New Weekly Serial

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: New Weekly Serial

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't think I could wait until the entire story is finished. I'm too nosy and want to see what happens weekly.

Praise from Tony saying your next is a 'cracker' Rob. I've got that compliment yet to come for any of my contributions. :cry:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Now I feel embarrassed! :oops:

I agree with you Julie that I'm too nosy to wait until a series is finished! It would be like those people who leave a few Christmas presents to open on New Years Day! i could never manage that! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote:I found that if I read the serial weekly I was forgetting the storyline and having to constantly re-read the previous week's episode. I'm another who will read the whole story when the serialisation is complete.
Oh, me too. I have always hated serials - even now, if we want to watch, say, a 6-part TV drama, we record all parts then binge-watch in one evening. Game of Thrones is an exception, one episode at a time is enough!
Chrissie wrote:Also it interrupts the flow for me (when I read a book by EB, I try to finish it within one or two days, because I cannot put it down).
Yes, me too. As a child I used to devour Blyton's from the library like an eagle with a starling. I could no more read a chapter and then think, "I'll read the next one next week!" I'm completely with you on this, Chrissie.

I can, however, understand that our writers are eager to hear praise. It must be frustrating to have written the story only to get no feedback. However, I wonder what the reaction would be if it was critical?! Thankfully, I have enjoyed everything that I have read so far!
Tony wrote: I guess that none of these 'completeists' will go anywhere near your serial until early April next year! Their loss as it is a cracker! :roll:
That's a new one, "competeists"! It goes without saying, Tony, that people who want to read a story when it is complete, will wait. There is no need to roll your eyes at us and it certainly isn't a loss. I like to read books at my own speed and how much I read in one sitting. If it grips me and is a real page-turner, I might even read it in one sitting. The point is, I want to decide how much I read and do not wish to be restricted by a serial format. There is also no possibility of me making a book last from August until next April! I'll leave that to the 'serialists'! :roll: (15-all)
Julie wrote:Praise from Tony saying your next is a 'cracker' Rob. I've got that compliment yet to come for any of my contributions. :cry:
Haha! Poor Julie. Maybe you could ask Rob for some tips! :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Yes, me too. As a child I used to devour Blyton's from the library like an eagle with a starling. I could no more read a chapter and then think, "I'll read the next one next week!" I'm completely with you on this, Chrissie.
I guess we all approach things differently. I've never read a Blyton book in only one or two sittings - or any other book for that matter. I've been reading The Naughtiest Girl Is A Monitor for around two weeks now, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I appreciate books far better read at a slower pace - mostly because at university etc, I skim-read books I wasn't interested in, and finished them as quickly as possible. With an enjoyable book, I never want it to end! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:I can, however, understand that our writers are eager to hear praise. It must be frustrating to have written the story only to get no feedback. However, I wonder what the reaction would be if it was critical?! Thankfully, I have enjoyed everything that I have read so far!
8)

personally, I welcome (constructive!) criticism. In fact, I'd prefer it to faint praise. It's the only way we can improve as writers. I rate my own writing so lowly that I wouldn't be offended at all if someone gave me constructive criticism. I know that my writing isn't half as good as other people's, but its all I can do.

Moonraker wrote:Haha! Poor Julie. Maybe you could ask Rob for some tips! :D
Stirrer! :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've been known to read a Blyton book within hours, let alone days! :lol: But I don't mind serialising a story either.

I must admit the only reason why I haven't been reading any of the serials offered by our writers here is that in every case (the Famous Five, the Find-Outers, the Barney mysteries, the Secret Seven) I haven't yet read all of Enid's original books in any of those series, so I feel I ought to at least do that much before reading any new stories!! :oops: :oops: :oops: But I will get to them one day...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol:

You'll have about 100 serials to read by that time, lol! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I have a question, Rob: how many continuation stories from the suspenseful EB series (Secret series, Secret Seven, FFO & Dog, FF, Barney, Adventure series) are actually out there?

I know there's a continuation of "The Boy Next Door" (I printed it out and read it, it was great! 8) ).
And are there any other continuation stories for the suspenseful stand-alone books like "The Treasure Hunters" or "The Hollow Tree House"?

I wish there would be another part to the first 3 Adventurous Four books!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm not sure, Chrissie. I only really follow the continuation stories on this EB site, apart from Hulie's excellent Find-Outers as grown-ups stories, which I think are very good indeed. I don't think there have been any follow-on books for The Treasure Hunters or Hollow Tree House - not sure where those two could be taken, as they are rounded off quite well, but there's always a chance someone might write something! :-)

The Adventurous Four books certainly could stand another addition though, I think - though their setting would be fairly restrictive, as they tend to revolve around Andy and his boat! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I did have an idea for The Treasure Hunters, and may use that at some point, but then I got involved in the one I'm doing at the moment. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie, I'm looking forward to read both of them. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote: I printed out your "Narrowboat" FF story and then Julie's "Rook's Rock Mystery" right after and still had no time to read them. That's why I didn't write any feedback yet, but I will. Promise.
Never thought that being retired could be that busy! :roll:
Hopefully you'll enjoy my Narrowboat story, Chrissie, as it has plenty of secret passages! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

That sounds very promising, Rob. I'm sure I will enjoy each secret passage plus the rest of the story.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I guess we all approach things differently. I've never read a Blyton book in only one or two sittings - or any other book for that matter. I've been reading The Naughtiest Girl Is A Monitor for around two weeks now, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I appreciate books far better read at a slower pace - mostly because at university etc, I skim-read books I wasn't interested in, and finished them as quickly as possible. With an enjoyable book, I never want it to end! :-D
Yes, we approach things differently, Rob.
I always read 3 books parallel, because I sometimes worry that I might not have enough years left in my life to read them all (and to re-read the ones that I love so much that I usually re-read them on a bi-yearly basis).
My biggest obstacle is that my reading speed is getting slower with aging and there seem to be more and more things everyday that interfere with uninterrupted reading. :evil:
Sometimes I wish there would be a stop button and I could read uninterrupted for 3 hours at a time, but that never seems to happen anymore. :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:personally, I welcome (constructive!) criticism. In fact, I'd prefer it to faint praise. It's the only way we can improve as writers. I rate my own writing so lowly that I wouldn't be offended at all if someone gave me constructive criticism. I know that my writing isn't half as good as other people's, but its all I can do.
Often enough other forumites already wrote what I was thinking about a continuation story, that's why I don't post. I could only repeat what they wrote, but don't want to blow up the forum unnecessarily. :|
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock