Five on a Treasure Island 1st . Wrong wrapper

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Five on a Treasure Island 1st . Wrong wrapper

Post by John Pickup »

The first Enid Blyton books published in Armada were the two Adventurous Four books, the Naughtiest Girl books and the Mr Galliano circus series. Then they started on the St Clare, Mallory Towers and Five Find Outer books.
There is a marvellous website run by John Allsup called The Armada Paperbacks Website which has the covers for all these and all the other authors they published including Malcolm Saville and Frank Richards. Our very own Tony provided some of the covers for John to update his site.
John can often be found at book fairs in the North mostly with a cup of coffee in his hand. He is a charming man despite suffering with ill-health recently.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I presume that, like Banshee Towers, this marked the moment when those other Enid Blyton books mentioned went into paperback and were also never reprinted as hardbacks ever again - (apart from as Dean books, but not in the original wrappers etc) - but Banshee Towers was unique in this, because it is the only book in a major series never to be reprinted in hardback with wrapper (as far as I know - probably I'm wrong!)

This is why books like Galliano's Circus, Adventurous Four, Hollow Tree House, Naughtiest Girl, etc, are harder to find in hardback with wrappers, as they ceased to be printed in hardback in the early 1960's, whilst other series continued to be published in their original form for a decade after.

All the other series, such as Famous Five, Adventure, Secret Seven, Barney Books, continued to be printed in hardback versions for quite a few years after this. Even Five Are Together Again and Fun For The Secret Seven appear in hardback with dust wrappers for several imprints before the paperback versions arrived in the 1970's.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Rob.
John Pickup wrote: There is a marvellous website run by John Allsup called The Armada Paperbacks Website which has the covers for all these and all the other authors they published including Malcolm Saville and Frank Richards. Our very own Tony provided some of the covers for John to update his site.
Thanks for that info John. I like Ian Regan's site too:

http://seriesbookart.co.uk/blyton/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Two very interesting websites, John and Pete. :D

When I clicked on the 'Return to Main Index' link on the Ian Reagan site, all I got was a symbol of a man digging on a red and black background. Very puzzling! Can anyone explain this?
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

pete9012S wrote:
sixret wrote:My copies of the first eight Famous Five books with white spine djs. They are not first edition although I have those titles in first edition without djs. I also have later printing of H&S illustrated spine djs.

Scroll down and you'll see my copy of Secret Island with dj(ultra scarce online). It is 1947 edition although I have a copy of first edition without dj.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uEQjC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enid-Blyton-T ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other 4 titles in Secret series in djs. They are not first edition although I have the copies of the first editions without djs.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PuCIi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lovely collection Sixret.Thank you for posting. I don't own any 'white spine' five's.I don't know whether to try and collect them all or not as they clash with my uniform 1950's onwards editions..

Very nice and excellent collection, Pete! From what I can see, all of them are wrapped with protective sleeve? That's the plus point. :D

I have to replace one or two titles in in my FF collection because their dust jackets are not in good condition(mostly wrinkled) like yours.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,it's been like that for a long time for me too Eddie - I always have to go into the site using the link I posted above.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Moonraker wrote:
sixret wrote:My copy of Banshee Tower. Only £42. I already have it first edition but without dj.
Am I correct in thinking that Banshee Towers was only printed once (in hardback), so is only available as a first edition. Apologies if I'm mistaken.
I have the same thought like you, Nigel. There's no reprint for Banshee Tower as far as I know. Unless Tony says otherwise. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

sixret wrote: I have to replace one or two titles in in my FF collection because their dust jackets are not in good condition(mostly wrinkled) like yours.
Two or three of my books are the later Brockhampton versions and like Rob mentioned earlier,I wonder should I try and replace them with the earlier Hodder versions with coloured endpapers illustrations etc...a collector's lot is never done,sigh!

I do sometimes wonder why the spines of the last four books changed colour from all the others too???

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I love the Armada covers published in 1960s. They are beautiful so I have been collecting them(EB titles only). One title is still elude me i.e. Upper Fourth at Malory Towers. Until today, the book has been non-existent online.

sixret

Post by sixret »

Exactly, Pete. I have wondered the same thing. Only Tony could supply the answer to that. The change of colours is a nightmare to collectors who love uniformity. :lol:

Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

pete9012S wrote:Yes,it's been like that for a long time for me too Eddie - I always have to go into the site using the link I posted above.
Thanks for your reply, Pete. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Regarding the spines,the USA versions seem even less uniform:

http://www.blytonbooks.co.uk/category/f ... rdd&page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many Five's were released in the USA out of the twenty one?

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:
sixret wrote: I have to replace one or two titles in in my FF collection because their dust jackets are not in good condition(mostly wrinkled) like yours.
Two or three of my books are the later Brockhampton versions and like Rob mentioned earlier,I wonder should I try and replace them with the earlier Hodder versions with coloured endpapers illustrations etc...a collector's lot is never done,sigh!

I do sometimes wonder why the spines of the last four books changed colour from all the others too???
I always view the Brockhampton versions as being very second-rate! I'm still replacing a couple of mine with only black and white illustrations - because the added colour makes a big difference in my view - and also the printing of the illustrations is a lot clearer.

I've always wondered why the last four have different coloured spines, as well, Pete - annoying! It wouldn't have been so bad if every other book had a blue spine, so they looked better on the shelf!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I see that the seller has relisted the book - but as far as I can see hasn't made any changes whatsoever.

I rest my case!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-On-Treas ... SwC9VZfTXy
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :x :evil:

Incidentally, I just found another case of stretching the term "first edition" a little too far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JANE-AUSTEN-1 ... 2458447594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone who knows anything about Jane Austen knows that the first edition of Northanger Abbey was published in 1817, not 1833... when you scroll down, it turns out this is merely the first edition to be published as a single volume. Or in other words, another case of "First Edition Thus". :roll: :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)