Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Website Additions

Post by Fiona1986 »

And just to raise a point - there are very rare cases where boy/girl twins have come from a single egg and are actually then identical twins. https://www.reference.com/science/can-b ... b6ec0408c1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twins from one egg are monozygotic but most people use the easier term identicalwhich can me misleading as there are plenty of 'identical' twins that you can tell apart. They started out with the same (or indeed identical) genetic blueprint but along the way as they've grown and developed before birth little mistakes can creep in, or they don't develop on the same schedule. Here's an article from a mum of identical but not identical twin girls: http://hdydi.com/2013/09/11/why-dont-id ... ook-alike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fascinating, Fiona. I'd heard about cases like that before but those articles are very interesting and explain things well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Another whole book joins the fold! Our Eileen has worked overtime on this as there is an illustration on all 40 pages!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ng+Caravan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, you're hard at work, Tony! :D Thank you again.

By the way, I noticed this with the "Nursery Rhyme Land" book too — does anyone know why, in these books, there are so many sentences printed in italics? I'm guessing it's because those sentences are meant to also be the captions for the illustrations, so to speak, but it seems an odd way of indicating it in the midst of the text.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Another whole book joins the fold! Our Eileen has worked overtime on this as there is an illustration on all 40 pages!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ng+Caravan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brilliant, Tony. Many thanks. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:Gosh, you're hard at work, Tony! :D Thank you again.

By the way, I noticed this with the "Nursery Rhyme Land" book too — does anyone know why, in these books, there are so many sentences printed in italics? I'm guessing it's because those sentences are meant to also be the captions for the illustrations, so to speak, but it seems an odd way of indicating it in the midst of the text.
Interesting observation! it would be really useful if you were reading the book aloud, as this would be when you could turn the book around and show the 'audience' the illustration! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

The goodies are coming thick and fast at the moment. Many thanks, it looks a super little book.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Tony. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Kate Mary wrote:The goodies are coming thick and fast at the moment.
You don't mean... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HknzZr0uiOs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shock:

(couldn't resist, sorry :mrgreen: :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another super little book. Susan reminds me of Anne from the Famous Five as she tidies up while the boys have a nap. Lovely illustrations. Thanks, Tony.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Courtenay wrote:...does anyone know why, in these books, there are so many sentences printed in italics? I'm guessing it's because those sentences are meant to also be the captions for the illustrations, so to speak, but it seems an odd way of indicating it in the midst of the text.
Interesting observation! it would be really useful if you were reading the book aloud, as this would be when you could turn the book around and show the 'audience' the illustration! :-D
Good thinking, Rob! I expect that's why those sentences have been printed like that.

I like The Surprising Caravan very much. It's reminiscent of the Faraway Tree and Wishing-Chair books but with everything speeded up and aimed at younger children. The caravan is a bit like Mr. Tumpy's. Only trouble is, I've been left with a craving for a peppermint gate-knob! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wonderful additions, thanks Tony. I only hope I can find them again when I want to read them to my grandson...
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I find it odd that Daily Mail Annual For Boys and Girls (1944) is in One-Off Annuals category while the other Daily Mails Annual For Boys and Girls (1946, 1947, 1949, 1950, and so on) are in Daily Mail Annual For Boys and Girls category. :?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... %281944%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ailannuals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is deliberate and not an error. You may not have noticed that that annual was actually edited by Enid Blyton, but she simply contributed to all the others and that is why they are listed in the Contribution section.
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Tony.