Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Website Additions

Post by Kate Mary »

The Magical Treasury looks like an interesting book, I'll keep a look out for it when it's published. Is it the one that Mary Cadogan was editing just before she died and which was mentioned in the Journal before last?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Kate Mary wrote:The Magical Treasury looks like an interesting book, I'll keep a look out for it when it's published. Is it the one that Mary Cadogan was editing just before she died and which was mentioned in the Journal before last?
Yes, it is the book that Mary Cadogan and Norman Wright were putting together (as with the other two Treasury titles in the Hodder series) but I believe that the original contents may have been altered a bit. I only know about the contents as I was asked to check the acknowledgements page about 3 months ago.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Here's another short story book for you to look out for - a chunky hardback this time and it comes out in October. Finding the original source of all the stories takes a while! :roll:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... l+Treasury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also really like the cover for this book - it's very atmospheric and mysterious! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I like the sound of the new book. Just wish the cover could have been drawn in a similar to the other two books in the series. I like consistency.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, the front cover is lovely, and very magical. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Very interesting. It is worth noting that The Dog Went to Fairlyland hasn't been changed to Wonderland. However, I note there is now no Fanny in Fairlyland.
I feel that you re trying to imply that this is a modern pc decision to change the title of 'Fanny in Fairyland', Nigel, but it was actually changed to 'The Search for Giant Osta' when it originally appeared in book form in The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies which was published in 1924, 91 years ago!
I didn't realise that, as there was no date alongside the original title. That is incredible. And we thought updates and title changes were relatively new!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Katharine wrote:I like the sound of the new book. Just wish the cover could have been drawn in a similar to the other two books in the series. I like consistency.
Completely agree. It's a nice cover, for just another collection of Enid Blyton short stories, but the other two volumes were somehow special because they contained all the original illustrations (or some of them) and seemed to be produced more for the collector as well as the child reader. This new Treasury just looks like an everyday type of story collection. I'm presuming there are no illustrations by the original illustrators.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Moonraker wrote:I didn't realise that, as there was no date alongside the original title. That is incredible. And we thought updates and title changes were relatively new!
You had me worried there for a second, but I did put the date of the original title, Oct 23 1922, so it got changed two years later in 1924. Enid did actually change a number of titles herself, probably if she thought that two of the titles were too similar when she was putting together an anthology. There are also a number of occasions when she has used the same title for two or more different stories, 'In the Middle of the Night' was a favourite! In both of those books I had to ask for the first lines of some of the stories to make sure that the right one was being listed in the acknowledgements.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I didn't realise that, as there was no date alongside the original title. That is incredible. And we thought updates and title changes were relatively new!
You had me worried there for a second, but I did put the date of the original title, Oct 23 1922, so it got changed two years later in 1924.
Touché!

Yes, you had the original date as quoted, but how was I to know when the title was changed (without a search party to the Cave!)?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Following up on discussion on another thread I have added the Australian Faraway Tree CDs read by Kate Winslet to the Cave. As was mentioned two of them weren't released as cassettes in the UK.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... sfarawaycd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Enid has lost her Christian name on the covers of these CDs. It doesn't look right somehow.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I heartily agree! That's the first time I've ever seen just 'Blyton's' on a book/CD. It looks odd.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Also, the way it's placed in relation to the title of the first one, it looks like it reads "The Blyton's Enchanted Wood"! :P Good on the ABC for releasing them in Australia, anyway. Funny to think they might be more popular there than in Britain!

(I'm only just now realising that my mental image of the Faraway Tree as a child was something like an even bigger version of the huge Tasmanian Bluegum in Grandma and Grandpa's front yard... :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for adding these, Tony! It's great to see this artwork and some information about them. One thing I noticed was that they are very long. For instance The Folk of the Faraway Tree is more than five hours!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Despite their length I was interested to see that they all say 'abridged' as I don't think they are as I believe Kate Winslet read the whole book in each case. They are certainly the updated versions with the changed names as we saw a video of Kate Winslet in action at an Enid Blyton Day.

ABC/Bolinda Audio have also produced a couple of Brer Rabbit Books which I shall add at some stage soon.