Five on a Treasure Island 1st . Wrong wrapper

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
PatrickB
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty

Five on a Treasure Island 1st . Wrong wrapper

Post by PatrickB »

Just saw the item below on Ebay .. First edition with a later dustwrapper, tho the description gives no indication that it is ( or have I missed something ),hope none of the bidders think they're getting a 1st with a 1sr wrapper !!

I have bought off the seller before , so hope it's a genuine omission

What sort of price would a copy like that ( minus wrapper go for, bidding up to £16.51 already ) ? It's not in particularly good nick .

Has anyone else bought Blyton books only to find out later the wrapper isn't the correct one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-On-Treas ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Five on a Treasure Island 1st . Wrong wrapper

Post by Fiona1986 »

Maybe I'm missing something myself but that looks like a first edition wrapper to me? It has the same front and the white spine as the one in the Cave of Books.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It seems to list the Five's up to get into trouble on the left of the wrapper?

How about this 1st edition 7th impression one?
Buy now £59.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON-F ... SwB-1Y3orw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ah! I didn't zoom in any closer. I didn't realise that the white spines were around long enough for that many books to be listed on them either.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Shouldn't be any other books listed should there ... I'm guessing with Five get into Trouble listed on the wrapper it must be around a 5th impression wrapper on the First Edition book . Just can see where the seller says this . I did mail him querying it two days ago no reply yet . As I say have bought off him before
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I saw this book the other day on eBay - it was obvious to me straight away - but I see someone is bidding for it - hope they realise its not a 'first'. The book is a lot more tatty than the wrapper, which is what alerted me. It would be very unusual to have such a good wrapper on a first edition. Then I noticed all the 'Fives' listed.

I was duped a bit the other day, buying a copy of 'Five Get Into trouble' listed as being a 1951 edition. I guessed by the price that it probably wasn't - £4.99 - but I bought it anyway, honestly, just to sell it! When it arrived, sure enough it was a 1964 edition and didn't even have the coloured end papers or illustrations. :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote: How about this 1st edition 7th impression one?
Buy now £59.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON-F ... SwB-1Y3orw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've said this before I know, but it REALLY annoys me that its acceptable to list a book as a First Edition even though its a later impression. So many writers do this - but make sure it says 'First Edition' in big bold letters and only list the impression if you look into it more deeply. :evil: I'd rather they just put the year printed.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I knew that would stir you Rob!
I would rather have a copy like the £60 quid one than a £3k genuine 1st from one of the other higher priced sellers though!

Society Member
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Rob Houghton wrote:Yes - I saw this book the other day on eBay - it was obvious to me straight away - but I see someone is bidding for it - hope they realise its not a 'first'. The book is a lot more tatty than the wrapper, which is what alerted me. It would be very unusual to have such a good wrapper on a first edition. Then I noticed all the 'Fives' listed.

I was duped a bit the other day, buying a copy of 'Five Get Into trouble' listed as being a 1951 edition. I guessed by the price that it probably wasn't - £4.99 - but I bought it anyway, honestly, just to sell it! When it arrived, sure enough it was a 1964 edition and didn't even have the coloured end papers or illustrations. :evil:
I hope they realise to . Think the buyer who keeps bidding only has 26 stars / feedback . Which made me wonder if he realised ..what would you say the book was worth without a wrapper ?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Not a lot, in such a crummy-looking condition. :x

Incidentally, I see the seller says "Unfortunately I do not offer refunds." Is that legal under eBay's rules? Surely if you buy an item and it turns out to be somehow not what you expected, you have a right to ask for your money back?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Without a wrapper - a genuine first edition of Five On A Treasure Island - I have no idea but I would probably try it at £15 tops myself. Then I'd probably have to reduce it eventually! I would normally sell a FF without a wrapper for £6 or under depending on condition.

All my other Famous Fives with post 1950 wrappers are £10 or £8 depending on what edition they are. It always amazes me that I struggle to sell them at that price, while others seem to be selling them for three times as much!

Pete - that Five On A Treasure Island in a wrapper doesn't look too bad. The copy I have is also the 1950 edition - the last time it appeared in that wrapper, I think. I payed a lot less than that though - about £20 - but that was a good 15 years ago!

Unfortunately I don't think I have a FOATI book for sale on eBay - but similar editions (pre 1950) of other books (such as Smuggler's Top etc) I have sold for about £25. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

meanwhile - in the world of Ebay, anything is possible -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-Get-Into ... SwDrNZSGue

:shock: :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Rob Houghton wrote:Without a wrapper - a genuine first edition of Five On A Treasure Island - I have no idea but I would probably try it at £15 tops myself. Then I'd probably have to reduce it eventually! I would normally sell a FF without a wrapper for £6 or under depending on condition.

All my other Famous Fives with post 1950 wrappers are £10 or £8 depending on what edition they are. It always amazes me that I struggle to sell them at that price, while others seem to be selling them for three times as much!

Pete - that Five On A Treasure Island in a wrapper doesn't look too bad. The copy I have is also the 1950 edition - the last time it appeared in that wrapper, I think. I payed a lot less than that though - about £20 - but that was a good 15 years ago!

Unfortunately I don't think I have a FOATI book for sale on eBay - but similar editions (pre 1950) of other books (such as Smuggler's Top etc) I have sold for about £25. 8)
I really struggle with the prices of some books, for instance checking on abebooks I bought a copy of Banshee Towers( first ed / fine / fine ) in 2004 for £65 . No idea what I sold it for !! But bought a very good copy of same ( as good as the earlier one I suspect) for £30 this year !!

And did same with a copy of Demons Rocks

I guess it's a case of some booksellers putting no huge mark ups on some books, or is it like Elvis memorabilia where the price has dropped because the people who bought and listened to his stuff are dead !!

Or will decent copies always hold there value ?
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Whilst maybe around 8/10 readers seem to agree Banshee Towers is a rather poor last book about Fatty and his chums I don't think it was printed in vast quantities,thus making it much harder to find - see Fiona's post about her search for it!!
Banshee Towers, You Are Mine
Posted on November 17, 2012 by fiona

Well, it has happened. Much sooner than I’d anticipated; my long wished for copy of The Mystery of Banshee Towers arrived today. “But weren’t you going on about ordering it just the other day?” I hear you ask. Yes, I placed the order on Thursday night and received the book on Saturday morning. My sincerest thanks to Windmill Books over at abebooks for obviously posting my book first thing on Friday, and also to Royal Fail ahem Mail for managing to deliver a first class item in one day.
https://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/201 ... -are-mine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

One of these days it is actually going to get through to people that this is not a particularly rare book, I guess I must have seen at least 40 copies of it over the years, probably more, and I don't call that scarce! There are still some Blyton books that I have never even seen a single copy being offered for sale. The thing about this book is that there are a lot of people who want a copy as they think it is the 'jewel in the crown' of Blyton books and at last half of these are investors rather than collectors.

What are scarce are copies in really nice dustwrappers, but that isn't surprising as it applies to most children's books of a similar age, but anybody prepared to spend the sort of money being asked for this copy on eBay needs . . . I had better not continue as someone reading this might have it on their watch list!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enid-Blyton-F ... fresh=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;