lol:
This is one of those situations where a dreadful memory for names and places is actually an advantage. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Jack400 wrote:This is one of those situations where a dreadful memory for names and places is actually an advantage. :D
I agree. My problem is that I usually remember the rough plot of a book I've read even years after, including who the villain is! :(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I agree it's difficult to strike the right balance sometimes. Often various points you really want to make have to be left out if you don't want to give away something crucial.

For example I always get teary when Jack goes to the hotel and talks to Mr and Mrs Arnold at the end of The Secret Island. That rather gives away the ending, though, if I mention it!

PS. I'm very much one of those "can't remember a darned thing" people, which can be a blessing. In fact, on rereading some stories I'VE written (within the past year or two) I often find myself surprised by what I'm reading :oops:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member