Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Website Additions

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks Tony those are wonderful. I particularly liked Round The Year Stories, very colourful and magical with it's princess and elves. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Wow, those are lovely, Tony! Thanks for all your work.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Yes, many thanks, Tony. It's a pleasure to be able to see the back covers which are stunning.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Those look excellent Tony! Thanks very much for all your work, putting them in the Cave of Books. I love the Friends of the Countryside artwork, in particular. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Don't know what just happened, I thought I posted to say that I was interested to see the covers, but that they didn't really appeal to me. Don't know if I didn't hit the submit button, or maybe the system deleted me because I was being uncomplimentary? :wink:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I don't think that the website discriminates in that way, Katharine! :lol: Sometimes this happens to me and it is because I press preview rather than submit.

Just a reminder that All About the Circus is a Galliano story that can't be found anywhere else.

You can see on the updates page that I also added a review of Tales About Toys by the ever industrious Terry Gustafson this morning.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

No I didn't think it did Tony, and I'll have to blame human error (me). :D

I haven't read the review of Tales About Toysas I don't want to know the stories before I read them. It looks a lovely little book, and one I'll definitely try and get my hands on some day.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

What nice additions. I love the colour Circus and Zoo books. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely to see the full covers of these books - they look very bright and cheerful. Thanks, Tony!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great additions. Thanks, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

They look great, Tony! I love these covers. I bought the Robin Hood one at an EB Day, but I'm unlikely to find the others at a reasonable price, I'm sure!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good to take a look at these covers, but like Katharine, I'm not a massive fan. However, it was incredible what a shilling would get you in 1954!

I enjoyed reading Terry's latest review, as always his reviews are always entertaining. Not too sure about book #2, though...
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: Not too sure about book #2, though...
Neither am I, Nigel, don't worry. Pink just isn't my colour!! :wink:

I think Friends of the Countryside is my favourite out of the covers.

Looking at A Visit to the Zoo, it's nice to see a picture of an "open plan" zoo (rather than cages) as far back as 1954, but what's stopping those lions from hopping over the low barrier and making lunch of a few of the other animals... or children?! :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Nice to see the full covers of these books as I've never seen them 'in the flesh'. The review of Tales About Toys was interesting, I've never come across that either.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On March 20th 2015, Katharine wrote:

... I don't want to know the stories before I read them ... I'll definitely try and get my hands on (Tales About Toys) some day ...

Nowadays there should be no worries at all about EB plots being exposed prior to the books being read because a new Cave-procedure has been instituted. What are known as 'blurbs' have been placed at the top of many reviews and they give the searcher only a very brief synopsis of what's inside the actual book. However there's one slight problem - when the blurb is read and the page is about to be closed there's a possibility one's eyes could slip down to take in the first line of the review proper. One may not be able to stop!

This is a psychological manifestation of the 'Must Read Just A Little Further' syndrome and it was well illustrated in a newsletter that came out many years ago. The editor finished her report about marching teams or perhaps the local softball club she'd been writing about and as there was still half a page left to fill, a little innovation was called for. Can't remember exactly what she put in, but my own version is pretty representative -

"DO NOT READ BELOW THIS LINE" appeared just above a typed break, and then below was printed:

'Why are you still reading? I've written 'Do Not Read Below This Line,' yet you're still carrying on. The request couldn't be more succinct could it, and you can't say my noticeable notice wasn't noticed can you, so I fail to understand why you're still reading. There's nothing at all of substance to follow because I'm just writing anything I can think of in order to complete the page and that’s why I put 'Do Not Read Below This Line.' I didn't want to waste your time.

Stop NOW!

Look at that! Despite my insistence, you just couldn’t help flicking your eyes downwards to read this sentence could you? The instruction was NOT to continue yet you still keep on going. What's the matter? Can't you read? Well, of course you can otherwise you wouldn't have reached this far; look I'll put some nonsense in so you can see there's definitely no point in continuing, although it would be eminently more sensible to simply cease right now.

Whykickamoocow, Whykickamoocow, Whykickamoocow. Abbledy, Abbledy, Abbledy, Abbledy (courtesy of Mr. Goon), Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah ... I sailed to the moon in western skies ... Cha, Cha, Cha, Cha, Cha, Cha.

Still going?

All right -

"Harry old chap, did you hear the one about the idiot who said "No?"

"No!"

Answer this question in eight seconds - ONLY eight seconds (time yourself) -

Q: What's twice the half of one and a half?

Well?

Did you manage it?

Of course not, and now it's back to the boredom, boredom, boredom ... nothing else. Could you please STOP reading this right NOW, as in NOW!

I cannot believe it; you're still taking in this interminable nonsense. Is it addictive? Are you afraid something might be missed? There's nothing else ... nothing at all, just blather blather blather and more blather. Sorry, I don't want to label you a bonehead or anything but well, if the description fits ...

OK, I'm now throwing my hands in the air.

Over and Out.

Of course there's always the thought that if inspecting a review is the same as reading the actual story, you could look at it this way - most of us have read our Blytons more than once despite having full knowledge of the outcome so why read them again? Some people have perused their collections many times therefore it looks as if the re-reading of a book is a very pleasurable act and won't in any way be spoilt by a review that, in most cases, doesn't reveal all that much. A summary of the contents certainly can't duplicate Enid Blyton's technique for painting various scenarios with words, and isn't that what it's all about? Appreciation! That's the word; but who knows, some people might insist on beginning a book with absolutely no foreknowledge whatsoever of the story content.

If you're adamant about waiting until 'Tales About Toys' is purchased then I can only admire your strength of character. However, this particular booklet isn't around all that much in these modern times so the years may pass with no satisfaction gained, either through auction sites or second-hand outlets, until one afternoon when a small girl arrives home from school.

"Mummy (sorry - 'Grandma'), guess what I saw in the Sallies' shop window?"

"What dear?"

"Tales About Toys,"

"Well Glory Be, I've craved that book for more years than I can remember and now at last I can discover what it's all about. (NB: The phrase "Glory Be" is actually printed in the review).

Now isn’t that intriguing?

"One, two, three - stand!"

Up you get, and Alicia (the granddaughter's name?) will pull the walker into position and then it's just a small shuffle to the door and down the street to claim your prize for, well let me think now ... it'll be a very old book so how about £60. Doesn't matter though because at last you'll have one of the series you've been after for such a length of time.

Splendid.

Of course you could always have a little peek at the contents right now, taking into mind the aforesaid. Your self-discipline should hold up and ensure that you read 'only' the blurb - no peeping down at the first line of whatever's below. Yes, the required item is there waiting, and the Cave is so wonderful you'll only need to print 'ta' in the search box. That's all, and a healthy list of titles will immediately come into view including 'Tales About Toys,' but as there are so many it would pay to put in the full name. Make sure you don't get mixed up with Evans Bros' Tales of the Toys (Little Book No.5) - but of course, that's only if you decide to take a quick look.

Meanwhile the book will remain there in the Cave ... waiting ...

... just waiting!