Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Website Additions

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote: I have to say I'm not convinced that these cartoon drawings are being used because children prefer them! That's very easy to say, but I'm sure the artists who produce this kind of work are also cheaper to commission work from! You only have to look at the illustrations Courtenay has given links for and compare them to any of the modern Blyton covers to see which versions would take the most effort to draw and paint! The cartoon illustrators definitely have their place, but the publishers seem to be hinting that Enid's books aren't worthy of the better illustrators.
Good point, Rob. I enjoy many of the cartoon-style illustrators in books that suit that style, but I know the books I enjoyed most as a child were the ones with beautiful artwork — and I don't mean always "photo realistic" styles, but ones where the artist had clearly put a huge amount of work (and love, one assumes) into creating the pictures and was really striving to catch the spirit of the story, whether it was funny, exciting, moving, a bit spooky, or any mix of the above. Having illustrations of that quality is essentially a way of saying this story is special — it deserves to be illustrated, even if only on the cover, in a way that captures young readers' imagination and draws them in.

Despite the old saying, people DO judge a book by its cover, and publishers know that very well. So if they're commissioning illustrations that are quite simplistic and probably fairly quick to prepare, they're essentially saying these books are just cheap fodder for kids, not something that's going to be treasured and read again and again. Do any of us long-standing fans think of Enid's books like that? :|
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think it's definitely the case that the publishers are attempting to depict Enid's stories as cheap and cheerful fodder rather than important 'classic' stuff.

This is seen by the cover illustration for 'The Land of Far Beyond' -- why haven't they illustrated this one like the faraway tree cover? If children really liked the cartoony covers over all the more serious covers, then why have they broken the mould with Land of Far Beyond? Don't they want LofFB to be popular with children? Maybe they only want LofFB to appeal to adults who are more discerning, just in case people might notice that Enid wrote something of more depth occasionally?

I'm relly looking forward to seeing The L of FB internal illustrations. The cover looks similar in style to the previous two main illustrators of this book, so that at least looks more promising! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think it is aimed more at adults and older children, what you can't see from the illustration is that it is actually a hardback.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote: I'm relly looking forward to seeing The L of FB internal illustrations. The cover looks similar in style to the previous two main illustrators of this book, so that at least looks more promising! :D
Yes, I'd love to see the new internal illustrations join Horace Knowles' and Pauline Baynes' in the Cave... hint hint, Tony?? :D :wink: (When or if you have the time, of course.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I think it is aimed more at adults and older children, what you can't see from the illustration is that it is actually a hardback.
I thought it was a hardback - which is great! It's one of ENid's books that consistently fetches high prices on eBay - not thousands, but most copies will go for £40 - £100 whatever the condition. I was lucky to get my Horace Knowles version with dust wrapper for only £!2 - which I thought was a LOT at the time. I will definitely consider this latest version - even though I still haven't read it yet! :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Incidentally, I quite like the basic idea of this cover — the unusual colouring, the sense of excitement and magic with the Faraway Tree lit by Chinese lanterns (though I don't recall that ever happening in the book!). But why oh why — for a start — does Moon-Face have an unsightly tumour where his nose should be?? :shock:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree the colours are good. It's not my favourite ever depiction of the Faraway Tree - but it does suit the more comical whimsical story this is, so it's more acceptable. 8)

I think there is a scene where the tree is decked out with lanterns etc - might be because it's Bessie's birthday or something?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Could be. I haven't read the book for more than two decades! :lol: And I certainly don't mind a "less realistic" style of illustration for Enid's books that are aimed at very young readers — much better for the Faraway Tree than, say, the Famous Five or Secret Seven. Even so, if you look in the Cave, almost all of the various cover illustrators for the Faraway Tree books have given the books a lovely "classic" look (in many different styles), even up until just a few years ago. It seems to be only recently that the cartoony look has become the fashion.

Well, perhaps in a few years' time they'll revert to something more traditional! :wink: I shouldn't go on like it's the end of the world — tastes do change. I wish more that they'd revert to the children's original names, anyway, regardless of the cover designs. :P
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think I wouldn't moan so much if the covers alternated between cartoony style and more luxurious illustrations - but it seems they never do. Seems that the last time The Faraway Tree had worthy illustrations was when Georgina Hargreaves illustrated the 'deluxe' editions back in the early 1980's!

Anyway - all this moaning is only possible because Tony does such a great job of updating The Cave! Thanks for all your hard work regards this, Tony - it's very much appreciated, even if I have a moan! :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote:I think I wouldn't moan so much if the covers alternated between cartoony style and more luxurious illustrations - but it seems they never do. Seems that the last time The Faraway Tree had worthy illustrations was when Georgina Hargreaves illustrated the 'deluxe' editions back in the early 1980's!
I dunno about that — if you look at the post-Hargreaves covers in the Cave, there are some cartoony ones (like the 1997 Mammoth editions), but also a number of "more luxurious" ones. On the other hand, I don't know what any of the more modern internal illustrations look like, so I can't judge those! :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Okay - I take that back, lol! These were pretty good -

It's quite telling that Rene Cloke's illustrations keep making a come-back! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Even this one, though it's not my favourite by a long shot, isn't completely outlandish:

I don't much like the covers for The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tree in that particular edition, mind you. But I'm sure there were people who did! :wink: Come to that, I never really liked the quite garish colours of the Dean edition covers that I grew up with:

Image Image Image

They're nice and familiar, of course, but I really wouldn't want them on my shelves today.
Robert Houghton wrote: It's quite telling that Rene Cloke's illustrations keep making a come-back! 8)
I noticed that! :lol: I grew up with them and love them too, though ever since I discovered Dorothy Wheeler's, I've preferred them in some ways. A set of early editions with dust jackets in decent condition would be very welcome, but I suspect they'd set me back more than I can afford just now!! :wink:
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:I will always refuse to believe that children would only buy books with these covers - it's like saying everyone prefers to buy The Sun rather than The Times. :lol:
I think sales figures show that they do!
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:I will always refuse to believe that children would only buy books with these covers - it's like saying everyone prefers to buy The Sun rather than The Times. :lol:
Of course - you mean The Sun rather than The Times! What I really meant was that saying children prefer cartoony scrawled covers is like saying all adults prefer The Sun.

The thing with cover pictures is that a child doesn't come out of the womb saying 'I like that cover design!@ - an adult has to indoctrinate the child with what is 'good' and what is 'bad' by exposing them to certain types of artwork. That's why some people like classical music, some rap, some pop, some musicals. Almost all of my likes and dislikes were formed as a child and mostly due to parental influences - so I'm sure if more children were exposed to the old fashioned covers, more children would like them. :-)

Anyway...! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Of course - you mean The Sun rather than The Times!
Swatisaid! :wink:
Society Member