Hard Times

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Hard Times

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Seeing as the men are mentioning the price of hair cuts, then I may as well mention that most women's hair dressers can cost a small fortune. Every time I have my hair cut and blown it's £30. I'd hate to think of the cost if I ask for a colour to cover up the grey. It's cheaper rinsing your hair in tea, that keeps the grey at bay!!!!!

Back on topic now. :lol: I still think the Journal is well worth an increase.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Only on these wonderful forums could a thread about society membership turn into a discussion of hairdressing prices and male hair loss/greyness. I love it. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I think Tony's main concern is a reducing membership number, not the price of the Journal. A direct debit may provide a solution - maybe a slight price reduction for people signing up for that. We must keep more of our current members as well as attracting new members. I subscribe to a few organisations by DD, if I didn't, my membership would relapse. As far as the Society is concerned, the moment I receive my renewal form, I act immediately and use PayPal to rejoin. Why put it off?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Seeing as the men are mentioning the price of hair cuts, then I may as well mention that most women's hair dressers can cost a small fortune. Every time I have my hair cut and blown it's £30. I'd hate to think of the cost if I ask for a colour to cover up the grey. It's cheaper rinsing your hair in tea, that keeps the grey at bay!!!!!

8)
I only drink green tea, would that still work? :?
Lucky Star wrote:Only on these wonderful forums could a thread about society membership turn into a discussion of hairdressing prices and male hair loss/greyness. I love it. :D
:D :D :D
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just bringing this thread up to date, I mentioned in an earlier post that we needed a subscription level of at least 400 to keep the Journal viable in its current format. It is nice to be able to say that resubscriptions are going fairly well and almost half are now in. 123 people have yet to respond, but of these 70 are 'long-haul' subscribers who have been with us for several years, quite a few from the very start back in 1996. We are now just 63 short of the magic 400 so I am hoping that many of these 70 stay with us - is anyone reading this on the list? :roll:

Just for reference, we have so far sold 458 copies of Journal 44, but the previous seven were all over 500, so we have a bit of a way to go still.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am amazed that so many (yes, some of our regulars here) wait until they get a reminder before re-subscribing. Don't they realise that this adds considerably to the administative costs of the Society?

Instructions

Open Journal
Notice form, that means you need to re-subscribe
Open EBS website
Click on 'Subscribe'
Re-subscribe via PayPal
Job Done

Tony is now a happy bunny, and you can feel assured that you have done your bit for the Society.

It's not that difficult, is it? :roll:
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Very well said. :)
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

Tony, I think that many people read the Journal when they are not exactly at the computer.

What if you (the web) could send an automatic email when you are ready to end the subscription?
In that way, the mail will include a link to Paypal and possibly would be more effective; just click!

Personally I renew my subscription when I remember because the subscription form always appears when I'm reading my journal sitting comfortably in my favorite chair ... Far from the computer.

Greetings.
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I guess that would make it easier for members, Oscar, but it would mean a lot more work for me! :roll:

Journal 44 had 264 resubscriptions. I would have to work out who needed an email and who didn't and I would then find that about half didn't have email addresses (or haven't given them to me) - it could get very difficult!

Many thanks for your resubscription for Journals 46-48, I am surprised you have got your reminder so quickly, but you are the first person to resubscribe! :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think I'm one of the guilty ones here! :cry: Not because I forget, but because I never know when I need to send my subscription money, I know it's due when Tony puts in the slip of paper!! If I knew exactly what month I need to send my money through, then I'd put it on the calender and wouldn't wait for Tony's slip of paper! :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Oscar Spain

Post by Oscar Spain »

Tony, I'm honored to be a member of the Blyton Society. Am I still the only Spanish? :)
Thanks for all the effort you make.
By the way, I would like to interview you for Enid Blyton's website in Spain, could I send the interview by e-mail?
Oscar P.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Followers of our Facebook page will see that we "Like" the famous five on Facebook. Our good friend Oscar Spain is now in charge of this site and it is well worth a look. There are some evocative pictures of Kirrin Island there to peruse...
Society Member
Oscar Spain

Post by Oscar Spain »

Thank you very much Moonraker! Just now I´ll post a message for the convenience to become a member of Blyton Society! :D
Oscar P.